1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

More power for sand driving

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by yfz450admirer, Oct 1, 2009.

1. Oct 1, 2009 at 10:44 PM
    yfz450admirer

yfz450admirer [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    98 TRD 4x4
    I had a great time lowering the air pressure in my 265's and getting out on the sand dunes this last weekend. My friends v6 jeep would pull me on the hills, many of which I would get to the top, but not quite be able to crest. Any ideas on how to get more power for that extra oomph at the dunes? Or is it a lost cause.
    Also if I lower my air in the tires at the dunes is it okay to run a few miles on at the low air pressure on asphalt to get to an air compressor?

2. Oct 1, 2009 at 11:03 PM
    Will Prerunner

Will Prerunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tempe Az
    Vehicle:
    01 TRD Prerunner Doublecab
    Trail-Gear rock sliders, OME Lift, kobalt tool box, herculined fender flares, CrossFab light bar, Deck plate Mod, Differential Breather Extension, 32"goodyear duratracs Pioneer 3 way speakers, alpine head unit, Boss Bass 600 sub, custom az pinstriping
    Probably just better tires with lower pressure. How low you can go with the pressure on ashpalt depends on what kind of tire you have, and how thick the sidewalls are I think. If you post what kind of tires you have people should be able to tell you how low you can safely run them on asphalt.

3. Oct 1, 2009 at 11:29 PM
    Dellosa89

Dellosa89 Love peace and Taco Grease

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Murrieta CA
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner TRD Off Road
    Fox 2.5 Coilovers, Camburg 1.25" UCA's, Icon RR, Icon aal,EVS foam bump stops, Borla Catback, HID Headlights and fogs, Defiant light bar, 3 hella 700 hid, Satellite Radio, Sony hu with 10'' sub, custom jetski rack, TRD seat covers, secondary air filter removed.
    Im running Toyo A/T 265/75-16 when i air down i go to 18psi rear 20psi front and no problems with driving on roads. i once aired down to 7psi in the rear for some mud. i was fine driving on the road from that but don't turn hard or power hard on the road you might pop the tire of the bead.

4. Oct 2, 2009 at 4:45 AM
    FoxySandChick

FoxySandChick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristin
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 Base model V6 Impulse Red Pearl
    De-badged, limo tint, black wet okole's, weathertechs, extra d-rings, TSB bilsteins
    Which dunes were you in??

5. Oct 2, 2009 at 6:55 PM
    yfz450admirer

yfz450admirer [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    98 TRD 4x4
    265 A/T's three different types. Those dunes are close to you. The Nellis Dunes out at Apex.

Products Discussed in

To Top