1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2001 4 cyl 2.4L AT shifting from 1st to 3rd

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by springfield59, Oct 6, 2009.

1. Oct 6, 2009 at 7:24 PM
    springfield59

springfield59 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Tuscaloosa
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma automatic 2.7L I4 access cab
    intermittent wipers, Kobalt truck box
    Update to a previous post. I am new and have a 2001 4 cyl SR5 Xtra Cab with AT, 208k miles.. Just recently the trans started acting strange. If I take off gently from a standing start it will shift from 1st to 3rd, shifting somewhere between 1800-2100 engine rpm. If I maintain a constant pressure on the accelerator it will go up to 3200-3400 rpm before shifting from 1st right into 3rd. The only way it will shift into 2nd is if I put the gear shift lever into 2, it will shift into 2nd, then when I advance the lever to third, it will shift to 3rd and then O/D at the appropriate point. I have changed the AT fluid and filter twice in the past 2 weeks, checked the exterior of the valve body for any obvious damage, no large metal flakes, removed the EFI fuse for 10 seconds that somebody suggested, have checked the resistance on the TPS, was in spec; all to no avail. No engine trouble light either. I have an Alldata subscription and am using that to troubleshoot. About all that is left to check and/or replace is the vehicle speed sensor/VSS (but no check engine light showing any DTC codes for the VSS), and then the governor valve. Transmission is not electronically controlled. If it's not one of those last two things, I don't know what else to do short of replacing the transmission. Does anybody else have any other ideas? Stuck check ball or something in the valve body? Thank you.

2. Oct 7, 2009 at 5:05 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    Possible bad torque converter.

3. Oct 15, 2009 at 8:23 AM
    springfield59

springfield59 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Tuscaloosa
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma automatic 2.7L I4 access cab
    intermittent wipers, Kobalt truck box
    Well, since I drive this truck every day and not enough time to repair myself, finally took it to the local Mr. Transmission shop. He says 2nd gear pretty well burned up, will need to be rebuilt $1660-$2200. Guess I'm going to have to eat it.

Products Discussed in

To Top