Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

'05+ 2.7L Tacoma: Trade my stock air box for a K&N 63 Series Aircharger straight?

View Poll Results: Should I trade my stock air box for the K&N 63 Series Aircharger Intake Kit straight?
Yes 16 69.57%
No 7 30.43%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-25-2009, 03:48 PM   #1
Hoogie boogie!
Stupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
Stupid hurts.'s Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Stupid hurts.
Question '05+ 2.7L Tacoma: Trade my stock air box for a K&N 63 Series Aircharger straight?

Like the title says, should I trade the stock air box from my '07 2.7L Tacoma for a used K&N 63 Series Aircharger Intake Kit straight? I've already read a few pros and cons regarding the kit for the 4.0L Tacomas, but I don't know if they apply to the 2.7L Tacomas. The only thing really holding me back so far is the fact that I will be trading my stock one away. Please give me your opinions. Thanks in advance!

Here's a pic of what I'm talking about:

Old 10-25-2009, 05:50 PM   #2
Hoogie boogie!
Stupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Anybody?
Old 10-25-2009, 05:57 PM   #3
THE RED DRAGON!!
TexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andrew
TexasIslandBoy's Tacoma Gallery
i think its a fair trade you can allways find a stock one if needed
Old 10-25-2009, 05:59 PM   #4
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasIslandBoy View Post
i think its a fair trade you can allways find a stock one if needed
x2
Old 10-25-2009, 09:49 PM   #7
sachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam
sachou's Tacoma Gallery
I really don't think cold air intakes are necessary on these engines, and the deckplate should work just fine...but hey if it's a stock to aftermarket trade, that's a $300 intake you're getting for free. Go for it.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:52 PM   #8
Hoogie boogie!

Thanks to all that have replied so far. I'm definitely leaning towards it. It's coming off of a 2006 2.7L Prerunner. The owner said it's been on his truck for about 20K miles so the filter will definitely be needing a recharge or I might just get a whole new replacement.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:55 PM   #9
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by neslerrah View Post
Trade it. Let us know what gains (hp & MPG) you get.
Or lose which is most likely the result. But hey, it will be incredibly easy to go back to stock if he is not happy with the result!
Old 10-25-2009, 10:05 PM   #10
Who needs 4WD?
neslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Harrelsen
neslerrah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgerm View Post
Or lose which is most likely the result. But hey, it will be incredibly easy to go back to stock if he is not happy with the result!
True!

Stupid hurts.,
Why is he getting rid of his K&N intake?
Old 10-25-2009, 10:16 PM   #11
Hoogie boogie!

Quote:
True!

Stupid hurts.,
Why is he getting rid of his K&N intake?
He just doesn't want it anymore. Not exactly sure why he wants to go back to stock. He did tell me that he does a lot of driving towing bikes and stuff. He also told me that a 4.0L V6 swap is in the works. When I met him to trade grills, I told him to join here and he said he would, but I haven't seen him yet.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:34 PM   #12
This is TW. One never knows what is a joke anymore
beastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
beastlytaco's Tacoma Gallery
well lemme put it this way. i have no objection to you doing this. but it will only be really usefull above 2500RPMs but it will sound bad as hell. but if you really wanna go all out, remove the intake resonator in the fender well and put taht badboy in there. you will have almost likea ram air intake sorta. but if you wanna keep your stock airbox, then id jsut get a PRO DRY S filter and remov ethe secondary air filter and do that. makes alot more sense to me. bu tyou do what you want. its your truck
Old 10-27-2009, 02:28 PM   #13
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
I don't think I would do it because you won't have your stock intake to put back on if you don't like it. I'm also not a fan of aftermarket intakes on our trucks. It's greatly debated if they actually offer any useful benefits for normal driving conditions.

Maybe the guy who has it would let you drive his truck a little so you can compare, although I'm not sure if you can make a good comparison since he has a prerunner.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:04 PM   #14
Hoogie boogie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastlytaco View Post
well lemme put it this way. i have no objection to you doing this. but it will only be really usefull above 2500RPMs but it will sound bad as hell. but if you really wanna go all out, remove the intake resonator in the fender well and put taht badboy in there. you will have almost likea ram air intake sorta. but if you wanna keep your stock airbox, then id jsut get a PRO DRY S filter and remov ethe secondary air filter and do that. makes alot more sense to me. bu tyou do what you want. its your truck
I can't decide. I asked a member on CT who has one on his 5-lugger and he said it sounds good. He likes it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afd23a View Post
I don't think I would do it because you won't have your stock intake to put back on if you don't like it. I'm also not a fan of aftermarket intakes on our trucks. It's greatly debated if they actually offer any useful benefits for normal driving conditions.

Maybe the guy who has it would let you drive his truck a little so you can compare, although I'm not sure if you can make a good comparison since he has a prerunner.
The fact that I won't have my stock one is the only thing holding me back. I was thinking about asking him if I could buy back my stock air box back after he does the 4.0 swap.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:34 PM   #16
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid hurts. View Post
I can't decide. I asked a member on CT who has one on his 5-lugger and he said it sounds good. He likes it.

The fact that I won't have my stock one is the only thing holding me back. I was thinking about asking him if I could buy back my stock air box back after he does the 4.0 swap.
I forgot you mentioned he was doing an engine swap. Yeah, I'd ask him about that.

If you get it be sure to post pics and a review.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:44 PM   #17
Hoogie boogie!

Quote:
Just trade him. Maybe the CAI will do good for your Tacoma.
Man Harrelsen, you really want me to trade for the CAI haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afd23a View Post
I forgot you mentioned he was doing an engine swap. Yeah, I'd ask him about that.

If you get it be sure to post pics and a review.
Will do.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:46 PM   #18
Hi
dysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Manny
dysfunctnlretard's Tacoma Gallery
does the 5 lug tacoma draw air directly from the wheel well like the 6 lug does?
Old 10-27-2009, 09:47 PM   #19
Hi
dysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Manny
dysfunctnlretard's Tacoma Gallery
If the answer is yes^^, then dont trade. IIRC Chris4x4 tested some CAI on the dyno and those that drew air from the engine bay lost power over the stock air assembly