1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Possibility for a deck plate mod on 2nd gen taco air box.

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by Mike_Sem, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Aug 10, 2009 at 1:03 PM
    Mike_Sem

Mike_Sem [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Van Nuys
    Vehicle:
    '06 PreRunner
    So I joined yesterday because I was sure that I could get some handy dandy info from tacoma enthusiasts like myself, the only thing is I don't know much.

Thanks to all who helped me out with some intake solutions. Just took out my secondary filter today and while working on that I wanted to see if there was a possibility to do the deck plate mod on my second gen airbox.

It may require some precision work and a steady hand but I think I can be done and I plan to attempt it as soon as possible.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There's this 4" circle right there that, in my mind, is saying "you can cut me out and put a deck plate in. I'm sure that a 3" deck plate will work easy but I also think a 4" one will work too, and sure, I'm gonna have to cut over that bump too but I think its doable.

Anyone have any thoughts?
    Or has anyone attempted the deck plate mod on their 2nd gen and failed and advises me not to do it?

2. Aug 10, 2009 at 2:06 PM
    uood8

uood8 If You Search...You Shall Find.

Member:
    Greensboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    '16 Sr5 4x4 DCSB
    Pretty much stock
    the box being curved and the bump will cause the problems, the deck plates to my knowledge are hard plastic.

3. Aug 10, 2009 at 2:12 PM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    I wouldn't. My reason is you are getting cooler air from the outside as is. Unless you are talking about cutting that hole and going through the radiator support infront of the radiator to pull more air. Not enough benefits for me to justify doing this.

Welcome to TW.

4. Aug 10, 2009 at 2:36 PM
    neslerrah

neslerrah Taco lovin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Harrelsen
    Tucson
    Vehicle:
    5 lug BEAST!
    Secondary air filter removed, elbow mod, BFG T/A KO (31x10.5R15), 15" American Racing Mojaves, BHLM, Dome Light MOD (Blue), Pioneer headunit, Sockmonkey 'TACOMA' Decals, Readylift 5-lug SST, Rear Shocks - Bilstein TRD, Dynomax Super Turbo #17748, DDM Slim Ballast HID Kit H4 Hi/Lo -35W 6000K in headlights, Apexcone Raptor HID Kit H3 - 35W 6000K in Hella 500s, aFe CAI #51-10762, WeatherTech Floorliner, 200W Smart AC Inverter

Anything is possible. I will follow this thread and see how you work the deck plate MOD. If you do it, do a write up! Good luck!:thumbsup:

5. Aug 10, 2009 at 2:46 PM
    Mike_Sem

Mike_Sem [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Van Nuys
    Vehicle:
    '06 PreRunner
    Yes I know that a few things are going to get in the way of the whole thing but I'm stubborn. And I'm pretty good at troubleshooting.

Still gonna attempt to do this. I bought the silicone and the pan head screws but I don't have any boating stores near by so I had to buy the deck plate from an online distributor. That should come in 3-4 days and I'll attempt to do this during the upcoming weekend.

6. Aug 12, 2009 at 11:21 PM
    InfidelTaco

InfidelTaco No better friend,No worse enemy...

Member:
    First Name:
    G
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner
    AFE, Fox, Built Rights, Moog, SpiderTrax, Icon progressive, Grabbers
    any luck? :D

Products Discussed in

To Top