Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

I need more power...

Old 08-16-2009, 10:58 PM   #1
T-Sali12 is on a distinguished road
T-Sali12's Tacoma Gallery
Question I need more power...

I have a 98 2.4L Taco and i want to lift it more put bigger tires, but I want to too give it a little more power before, Any suggestions???
Old 08-16-2009, 11:10 PM   #2
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
Slap a turbo on it or you can get some aftermarket headers.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:15 PM   #3
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
V6 or V8 swap.

Or turbo/supercharger are your best options
Old 08-17-2009, 05:55 AM   #4
xsvtoyz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxsvtoyz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxsvtoyz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxsvtoyz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxsvtoyz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxsvtoyz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxsvtoyz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxsvtoyz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxsvtoyz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxsvtoyz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxsvtoyz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Name: AL
xsvtoyz's Tacoma Gallery
Power?

power increases on a 4 banger Yota are hard to come by you may be better off regearing and that will keep the same feel when you get bigger tires. Otherwise power adders are your only option.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:27 AM   #6
senile member
Tacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Ex Navy. subs
Tacoyota's Tacoma Gallery
check in the gen 1 part too, they might have good threads on the topic, mine is gen2 2.7. While i think a cai might not help my engine , it might actually help yours.
this list might help for power, its not from experience though
180 degree thermostat
cold air intake, performance chip if available, elec. cooling fan(this could be a good one), headers (another good one), performance exhaust( i dont like the loudfart ones).
Pick one , research it for your year, if it sounds no good , move on, if it pans out .. have fun.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:16 PM   #7
boutym is on a distinguished road
Air Force: FE
boutym's Tacoma Gallery
Get yourself a turbocharged Allison motor for that puppy.
Old 08-19-2009, 03:31 PM   #8
TacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gus
TacomaGus's Tacoma Gallery
get some good headers and try a CAI, it worked on mine (according to K&N it would give your engine a 6-7 HP boost with the FIPK one) and i'm gettting new headers sometime this fall. But you would def be better off with a turbo or SC if you have the money but a 2.4l just won't really ever have the power to have really big tires or lift on it
Old 08-21-2009, 09:17 PM   #9
RideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to behold

Name: Jesse
RideFast's Tacoma Gallery
i put 31/10.50s on my truck and i am getting 4% better fuel mileage and lower rpms. I havent been 4x4ing yet but ill bet you the truck is even better.
Old 08-25-2009, 02:28 PM   #10
stock02 is on a distinguished road
Marines: Sgt
stock02's Tacoma Gallery
I've also been thinking about doing a lift for some 31x10.0 and I also have the 2.4L. Will it really make that much of a differance even if I gear it? I know I can do a V6 swap, but I think I would just get a taco WITH a V6 in it. I don't know, I love my taco too much, lol
Old 08-25-2009, 06:31 PM   #11
RideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to behold

Name: Jesse
RideFast's Tacoma Gallery
if you have an 02 taco 4x4 you should have the 2.7L.

Like I said the 31 10 50 tire made an awesome difference to my truck. my power was not affected! Do it, i found my tires on craigslist.com
Old 08-25-2009, 06:47 PM   #12
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
I have the 2.7 on my 99 and I upgraded to 32 Bfg all terrains and there was no difference while driving power wise. Its also a manual so the auto may be affected more idk.....
Old 08-30-2009, 06:46 PM   #13
Duck Killing Machine
Siebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: CJ
Siebler's Tacoma Gallery
I have most all the Bolt on stuff you can do plus im regeared and wish I had just done a Supercharger to start with.

The Gearing makes a big difference in the Auto but most the other bolt on stuff was pretty minor.