Notices

Grinding noise at high speed decel.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:11 PM   #1
billy_oliver880 is on a distinguished road
Name: Tony
billy_oliver880's Tacoma Gallery
Grinding noise at high speed decel.

Hi Folks,

Just bought my regular cab sr5 with the 2.7 ltr and manual trans 3 weeks ago with 35000 miles. I have taking a couple of long weekend trips with it already and it is quite nice. But when I am on 4 lane doing an indicated 80-85 mph and I take my foot off the gas I get a metallic grinding noise from the rear of the vehicle. I don't get it all the time and it seemed to settle down after fueling up? Any ideas on what to look for? I will be talking to the dealership but I would like to know what I should be looking for first.

Also when shifting I have noticed that the rpms when shifting do no drop when im shifting from 4th gear to 5th. I push the clutch in and wait to see and finally it will drop if I pause for 3 or 4 seconds but to me that seems very strange.

Thanks folks for any help you might have!
Old 08-02-2009, 09:17 PM   #2
senile member
Tacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Ex Navy. subs
Tacoyota's Tacoma Gallery
the throttle sorta lingers, its electronic now, takes a little getting used to. The grind..., tough one, could it be the ring gears? change the gear oil?
Old 08-02-2009, 09:59 PM   #3
billy_oliver880 is on a distinguished road
Name: Tony
billy_oliver880's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoyota View Post
the throttle sorta lingers, its electronic now, takes a little getting used to. The grind..., tough one, could it be the ring gears? change the gear oil?
It goes away if you get back into the throttle and does not go away when you hit the brakes. I will let the dealership worry about it.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:57 AM   #4
Professionull
battlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
battlescars's Tacoma Gallery
The grinding noise sounds like your pinion angle is incorrect, I would check to make sure the u-bolts are tightened or just a good physical inspection of the driveshaft to see if the 3rd member are inline with each other.

As for your RPM's not dropping, check the throttle plate and the return spring (sometimes crap likes to get in there).
Old 08-03-2009, 09:24 AM   #5
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Are you sure it isn't just the brakes?
Old 08-03-2009, 10:23 AM   #6
Fast1 is on a distinguished road
Fast1's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ay-speeds.html
Old 08-03-2009, 03:45 PM   #7
senile member
Tacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Ex Navy. subs
Tacoyota's Tacoma Gallery
2nd gen is fly by wire, no throttle linkage n such
Old 08-04-2009, 12:12 AM   #8
Master Jedi Member I am...
chad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Chad
chad68's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast1 View Post

LOL I was gonna comment on this till I saw my link. I'm just waiting for my noise to get really bad before i deal with the dealer. I just try to think the noise gives the truck character LOL