Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Engine clicking at 1st start up of day

Old 10-30-2009, 07:33 AM   #1
Lifted 'n Locked 4WD Prerunner
01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
01tacoprerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to 01tacoprerunner
Engine clicking at 1st start up of day

So recently i have notice that when i first start my truck up in the morning there is a clicking in the engine. Its not really cold outside, like 50* degrees f. Its just when i start backing up not giving the motor any gas just idling. O its the 2.7 4 cyl.

Can anybody tell me how to fix this or what it may be???
Old 10-30-2009, 07:34 AM   #2
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Check your exhaust manifold for a crack.
Old 10-30-2009, 07:40 AM   #3
01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Really?? the exhaust manifold?
Old 10-30-2009, 07:57 AM   #4
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, a crack will make a ticking sound. Also, look where the manifold meets the pipe for a small leak.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:17 AM   #5
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Or....It could simply be a normal sound...that comes from metal expanding and contracting when its hot/cold. I've heard this similar sound on many vehicles. They'll often 'click' when you shut the truck off and they cool down.
Old 10-30-2009, 04:36 PM   #6
def4pos8 is a splendid one to beholddef4pos8 is a splendid one to beholddef4pos8 is a splendid one to beholddef4pos8 is a splendid one to beholddef4pos8 is a splendid one to beholddef4pos8 is a splendid one to beholddef4pos8 is a splendid one to behold
Air Force: Missile Combat Crew
def4pos8's Tacoma Gallery
Worn valve lifter(s) or solid lifters requiring lash adjustment are another possibility, especially if you're using dead dinosaur for crankcase lubrication. The cooler temperatures make it tougher for oil to reach every little orifice. If you have solid lifters they might be operating with little or no lubrication just after engine start.

Does the noise go away quickly or does it persist for more than five minutes?

If it silences quickly, I'd suspect lifters. If it hangs around, it could very well be an exhaust problem.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by def4pos8 View Post
Worn valve lifter(s) or solid lifters requiring lash adjustment are another possibility, especially if you're using dead dinosaur for crankcase lubrication. The cooler temperatures make it tougher for oil to reach every little orifice. If you have solid lifters they might be operating with little or no lubrication just after engine start.

Does the noise go away quickly or does it persist for more than five minutes?

If it silences quickly, I'd suspect lifters. If it hangs around, it could very well be an exhaust problem.
It silences pretty quickly, like after i give it gas and go. It only clicks when at 1st idle.
Old 10-31-2009, 05:08 AM   #8
def4pos8 is a splendid one to beholddef4pos8 is a splendid one to beholddef4pos8 is a splendid one to beholddef4pos8 is a splendid one to beholddef4pos8 is a splendid one to beholddef4pos8 is a splendid one to beholddef4pos8 is a splendid one to behold
Air Force: Missile Combat Crew
def4pos8's Tacoma Gallery
Well then, unless there's some strange bit of emissions gear causing this, I'd suspect it's in the lifters.

If you have solid lifters, a valve lash adjustment ought to make the noise stop.

If you have hydraulic lifters, fresh oil, maybe Mobil 1, AMSOIL or another synthetic, will help oil reach the clicking lifter more quickly to eliminate the noise. Beyond fresh oil, you'd have to repair or replace the lifter(s). A good mechanic can isolate an offending lifter but if one is bad, others are likely ready to die. The usual solution is to swap all the lifters.

Talk this over with a trustworthy, local mechanic or Toyota service guy. Even if you do the work yourself, it's good to listen to other opinions before spending time and money on a repair. The truck's still running so there's no need to rush.
Old 10-31-2009, 06:37 AM   #9
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01tacoprerunner View Post
It silences pretty quickly, like after i give it gas and go. It only clicks when at 1st idle.
My truck has a crack in the manifold and it does exactly the symptoms your describing. When its cold started the truck makes a ticking noise and once you get the manifold hot the metal expands and the crack goes away, causing the ticking noise to go away also. You should also notice this badass sounding popping noise from your exhaust when you down shift back to first gear approaching a redlight. I have the new manifold, but have not replaced it because of the sweet exhaust noise the cracked manifold creates.