LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Tacoma rattle in back

Old 07-27-2009, 10:21 AM   #1
dgjones is on a distinguished road
dgjones's Tacoma Gallery
Tacoma rattle in back

Hi there, I have a very annoying rattle coming from the left rear of my 09 Taco regular cab. It sounds like it is coming from inside the bed or under in the suspension. It rattles every time I hit a bump. I have heard that it could be the plastic bed liner rattling against the frame.

My dealer sucks and it's going to be a while until I get it in. Just wanted to see if anyone has had this.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:28 AM   #2
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
I think some found lose bed bolts on their truck. I am not certain what year though. I would suggest trying that to at least rule it out.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:56 AM   #3
epa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eduardo
epa4wd's Tacoma Gallery
Yup I have the rattle too in my reg cab, it doesn't bother me, but its there, Im going to check the bed bolts.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:19 PM   #4
Master Jedi Member I am...
chad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Chad
chad68's Tacoma Gallery
Could it be those platistic cubby hole doors in the bed? First thing i did was removed them, since I figured somebody would just eventually steal them and I would never use them anyway. I put the adj. tie down brackets behind the seat.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:28 PM   #5
epa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
epa4wd's Tacoma Gallery
At least in mine is not the cubby hole doors, I think that there are a few things that rattle back there:

1. My fuel door rattle a little bit, I fixed that with a bit of foam tape in the hinge.
2. Check the rear drivers side plastic wheel well, the side closest to the door, mine vibrates and makes a rattle sound, also try hitting the plastic bed trough the wheel well right above the rear driver's side tire.
3. I have a rattle that Im guessing is the one you are describing which sound like its a metal rattle, I can replicate the sound hitting the rear driver's side leaf spring from below.
Old 07-27-2009, 05:57 PM   #6
motoretro has a spectacular aura aboutmotoretro has a spectacular aura about
motoretro's Tacoma Gallery
I took mine to dealer for this and they thought leaf springs.....said they were going to check with Toyota on it and get back w/ me. That was a month ago. Truck didn't make the noise until after last winter. I now have 11,600 miles on the truck. I did notice it's a lot quieter with gate down.....I wonder if the metal ends on limit cables are making noise when un-tensioned with gate up? I did check the bed bolts and there very tight. Another thing might be the clips on springs which loosen up after a few miles......might try squeezing them together with large c-clamp tomorrow. Will let you know what happens.

Motoretro
Old 07-27-2009, 08:53 PM   #7
dgjones's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by epa4wd View Post
At least in mine is not the cubby hole doors, I think that there are a few things that rattle back there:

1. My fuel door rattle a little bit, I fixed that with a bit of foam tape in the hinge.
2. Check the rear drivers side plastic wheel well, the side closest to the door, mine vibrates and makes a rattle sound, also try hitting the plastic bed trough the wheel well right above the rear driver's side tire.
3. I have a rattle that Im guessing is the one you are describing which sound like its a metal rattle, I can replicate the sound hitting the rear driver's side leaf spring from below.
yea that is the same thing I have. I think it might be the leaf spring.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:54 PM   #8
dgjones's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoretro View Post
I took mine to dealer for this and they thought leaf springs.....said they were going to check with Toyota on it and get back w/ me. That was a month ago. Truck didn't make the noise until after last winter. I now have 11,600 miles on the truck. I did notice it's a lot quieter with gate down.....I wonder if the metal ends on limit cables are making noise when un-tensioned with gate up? I did check the bed bolts and there very tight. Another thing might be the clips on springs which loosen up after a few miles......might try squeezing them together with large c-clamp tomorrow. Will let you know what happens.

Motoretro
K thanks I'll check back.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:59 PM   #9
I crawled under the truck today with a rubber mallet and after a few minutes banging away, determined the noise we're hearing is leaf springs. My passenger side rattles when you tap the two springs up by the hanger. If you hold onto the springs with one hand including the overload while tapping, the noise stops so in my opinion it must be from the spring not be held as tight as when new. My bother borrowed all my C-clamps for boat building project but i hope to get back a couple tomorrow to tweak the clamps with. The inserts in the spring clamps are harder than I would have guessed. I'm guessing they have worn just enough to allow some movement and noise. I'm hoping that by pushing in the clamps, they will add pressure to the assembly, stopping the noise. At least that's the game plan.

Motoretro
Old 07-28-2009, 07:02 PM   #10
epa4wd's Tacoma Gallery
lets us know how it works out.
Old 08-29-2009, 08:43 AM   #11
epa4wd's Tacoma Gallery
Any updates on this Motoretro? Did you tighten the clamps?
Old 01-10-2010, 01:42 PM   #12
BSP4x4
BSP4x4's Tacoma Gallery
?
update?
Old 01-10-2010, 05:09 PM   #13
Sorry for the very late reply guys. I was injured late in the summer so I did not mess with it again. Decided to sell the truck in the fall due to losing my pension. Truck is still for sale...been a rough year
Motoretro
Old 01-10-2010, 06:59 PM   #14
BSP4x4
BSP4x4's Tacoma Gallery
sorry to hear man! good luck, maybe you won't have to end up selling
Old 01-25-2010, 06:24 PM   #15
DanTacoMan is on a distinguished road
Name: Dan
DanTacoMan's Tacoma Gallery
That same rattle you describe was driving me crazy for the first couple of weeks when i first bought the truck. I discovered its the leaf springs. They smack up against the helper springs due to the fact that the leafs are soft. If you stand in the bed over the wheels and hop up and down you will notice it. Toyota didnt do a very good job with those leafs. Ive been dying to replace them but im not sure what to buy since the tacoma had that damn lean to it. i think the leafs are different on both sides. Any one ever change them?
Old 01-25-2010, 06:39 PM   #16
epa4wd's Tacoma Gallery
There was another model of Tacoma that had the same problem, there was a TSB released for them, part of the TSB was simply to add like a rubber tape on the helper spring, I did something similar to my leaf springs using industrial strength rubber that you can stick on the leaf spring, it helped a lot there is still some noise but is now muffled so it isn't as annoying as before,
Old 03-30-2010, 07:15 PM   #17
rjreynolds is on a distinguished road
rjreynolds's Tacoma Gallery
sound from the back

Same here. Every time I go over a bump, I hear a sound from the back. I went to the dealership not too long ago to complain about it. The attendant told me it was more likely the leaf springs. It seems like I was not the first one in to complain. They told me to make an appointment and bring it in, but there was no talk as to whether it is covered under warranty or anything. Does anyone know if something like this is covered under warranty or not?
Old 02-04-2011, 08:58 AM   #18
TacoBirr is on a distinguished road
Name: Greg
TacoBirr's Tacoma Gallery
05 bed rattle solved?

My 2005 Taco's bed started rattling--visibly jumping up and down, front-right corner--when the truck was 5 yrs old with 65,000 easy on-road miles.

As you know, the bed--steel sides and all--is held to the chassis with four bolts. The ones visible from inside the bed. I think these are the "loose bolts" referred to in several posts below.

My front-right bolt looked loose, 'cause there was a gap under it's head when I stood in the bed. Wrong! It was very tight. In fact, the composite material of the bed had worn away where it sits on the chassis (visible through wheel well. Lift the bed while you're looking). It didn't take long for 3/16" of material to wear away.

I pointed it out to one of the two nearby Toyota dealers, but they had no clue what to do. They did offer to sell me a new bolt for a huge price.

I was going to make a gasket out of old tire sidewall when a friend gave me a piece of rubber conveyor belt material to try. Make it about 3" in dia., put a bolt-sized hole in the middle, perfect. Install between bed and chassis by removing the bolt etc etc.

It's still fine after a year and 14,000 miles.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:56 AM   #19
frog13 is on a distinguished road
frog13's Tacoma Gallery
Also check your spare tire unit underneath the bed....make sure it's tight!.
Old 04-16-2011, 06:17 AM   #20
Earthy is on a distinguished road
Earthy's Tacoma Gallery
I have this rattle when I hit rough spots at low speed. Any other ideas or updates? Sounds like the muffler or exhaust moving around and hitting something but when I moved it it seemed solid.