LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Painting stock rims?

Old 06-29-2009, 02:00 PM   #1
bboynowee is a name known to allbboynowee is a name known to allbboynowee is a name known to allbboynowee is a name known to allbboynowee is a name known to allbboynowee is a name known to all

bboynowee's Tacoma Gallery
Exclamation Painting stock rims?

I am considering painting my stock rims but not sure what type of paint brand should I use...Any suggestion?
Old 06-29-2009, 02:01 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
when i painted my stock wheels....i used some good primer and then used rustoleum hammered finish black. if the paint chips any....its easy to touch up.
Old 06-29-2009, 02:05 PM   #3
Whiskey bent and hell bound.
Hoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: I'm TWITTER FAMOUS.
Name: Devin
Hoyal's Tacoma Gallery
I painted my wheels on my wrx, I wet sanded all the wheels then cleaned with simple green. Then I used a good primer, then Dupli color black wheel paint from auto zone like two coats then wet sanded again then another coat of black, then cleared the shit out of them with the dupli-color clear coat for wheels. With the clear I kept the can really far away from the wheels to keep them from getting foggy.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:48 PM   #4
Dafuq
Who Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ricky
Who Dat Popcorn's Tacoma Gallery
I wet sanded mine, then used duplicolor adhesion promoter, duplicolor engine paint --gloss black, and duplicolor clear coat. I think they turned out great

Old 07-01-2009, 12:21 PM   #5
bboynowee is a name known to allbboynowee is a name known to allbboynowee is a name known to allbboynowee is a name known to allbboynowee is a name known to allbboynowee is a name known to all

What do you guys mean by wet sanded?
Old 07-01-2009, 12:22 PM   #6
Rocking your mom's world Since 1997
drew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

drew02a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bboynowee View Post
I am considering painting my stock rims but not sure what type of paint brand should I use...Any suggestion?
Which rims do you have?
Old 07-01-2009, 12:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew02a View Post
Which rims do you have?
I have the stock 05 pre runner rims
Old 07-01-2009, 12:24 PM   #8
Whiskey bent and hell bound.
Hoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: I'm TWITTER FAMOUS.
Name: Devin
Hoyal's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
What do you guys mean by wet sanded?
I took a really fine grit sand paper and a hose and sanded while the water ran over the area that I was sanding. Helps the paint stick I guess.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:25 PM   #9
Rocking your mom's world Since 1997
drew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

drew02a's Tacoma Gallery
I did mine with flat black Rustoleum, the industrial application version. I just added some pics in my build thread.

I think the stock rims look best with a flat finish while the TRD and other better designed rims look good with a satin or gloss.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyal View Post
I took a really fine grit sand paper and a hose and sanded while the water ran over the area that I was sanding. Helps the paint stick I guess.
o ok...haha...thanks man...
Old 07-01-2009, 01:12 PM   #11
GoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to all

Air Force: Load Toad (462/2W1)
Name: Jon
GoBlueFan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyal View Post

Has nothing to do with helping the paint stick. Wet sanding involves the use of a liquid lubricant (usually water) to help keep the sandpaper from clogging up. It also produces a much cleaner surface to paint/buff. It also makes your sand paper last much longer.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:01 PM   #12
once flirted with danger, danger got clingy
magikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: greg
magikbean562's Tacoma Gallery
i used krylon high temp grill paint.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:48 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by magikbean562 View Post
i used krylon high temp grill paint.

Wow! nice!...i want my stock to like look that...so did you at least use a primer?
Old 07-01-2009, 08:01 PM   #14
MUDFISH is a name known to allMUDFISH is a name known to allMUDFISH is a name known to allMUDFISH is a name known to allMUDFISH is a name known to allMUDFISH is a name known to all

MUDFISH's Tacoma Gallery
take a look at this thread... one of the best I've found for DIY Rims...

I should be doing mine in the next week or so...

http://www.customtacos.com/forum/sho...87#post1612987
Old 07-01-2009, 08:45 PM   #15
once flirted with danger, danger got clingy
magikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: greg
magikbean562's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Wow! nice!...i want my stock to like look that...so did you at least use a primer?

nope and just did 1 coat

Old 07-01-2009, 11:37 PM   #16
Ban Pending
HBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
HBMurphy's Tacoma Gallery
Just painted my stock wheels before I throw them out! - Kinda kidding. Also like the idea of the rustoleum hammered finish black.

Here are my current wheels (Duplicolor Graphite):

Good video from Duplicolor on painting wheels:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3s4nMR0yxk

Here's a video of wheels I might waste, I mean spend, my money on...
http://vimeo.com/5186672