Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Dip stick

Old 05-23-2009, 09:35 PM   #1
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Dip stick

Can anyone with the 4 banger tell me how high on the dip stick 6.1 qts measures on the dip stick. I had an issue with my last oil change (wrong effin filter given to my by advanced auto) and lost a few quarts when the filter shot off. I know it is better to go by the manual than the dipstick, so I am wondering how much of the dipstick is covered when the oil level is correct
Old 05-23-2009, 09:39 PM   #2
IgnoringChrisWatchingEdLi veVicariouslyThroughMJP2
TacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
TacoNut's Tacoma Gallery
should read between the bottom and top dot.
top dot being full
Old 05-23-2009, 09:40 PM   #3
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
yes I know that, but the dipstick does not provide the accuracy that i am willing to trust my engine to
Old 05-23-2009, 09:42 PM   #4
TacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacoNut's Tacoma Gallery
you won't get an accurate reading from the dip stick... If you want to be exact then it's better to drain and fill
Old 05-23-2009, 09:56 PM   #5
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoNut View Post
you won't get an accurate reading from the dip stick... If you want to be exact then it's better to drain and fill
Exactly, which is what I am trying to avoid by getting others oil levels on dipstick when full by owners manual standards
Old 05-23-2009, 09:57 PM   #6

TacoNut's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgerm View Post
Exactly, which is what I am trying to avoid by getting others oil levels on dipstick when full by owners manual standards
As long as you're between the two dots on the dip stick you'll be fine.
Old 05-23-2009, 10:03 PM   #7
stockoma is on a distinguished road
stockoma's Tacoma Gallery
Talking shot???? off......

I am trying to wrap my mind around " shot off " ........ shot...... off....... shot...... off...... shot off shot off....... s.h.o.t. o.f.f..... fleww flown, flown, off flew off fleeeeewwwww off.....

weeeeee i just cant doo it!.... I have never lost an ( in use)oil filter I have lost 20 oil filter wrenches may be 2 of them in use. and may be one off them may have defied gravity for a few seconds. but I cant really say it flew. shot.... off... shot off..... shot off....

Trying to still trying to wrap.....

I have had a few LEAK, I think I have seen one may be two burst. I have had to take one off with a screw driver and a hammer..... WAIT..... I think that filter FLEW.... YES, I threw that SOMBITCHINTHANG after i got it off of my 79 toyota..... But that is because i but it on with one of my 20 filter wrenches that I have had.... Some times being ADD is a pain in the ass..... 1/4 turn means..... 1/4 TURN!!!
FLEW OFF Has any one else ever launched a filter into orbit?
Old 05-23-2009, 10:12 PM   #8
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
haha! Advanced gave me a 104 part number instead of a 102. I installed it and noticed the thread was different, and it did not turn many times before it was seated tightly. I turned the truck on and a few seconds later I heard a loud CLUNK. I shut the engine off and stepped out of the truck, and in between my feet was the brand new filter. The clunk was it rebounding off the floor into the bottom of my truck.

Also there were a few qts of brand new oil on floor.

see this http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...tml#post617827
Old 05-23-2009, 10:24 PM   #9
once....

One of my friends has an 07 accord.... the dealer put the wrong filter on his NEW accord....
The wife ( kinda like " here, hold my beer) drove the car home and left the filter a few blocks from the dealer. Her statement was... "Honey, we need to take the car back and have them turn the oil light off"

Just read your link.... Viper's two gasket idea rang a bell!!!... I have had that happen too.
Old 05-23-2009, 10:26 PM   #10
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
haha that is hilarious. Probably like my reaction when my girlfriend told me she couldn't remember when her last oil change happened
Old 05-23-2009, 10:38 PM   #11
Talking Some people need electric cars

Some need to take the buss....
Old 05-28-2009, 03:05 PM   #12
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
When I use 6 qts the dip stick reads a fair amount over the top dot. Somewhere around 1/2" higher. The dip stick is just a rough indicator of oil level. The specifications stated in the manual will be exactly the same for each engine regardless of what the dip stick reads.

I put in 6-6.1qts and call it done (w/ the standard size filter)
Old 05-28-2009, 06:32 PM   #13
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC4333 View Post
When I use 6 qts the dip stick reads a fair amount over the top dot. Somewhere around 1/2" higher. The dip stick is just a rough indicator of oil level. The specifications stated in the manual will be exactly the same for each engine regardless of what the dip stick reads.

I put in 6-6.1qts and call it done (w/ the standard size filter)
Thanks for the info!
Old 05-28-2009, 07:05 PM   #15
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonTacoma View Post
now thats thinking with your dip stick!
Jimmy!
Old 05-28-2009, 07:07 PM   #16
ClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Army Guard 31B
Name: Cam
ClemsonTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Jimmy!
gotta love it...i want a bumper sticker. that and the geico money
Old 06-05-2009, 06:03 AM   #17
Prerunners Work
PSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PSJ's Tacoma Gallery
Using the 6.1 qts w/filter change mine also reads high on the dip stick. Toyota has used different filters with this motor, a smaller size and a larger one. I have changed my oil twice with the smaller one, #90915-YZZD1, and am reading high on the stick. I wonder if I had used the larger version (not sure of the part #) would it have "read correctly".
When I purchased the truck, it read high as well from the beginning, so this is what I refer to as the top fill level.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:14 AM   #18
Banned
Pster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Pster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
haha! Advanced gave me a 104 part number instead of a 102. I installed it and noticed the thread was different, and it did not turn many times before it was seated tightly. I turned the truck on and a few seconds later i heard a loud clunk. I shut the engine off and stepped out of the truck, and in between my feet was the brand new filter. The clunk was it rebounding off the floor into the bottom of my truck.

Also there were a few qts of brand new oil on floor.

See this http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...tml#post617827
do not trust parts store clerks to give the correct anything.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:34 AM   #19
jrws6 is a jewel in the roughjrws6 is a jewel in the roughjrws6 is a jewel in the roughjrws6 is a jewel in the rough

Army: 101st Airborne
Name: Jason
jrws6's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSJ View Post
Using the 6.1 qts w/filter change mine also reads high on the dip stick. Toyota has used different filters with this motor, a smaller size and a larger one. I have changed my oil twice with the smaller one, #90915-YZZD1, and am reading high on the stick. I wonder if I had used the larger version (not sure of the part #) would it have "read correctly".
When I purchased the truck, it read high as well from the beginning, so this is what I refer to as the top fill level.
I know the manual says 6.1qts is the proper ammount, but I read on here that alot of guys are using 5.5 qts which reads correctly on the dipstick. 6.1qts on my 4cyl, 4WD AC seems to read high.
How much oil do you guys put in your truck?
Old 06-10-2009, 03:21 PM   #20
Prerunners Work
PSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PSJ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrws6 View Post
I know the manual says 6.1qts is the proper ammount, but I read on here that alot of guys are using 5.5 qts which reads correctly on the dipstick. 6.1qts on my 4cyl, 4WD AC seems to read high.
How much oil do you guys put in your truck?
You should decide which way to go, the manufacture's spec or the reading of the dipstick. Remember, it is a 2.7l 4 cyl producing 159hp...