LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

modded factory intake

Old 09-24-2009, 05:26 PM   #1
crawl is a jewel in the roughcrawl is a jewel in the roughcrawl is a jewel in the rough
Name: Greg
crawl's Tacoma Gallery
modded factory intake

DISCLAIMER: I HAVE NO CLUE IF ANY OF THESE MODS TO THE FACTORY INTAKE DOES ANYTHING TO INCREASE PERFORMANCE. I NEVER DYNO TESTED ANY MODS SHOWN HERE. PLAY AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!!!

1) charcoal filter (aka secondary filter) removed.

2) main paper filter left in place, for now.

3) eliminated factory rubber flex tube (3" in /2.5" out) and replaced with
custom 3" in/out rubber elbow. No more ribbs and no neckdown.

4) removed huge resonator before TB and replaced with
hacked up 3" tube leftovers from my Prelude =)

Hardest job so far... figuring out how to eliminate the factory rubber flex tube and custom making the replacement part. More to follow, including breather filter and/or catchcan setup, along with butt dyno and review/impressions of my new (and first) modd.
Old 09-24-2009, 07:23 PM   #2
grizzlytravis is a splendid one to beholdgrizzlytravis is a splendid one to beholdgrizzlytravis is a splendid one to beholdgrizzlytravis is a splendid one to beholdgrizzlytravis is a splendid one to beholdgrizzlytravis is a splendid one to beholdgrizzlytravis is a splendid one to behold

grizzlytravis's Tacoma Gallery
pretty sweet man im interested to see how it all works out. i almost bought one of those sensor adapters and constructed an intake but i was too broke.
Old 09-24-2009, 07:28 PM   #3
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
When I took my intake off to install the DT headers it made me think about how well a setup like that would work. I'm interested to see what the butt dyno and mpg results are.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:19 PM   #5
crawl is a jewel in the roughcrawl is a jewel in the roughcrawl is a jewel in the rough
crawl's Tacoma Gallery
thanks everyone.

I started out on a 1-2 hr. charcoal filter delete mod, but I just couldn't put back all the factory mess.

lucky for me, all the parts were already sitting in my garage. (I think I could build a entire car with all my unused stock and aftermarket Prelude parts...hehe.)

I love fabbing/designing kool stuff for my cars - just very time consuming.
Old 09-26-2009, 12:39 PM   #6
willis is on a distinguished road

Name: keith
willis's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to willis
subscribed
Old 09-26-2009, 01:22 PM   #7

willis's Tacoma Gallery
got some ?'s

--- the 2 couplers you used, they are both 3" straight?? (throttle body inlet and air box outlet are 3" diameter??)

--- your prelude tube basically looks to be a straight piece w/ a 90* bend in it, yes??

--- what did you do with the sensor on the back of the resonator assembly that sits above the valve cover??
Old 09-26-2009, 07:50 PM   #9
gupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
gupster88's Tacoma Gallery
pretty cool man...good job
Old 09-26-2009, 08:09 PM   #10
jwhelan is a glorious beacon of lightjwhelan is a glorious beacon of lightjwhelan is a glorious beacon of lightjwhelan is a glorious beacon of lightjwhelan is a glorious beacon of lightjwhelan is a glorious beacon of light

Name: JW
jwhelan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by willis View Post
got some ?'s

--- the 2 couplers you used, they are both 3" straight?? (throttle body inlet and air box outlet are 3" diameter??)

--- your prelude tube basically looks to be a straight piece w/ a 90* bend in it, yes??

--- what did you do with the sensor on the back of the resonator assembly that sits above the valve cover??
Any performance gains with this mod?
Old 09-26-2009, 09:24 PM   #11
otter is on a distinguished road

Name: Rob
otter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
got some ?'s

The one on the left looks like a 3" to 2.75" reduction, although his post says they're both 3".
Old 09-27-2009, 08:30 AM   #12
crawl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
the 2 couplers you used, they are both 3" straight?? (throttle body inlet and air box outlet are 3" diameter??)
the TB inlet is approx 2.5" ID (or 2.75" OD), same as the Prelude. the aem coupler reduces from 3" to fit the TB.

the other coupler at the airbox outlet is 3" on both sides and has about a 15* bend.

Quote:
your prelude tube basically looks to be a straight piece w/ a 90* bend in it, yes??
no. the original prelude aem cai was hacked into several pieces to fit the blower, see pic below. far left (not shown) is another 90* bend that heads downward into the fender.

Quote:
what did you do with the sensor on the back of the resonator assembly that sits above the valve cover??
I made a bracket for it that mounts to the VC. I'll post up a pic later, but I think I may be having issues with that sensor, or something else I moved, removed or changed I'll explain later.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:37 AM   #13

willis's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by crawl View Post
... I'll post up a pic later, but I think I may be having issues with removing that sensor from the intake tube. I'll explain later.
please keep me (us) updated!

by deleting the resonator, did you get that classic "intake" sound??

** edit **

and i would love some more pics of the current set-up if you wouldn't mind ... trying to see the shape of the tube
Old 09-27-2009, 09:00 AM   #14
crawl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by otter View Post
The one on the left looks like a 3" to 2.75" reduction, although his post says they're both 3".
I'll try to describe it more accurately...
the factory airbox outlet is almost 3.25" OD. the 3" in/out rubber coupler was heated and stretched to fit over the airbox outlet. then it's 3" all the way until the TB, where the coupler is reduced from 3" to 2.75" to fit the TB.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:08 AM   #15
crawl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
please keep me (us) updated!

by deleting the resonator, did you get that classic "intake" sound??

** edit **

and i would love some more pics of the current set-up if you wouldn't mind ... trying to see the shape of the tube
it has a better tone, more throaty at WOT, but very mild compared to most intakes I've heard.

I'll post more pics of the completed setup later.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:12 AM   #17
crawl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by meteoraman2514 View Post
pretty cool man...good job
thanks bro. but hold off on the props until I get this thing working right, or I may be going back to stock
Old 09-27-2009, 09:20 AM   #18
crawl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorifuto View Post
My buddies always wrap their intake tubes with header wrap to keep the engine heat from conducting into the tube and causing your incoming air to heat up. Header wrap is pricey, like $50, but it helps. Maybe you should try it it out...
yeah, I've seen it too and thought about it, just pricey like you said. thanks for the tip though.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:27 AM   #19
crawl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttylerr View Post
looks awesome!
subscribed!
thanks man. but I have a few issues with it, so I'm kind of depressed right now (after all the time invested).
Old 09-27-2009, 11:02 PM   #20
crawl's Tacoma Gallery
new pics added to page 1.

Products Discussed in this Thread