Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Clutch Pedal

Old 10-08-2009, 05:06 PM   #1
Fredneck is on a distinguished road

Fredneck's Tacoma Gallery
Question Clutch Pedal

My clutch pedal has developed a annoying creaking noise that is starting to get on my nerves

Has anybody else experienced this? How can I fix it? Don't have any desire to take my truck to the boneheads at the dealer.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:12 PM   #2
06dak will become famous soon enough06dak will become famous soon enough
06dak's Tacoma Gallery
There's a TSB on this - search 'em and you'll find it!

From what I understand, the dealer will replace parts and fix it - only to have it happen again later, usually out of warranty.
Someone here had what they thought was a permanent fix (it's been a design problem for 10 years with Tacos) but I have yet to try it. I just put up with the creak!
Old 10-08-2009, 06:18 PM   #3
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
This is a very common issue with the clutch pedal, and I actually have it myself. It seems to kind of come and go, but it very annoying when it is present. As much as you would like to not go to the dealer, I would go let them check it out. Don't take there bs "we'll lubricate the assembly" stuff either, get them to preform the TSB.

Use the search function to find the other threads on this issue. It also wouldnt hurt to print out the TSB and take it to them.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:18 PM   #4
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Mine creaks too! We were able to cure it for about a week by soaking the entire clutch area with WD-40. Does yours go away after it's warm?
Old 10-08-2009, 07:30 PM   #5
Raven65 has a spectacular aura aboutRaven65 has a spectacular aura about

Raven65's Tacoma Gallery
Mine does it too - and I hate it. It started within the first couple thousand miles... and seems to be worse when the interior is hot (like after it's been parked outside in the sun for a while). I also don't want to take mine to the dealership for the TSB, but I may have to break down and do it - even if it is a temporary fix. I can't believe Toyota has kept using that crappy design for 10 years!!! Lame.

I'd like to get a clutch pedal assembly out of a junkyard and try to figure out a way to put a real bearing in there instead of that B.S. plastic bushing. THAT would be a fix.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:46 PM   #6
Fredneck is on a distinguished road

Fredneck's Tacoma Gallery
Clutch Pedal Creak TSB

I found a TSB but it's for 05 and 06 Tacoma's, my trucks an 09.

View/download it here >>> http://www.divshare.com/download/4099480-549

I'm going to assume the Dealer won't perform the TSB on an 09 due to production changes were supposed to fix the problem.

I guess I'll try and shoot the pivot bushings with some lube probably using some lithium white grease.

Does anybody have a TSB that applies to an 09?
Old 10-09-2009, 08:15 AM   #7
Collins is a splendid one to beholdCollins is a splendid one to beholdCollins is a splendid one to beholdCollins is a splendid one to beholdCollins is a splendid one to beholdCollins is a splendid one to beholdCollins is a splendid one to behold
Collins's Tacoma Gallery
Yep, mine too...at around 3k miles.

Becoming very annoying.

PC
Old 10-09-2009, 06:12 PM   #8
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredneck View Post
I found a TSB but it's for 05 and 06 Tacoma's, my trucks an 09.

View/download it here >>> http://www.divshare.com/download/4099480-549

I'm going to assume the Dealer won't perform the TSB on an 09 due to production changes were supposed to fix the problem.

I guess I'll try and shoot the pivot bushings with some lube probably using some lithium white grease.

Does anybody have a TSB that applies to an 09?
My truck is a '08 and I was specifically told by the service manager that they are allowed to carry over certain TSBs and apply them toward later model trucks where the issue that has not been resolved. This was one of those cases. I never went back to have the work done, although he was ready to perform it. Definitely worth a shot IMO.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:43 PM   #9
Omnipotent
Hootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Hootbro's Tacoma Gallery
I just re-lubed the lubrication points called out in the TSB and my squeak went away. Already have the updated parts.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:26 PM   #10
Oh gravity, thou art a heartless bitch!
AvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brandon
AvsFanTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I have that problem, but only when it is hot. Now that winter is upon us, the sound has gone away and it won't do me much good to take in to the dealer for a noise that they can't here. I'll probably take it in for the tsb next summer when the noise has returned.

As far as I know this is the most up to date tsb list. http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ta-tacoma.html
Old 10-13-2009, 06:50 PM   #11
Cappy Cap will become famous soon enough
Cappy Cap's Tacoma Gallery
I had the same thing happen to my truck... went to the dealer 5 times the first 4 couldnt figure it out... finally the last time they got it right called toyota and everything... hasnt creaked for about 7,000 miles
Old 10-14-2009, 08:32 PM   #13
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Has anyone determined if the problem is the same on 1st gens? I know it's not a serious problem, but it annoys the heck outta me.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:00 PM   #14
z33tec is on a distinguished road

z33tec's Tacoma Gallery
Had this same issue with my 09 with about 4500 miles on it. When I took it in for my first oil change I told them about it and it said they lubricated it due to customer request on my receipt. The creaking noise is gone but I haven't driven it very far since they have done it. They just did it last weekend.

I'm hoping it doesn't come back but if it's a lubrication issue it's only a matter of time.. Didn't realize there was a TSB for creaky clutch pedals. If it comes back I will have to bring that up next time.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:08 AM   #15
AGumbus11 is on a distinguished road
Name: Andy
AGumbus11's Tacoma Gallery
This happens on all Toyota clutches after some time. My 92 Lexus Sc300 does it...my 93.5 Supra did it....my friend's 87 MR2 does it...

I use white lithium grease on any moving part to my clutch pedal assembly - it works for a couple months (usually until it gets really cold out) and then I'll need to reapply.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:46 PM   #17
silverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jason
silverback's Tacoma Gallery
I dont have a creaking clutch but I did notice when I was sitting at the drive thru there was a slight rattle sound when the clutch was let out. when I press the clutch in it goes away. When I owned a Wrangler I noticed this also . Is this normal I have a warranty but I doubt that the clutch area is covered. Thanks for any information you all might have.