1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dip stick

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by DanGer, May 23, 2009.

1. Jun 27, 2014 at 4:55 PM
    91r100gs

91r100gs Understand the Voice Within

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Kansas City area
    Vehicle:
    '08 Impluse Red SR5 I-4
    Factory bed mat, TacomaWorld.com sticker, EGR In-Channel Vent Visors, AFE ProDryS drop in air filter

Did it several times and it read just hair below the upper fill mark. Usually I put in 5.5 qt and it will read a 1/4" above the upper fill mark. It don't think it really makes a difference at all.

2. Jun 28, 2014 at 9:35 AM
    clc clc

clc clc Well-Known Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2012 4x4 reg cab tacoma/2020 subaru crosstrek
    When I put 5.5 in I get about the same level.

3. Jun 28, 2014 at 9:48 AM
    Indy

Indy Master of all I survey.

Member:
    A little extra oil isnt going to hurt anything, like i said before this is not a high precision very low tolerance engine spinning at 14k. Its a mass produced truck engine. If i had an extra 1/2 quart after a change, its going in so i can toss the can.

The only time ive seen actual problems from too much oil was in high school. Guy did his first oil change on an old wagoneer. I dont know its capacity but i do know he didnt either and put in an entire case. If memory serves even the carb and vacuum system ended up filled with oil. Oddly enough that cause him some issues that took a while to get cleared up.

4. Jun 29, 2014 at 6:10 AM
    wgreenlee1021

wgreenlee1021 Off the Meds Again...

Member:
    I think I would put the proper amount in.
    Its just like overfilling the fuel tank.
    If it doesn't cause a problem right away then it will cause problems down the line.

5. Jul 3, 2014 at 7:13 PM
    flyfishinMT

flyfishinMT Active Member

Member:
    AK
    Vehicle:
    2011, AC, 4wd, auto, 4cyl
    K&N filter, Leer 180, WeatherTechs, PopnLock, OEM knock off fogs, Duratracs, 16" FJ Wheels, Avid Lightbar, KC Daylighters
    If its any consolation I got sucked into the whole manual / dipstick debate when I bought mine new in 2011. Since then, I have put 75000 miles on my truck. 2 years worth of a 100 mile a day commute and an overloaded truck / trailer move to Alaska has caused a lot of oil changes.

6 qts put mine about 1/2" above the line on the stick. 5 qts puts me right at the top off the full line on the stick (using the yzzg1 short filter). I've run 5 qts since day 1. no problems and no worries. Always Mobil 1, 0-20 and always Toyota filters.

6. Jul 16, 2014 at 6:28 PM
    SVHANC

SVHANC Kermit

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    '10 4x4 5sp 4cyl Access Cab
    Weathertech Floor Liners, Scangauge 2, Tailgate Hose Clamp, Rear Seat Headrests Removed
    Short filter (stock 4cyl) is about 1/3qt
    Long filter (stock 6cyl) is about 1/2qt
    Biggest filter I know will fit is about 1qt. Fram Ultra XG8A or PureOne PL30001.
    Put 6quarts in at oil change and be happy.
    More filter area improves flow, reduces back pressure, increases dirt holding capacity.
    More oil capacity should allow increased OCI.

7. Jul 18, 2014 at 4:31 PM
    george3

george3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2008 2.7 Manual Trans Tacoma
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    5.5 qts

8. Jul 18, 2014 at 5:18 PM
    cosmicfires

cosmicfires Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    2009 Regular Cab SR5 4cyl 5speed 4x4
    Snugtop cab high canopy.
    6 quarts is above the top mark on my dipstick. That's where the level was when I got it used from the Toyota dealer who'd serviced it. I put in 6 quarts.

9. Aug 17, 2014 at 10:33 AM
    Rubberduck645

Rubberduck645 New Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    2nd love of my life
    I agree more with this guy. I have a 2000 2.4 reg cab Tacoma, and in the manual it say (this is a straight copy & past from page 251 from the 2000 Toyota Tacoma user manual)
    "ENGINE LUBRICATION
    Oil capacity (drain and refill), L (qt., Imp.
    qt.):
    Two- wheel drive models except Pre
    Runner
    2RZ- FE engine
    With filter 5.5 (5.8, 4.8)

So, yes. If you skip straight to that then clearly a 5 qt thing of oil from Walmart is not sufficient. But everyone I've talked to can agree that no matter how awesome Toyota is even they fall pray to the confusing layout of there user manuals. On page 228 from the 2000 Toyota Tacoma user manual. it shows how to use the dip stick. (This is also a copy & past.)

1. To get a true reading, the vehicle
    should be on a level spot. After turning
    off the engine, wait a few minutes for
    the oil to drain back into the bottom of
    the engine.
    2. Pull out the dipstick, and wipe it clean
    with a rag.
    3. Reinsert the dipstick—push it in as far
    as it will go, or the reading will not be
    correct.
    4. Pull the dipstick out and look at the oil
    level on the end.
    CAUTION
    Be careful not to touch the hot exhaust
    manifold.
    If the oil level is below or only slightly
    above the low level, add engine oil of
    the same type as already in the engine.
    Remove the oil filler cap and add engine
    oil in small quantities at a time, checking
    the dipstick.
    The approximate quantity of oil needed to
    fill between the low level and the full level
    on the dipstick is indicated below for reference.
    When the level reaches within the correct
    range, install the filler cap hand- tight.

So what I'm getting at is if you skip straight to the amount of oil youre truck requires page, then yes it would appear that the dip sticks suck and are completely inaccurate. but I think its just like reading anything out of context. So as for me I'm just going to go with what the dip stick says. because thats what my manual says to do.

10. Aug 17, 2014 at 3:44 PM
    weezer

weezer Well-Known Member

Member:
    southeast
    Vehicle:
    tacoma 4x4
    Bilstein 5100 shocks, OME lifting springs, Ivan Stewart 16x8 wheels, AT tires
    i've taken mine to the dealer for oil changes ever since i've owned it. i've asked them about it several times. it's 6.1qts with a filter change even though it's over the full mark on the dipstick.

they say you can use 5.5qts if you don't change the filter or if you have a v6 engine and change the filter use 5.5qts as well.

6.1qts is the right amount regardless of what the dipstick says. full level is actually over the dipstick full mark a good bit.

you will be fine no matter what you do. 5.5 qts or 6.1qts. either will not harm the engine so take your pick. :D

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  11. Aug 17, 2014 at 5:07 PM
    91r100gs

91r100gs Understand the Voice Within

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Kansas City area
    Vehicle:
    '08 Impluse Red SR5 I-4
    Factory bed mat, TacomaWorld.com sticker, EGR In-Channel Vent Visors, AFE ProDryS drop in air filter
    If I get between 5 to 6 qt. in the engine at oil changes, I sleep well at night.

Right now I have 6 qt. in the engine and its way over the top fill mark. My next fill will be the 5 1/3 quarts of Valvoline 5w-20 conventional that I have laying around. That will put it just over the top fill mark. Makes me happy:burnrubber:

12. Feb 25, 2015 at 8:26 PM
    markm0311

markm0311 ________________

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2000 Toyota RAV4
    I know this is an old thread but I thought I'd share what I read tonight after noticing my oil level was WELL over the top dot on the dipstick. (I have a 2.7L)

2.7 L 4-cylinder (2TR-FE) engine: 5.4 qt. (5.1 L, 4.5 Imp.qt.)

Then with an asterisk they say this after stating the fill quantities...

*: The engine oil capacity is a reference quantity to be used when exchanging.
    Warm up and turn off the engine, wait more than 5 minutes, and check the oil
    level on the dipstick.

I don't think there is any other interpretation to this paragraph but "confirm the correct oil level with dipstick". In other words, go off what the dip stick says and not necessarily the estimated fill quantities in the manual.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
    Tijuanataconut likes this.
  13. Feb 26, 2015 at 7:36 AM
    DGXR

DGXR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Friend
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 2.7L SR5 2-wheel drive
    ^exactly right. That's why the quick lube places are notorious for overfilling crankcases - they look up the oil quantity in a chart, pump that quantity into the engine, and call it "good" when that's not necessarily correct. After the service is completed, the vehicle sits outside waiting for the customer anyway, and it would take an extra minute for the techs to check the level on the dipstick before the customer drives away. And the dipstick is not *that* hard to read.

To Top