Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Compared to TJ/Wrangler

Old 08-13-2009, 10:54 AM   #21
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by shook0002 View Post
We are talking stock against stock right?
Yes, stock v stock.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:57 AM   #22
06dak will become famous soon enough06dak will become famous soon enough
06dak's Tacoma Gallery
I can only tell you from my experience from a quick drive in a Wrangler and my experience with my '05 Taco Pre-Runner. Out of the box, Taco wins hands down - better low end in a PreRunner and much better on the expressway.

When you look, also consider some 5-lug '05s. Since the previous gen is so loved and resale is so high, the prices don't seem to be THAT different (at least in my area). When I bought in Feb I had a choice of a 5 lug 05 with 20k on it for $12.5k and the one I bought (05 PreRunner with 19.5k on it for $14k).
Old 08-13-2009, 08:27 PM   #23
Gonzoso is on a distinguished road

Name: Keith
Gonzoso's Tacoma Gallery
Good timing

So I am living in a dorm type situation and this guy here that I don't see very often asked me something very convenient today. He needed to drive his motorcycle down to Pymouth NH. We are in N. Conway. 1.5 hours or so, up hills, on highway, up and down mountains. All the worst on road stuff, the most I would put a vehicle through.

The vehicle he asked me to drive down so he could drop his bike off?

A 1998 2.7L 5 speed access cab with 4wd. I could not believe it. I said yes and the guy even bought me a burger and brew for my "troubles". Free long test drive and a meal.

So anyway, the Tacoma with a 2.7 is more powerful than my 97 tj with a 2.5. They were both 5-speed, both 4wd. The TJ will do 60 in 5th at like 3k-3.5k rpm. The Tacoma was doing 70-75 at 2.5k rpm. It had much more power on the highway and up hills. It was a smoother ride and I liked the seat height. There is that bump that I can rest my foot on next to the clutch and it is at a great angle for my ankle, which is important because I hike 4-10 miles a day at work. The seat was pretty comfy. It shifted well. His even had 180,000 on it so it was no spring chicken.

I definitely am getting one in the spring. I think I will shoot for an 01 to avoid the frame issue.

BTW, the 4.0 I6 would spank the 2.7 I4 without a doubt.

But the 2.7, with the gearing in the Tacoma is much better than the 2.5 in the Jeep. But there are a whole lot of other variables like gearing, wind resistance, weight, etc. And the Taco rides much better on the highway.

Thanks for all your help.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:41 PM   #24
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzoso View Post

btw, the 4.0 i6 would spank the 2.7 i4 without a doubt.
bah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-13-2009, 08:46 PM   #25
senile member
Tacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Ex Navy. subs
Tacoyota's Tacoma Gallery
I thinks Gonzoso has a taco already , he just wants to stir up a hotly contested thread..... nice work
Old 08-13-2009, 08:48 PM   #26

Marines:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoyota View Post
I thinks Gonzoso has a taco already , he just wants to stir up a hotly contested thread..... nice work
Hhhmmmm..........
Old 08-13-2009, 08:51 PM   #27

Gonzoso's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I don't have a taco. I want one now.

There is no contest between Jeeps and Taco's they are good at different things. Ideally I would have both.

I started this because I wanted to know if the taco would be as anemic as my TJ. I love my TJ, don't get me wrong. It is great on local roads with the top off, taking it off roading. But I carry stuff like tools, dead deer, wheelbarrows, etc. that are not good to put in a Jeep. I tore my wet okole seat covers putting a wheel barrow in the back.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:53 PM   #28

Marines:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzoso View Post
I don't have a taco. I want one now.

There is no contest between Jeeps and Taco's they are good at different things. Ideally I would have both.

I started this because I wanted to know if the taco would be as anemic as my TJ. I love my TJ, don't get me wrong. It is great on local roads with the top off, taking it off roading. But I carry stuff like tools, dead deer, wheelbarrows, etc. that are not good to put in a Jeep. I tore my wet okole seat covers putting a wheel barrow in the back.
I agree. Sometimes you just gotta heep it. There is just something about driving with the top and doors off. Both are great vehicles and have their limitations.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:54 PM   #29
senile member
Tacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I know, pokin a little fun . You really did get em goin hehe. Tell em you saw a ranger pass a taco, this could be like beating a hornets nest like a pinata (did I spell that right)
Old 08-13-2009, 08:56 PM   #30

Marines:
Quote:
I know, pokin a little fun . You really did get em goin hehe. Tell em you saw a ranger pass a taco, this could be like beating a hornets nest like a pinata (did I spell that right)
Yeah but you need the ~ (tilda) above the n.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:58 PM   #31
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
just need the ~ on the "n"
Old 08-13-2009, 08:59 PM   #32

Marines:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgerm View Post
just need the ~ on the "n"
HA! Beat ya!!

Did some say they saw a ranger pass a taco!?!?!?
Old 08-13-2009, 09:02 PM   #33
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
HA! Beat ya!!
Old 08-13-2009, 09:03 PM   #34

Marines:
Quote:
Old 08-13-2009, 09:03 PM   #35

Gonzoso's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not a ford man but I am a ranger.....
Old 08-13-2009, 09:05 PM   #36
senile member

Quote:
lol 2 birds
Old 08-13-2009, 09:29 PM   #37
senile member

How the hell u get the worm over the n? pi~nata
Old 08-13-2009, 09:57 PM   #38
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
piñata
Old 08-13-2009, 10:07 PM   #39
senile member

show off, now how u get the 2 together
Old 08-13-2009, 10:11 PM   #40
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
show off, now how u get the 2 together
http://www.freetranslation.com/

just used thier special character and pasted it over

Wow this is off topic. Sorry OP!