Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

What I discovered on the oil level/capacity

Old 09-03-2009, 11:55 AM   #1
The Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud of
The Shape's Tacoma Gallery
What I discovered on the oil level/capacity

I know the actual amount of oil the 2.7 holds with a filter change has been debated on this site quite a bit. I thought some might be interested in what I came up with. My 2009 tacoma hit 4,900 miles today and decided to change the oil. First thing I did was check the level with the factory fill. From the factory my oil level read about a 1/4 inch above the top dot on the dipstick. I used a file to scribe a line on that spot.

I then proceeded to change the oil. I pulled the drain plug and filter and let it drain for approx. 30 minutes. I then installed a Pure One filter #PL10241. To bring it back up to the line I scribed the truck indeed held a full 6 quarts of oil. I used Castrol GTX 5W20 oil. So these are my personal results. Don't know if this helps anyone, but thought it worth posting.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:01 PM   #3
CometKat is a jewel in the roughCometKat is a jewel in the roughCometKat is a jewel in the rough
CometKat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pster View Post
I think much of the debate was actually related to the 4.0 Liter V6 engine.
Actually the main debate is with the I4. The results are interesting. That means the spec is correct and the stick is wrong. It would also mean that any dealer that automatically does 5 quarts is under filling by a full quart.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:02 PM   #4
The Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud of
True and on '07 which I used to tae to the dealer, the receipt always showed 5 quarts.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:36 PM   #5
sriley727 will become famous soon enoughsriley727 will become famous soon enough

sriley727's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CometKat View Post
Actually the main debate is with the I4. The results are interesting. That means the spec is correct and the stick is wrong. It would also mean that any dealer that automatically does 5 quarts is under filling by a full quart.
Thats not necessarily a bad thing. Having the oil a quart low will cut down on windage losses. You'll pick up a few ponies.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:38 PM   #6
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sriley727 View Post
Thats not necessarily a bad thing. Having the oil a quart low will cut down on windage losses. You'll pick up a few ponies.
You really think 1 quart (about 1/4" in the pan) would give a "Few hp" gain?
Old 09-04-2009, 12:28 AM   #7
crawl is a jewel in the roughcrawl is a jewel in the roughcrawl is a jewel in the rough
Name: Greg
crawl's Tacoma Gallery
I rather have a little more than not enough, without damaging the seals of course. My supercharged (raced hard) Prelude always gets more oil than spec.
So I just brought my brand spankin new 4 cyl Tacoma home - factory fill is way above the second dot. And that's after 60 miles and at least 10-15 WOT pulls to redline. I love this truck btw.
Old 09-04-2009, 04:29 AM   #8
Banned
Pster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Pster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
Great, so toyota cant make an accurate oil dipstick?
Yep, I think that's exactly what it comes down to. Bet the next Gen Toyota has this fixed....they read these boards ya know.
Old 09-04-2009, 05:55 AM   #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
Great, so toyota cant make an accurate oil dipstick?

Didnt Ford have this problem on the 5.0 fox mustangs?

yay toyota
YES the 5.0 Fox body stangs had the same problem, having owned several of them this isn't a new issue to me LOL. The concensus on the 5.0 boards is that you just pour in 5 quarts of oil as the manual calls for and put a new mark on your dipstick.

Another thing I noticed is that my wifes Yaris reads over the full mark by about the same amount my tacoma does when using the amount of oil called for in the manual (4 qaurts).

Also you would have to add a WHOLE lot of extra oil to start blowing out seals. Oil pressure is what would blow out a seal and no matter how much oil you pour in, your oil pump and tolerances in the engine are only going to build so much pressure. The concern is adding so much that the crank is splashing around in it. I HAVE had an oil filter explode on an engine , but that was because the bypass spring in the oil pump malfunctioned not because it had to much oil in it.
Old 09-04-2009, 06:43 PM   #10
Plain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Plain Jane Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shape View Post
...I then installed a Pure One filter #PL10241....I used Castrol GTX 5W20 oil....
At least you got the goods right. I been using this combo on all of my vehilces for as long as I can remember. Never an isse.
Old 09-08-2009, 05:20 PM   #11
Banned
Isthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Isthatahemi's Tacoma Gallery
5 quarts to get over the low line, 6 quarts to the top. That's what I've found, really either will work fine.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:30 AM   #13
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pster View Post
Bet the next Gen Toyota has this fixed....they read these boards ya know.
LOL, if so then you'd think they wouldna went 5 years puttin on shitty leaf springs on the back of them or several years worth of frame weld issues or several years of folding tailgates. If they are reading them it would be to fuck modders on warranty issues or to see just what crap they can get away with. Highly doubt anything would be used to improve the customer experience unless they were facing lots of lawsuits.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:21 AM   #14
Cranky Old Bastard
Dudley is on a distinguished road

Name: David
Dudley's Tacoma Gallery
I am on the "free oil change plan". Just took mine into the dealer for the gas pedal recall issue and first oil change. Told the service assistant not to over fill the engine. Got it back and it was slightly over the full mark. Guess the big T just loves giving away oil. Incidentally, ticket indicated 7 quarts?!
Old 10-20-2010, 03:37 PM   #15
Understand the Voice Within
91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dan
91r100gs's Tacoma Gallery
These days I just buy a 5 qt jug of whatever at Waldo-World, and it along with a PUre One it comes up to just below the line. Has not moved during 5K OCI's.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:18 AM   #16
DGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Friend
DGXR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91r100gs View Post
These days I just buy a 5 qt jug of whatever at Waldo-World, and it along with a PUre One it comes up to just below the line. Has not moved during 5K OCI's.
Just below which line? The low mark or the full mark?
Old 01-27-2011, 03:04 PM   #17
Understand the Voice Within
91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dan
91r100gs's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGXR View Post
Just below which line? The low mark or the full mark?
The full line. 4 more oz will make it hit the full line
Old 02-01-2011, 08:50 AM   #19
Cranky Old Bastard
Dudley is on a distinguished road

Name: David
Dudley's Tacoma Gallery
Cool On further reflection

I can't really understand the obsession to make sure that the oil is just up to the full mark on the dip stick. I guess if you had a leaky engine and didn't want to bother checking the oil every time you started the motor I could understand wanting to have the oil right up to the top without being overfilled. Since the two marks are intended to be a reference to the level in the engine, and as long as the oil falls within the two reference marks I would think the engine would be perfectly happy. It is the overfilling and seal blowing that bugs the hell out of me. If I could just convince the dealer to put 5 quarts in and leave it that would be great!
JMHO you understand.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:12 AM   #20
KentuckyEd is on a distinguished road
Army: Signal Corp
Name: Ed
KentuckyEd's Tacoma Gallery
My 2 Cents

Correctly defining the fill level (and keeping the oil at that level) is beneficial for engine cooling in high load operation where the oil can help dissipate heat. I certainly agree that overfilling is bad, but if 6 is the "correct" amount then running one qt low means you have 17% less fluid to handle the lubrication function. That doesn't appear to be optimal.