Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

V6 AC for I4 Reg Cab?

Old 11-02-2009, 05:41 PM   #1
Pitt1552 is on a distinguished road
Pitt1552's Tacoma Gallery
V6 AC for I4 Reg Cab?

Hey all,
contemplating trading my 09 access cab v6 m/t trd sport for a 2010 regular cab 4x4. any thoughts? reason for trading is to save some money month to month, also, the commute to work is gonna get longer so i figure the added gas mileage will be a plus. Also finding that i dont really use the rear area of the cab often, and dont really tow. Not taking much of a hit on the trade so it seems like a good idea to me, figured i'd see what yall thought.

Thanks

(feel free to chime in on color options)
Old 11-02-2009, 06:03 PM   #2
Flyinhigh is on a distinguished road
Flyinhigh's Tacoma Gallery
ill trade my single cab 4x4 with you
Old 11-02-2009, 06:14 PM   #3
senile member
Tacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Ex Navy. subs
Tacoyota's Tacoma Gallery
You might be able to refinance longer terms for the 4.0.
I like my reg cab and wouldnt trade it,but everyone likes the truck they bought lol. Your 0-60 is gonna be about 10 seconds and not 7 seconds...give or take.
youll see about 24 mpg if your mindful, 26 mpg if you push the issue a bit, lower maintainance etc.
See if they can get a used reg cab and save more, but they are tough to find from what I see here.
Old 11-02-2009, 06:16 PM   #4
open to offers, after havin a regular cab what are your thoughts?
Old 11-02-2009, 06:17 PM   #5
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Get the regular cab, then swap in the v6...or v8
Old 11-02-2009, 06:20 PM   #6
Cunuckoma 98 - 425,000 Miles
Canuckoma is on a distinguished road
Canuckoma's Tacoma Gallery
Way less room for McDonalds Wrappers and empty Starbucks cups. When You factor in cleaning the truck 4 times a year instead of only twice with the extended cab I don't think it will be worthwhile. Plus fat chick will expect rides if you end up with a bench seat.
Old 11-02-2009, 06:21 PM   #7
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Personally, I would never give up the 6...frankly, I think it should be the base engine, and toyota needs to offer the 4.6L V8 as the optional trim. But then, I'm not exactly thinking with my business head there.

In any event, to advise you better OP, we need to know some financial information. What's the status of your loan on the current Taco? How much payment can you realistically make on a car(s) per month? Etc.
Old 11-02-2009, 06:22 PM   #8
senile member
Tacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I have to pack cautiously for hunting/hiking trips, my previous truck was a crew cab 6.5' diesel silverado, it held everything.I'm ok with that.
For a reg cab, its comfy, and has plenty of leg room, I'm only 5'11" It'll go back more than I can use.
Always a parking spot fit wise or u-turn to get it.
Can't really explain it, but I think its more fun than any other truck I had.

One last thought, test drive it, go up a hill at 55 or so mph, it'll still accelerate, but that will tell you if you like the modest power, to me its strong for a 4 cylinder.
Old 11-02-2009, 06:25 PM   #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoyota View Post
You might be able to refinance longer terms for the 4.0.
I like my reg cab and wouldnt trade it,but everyone likes the truck they bought lol. Your 0-60 is gonna be about 10 seconds and not 7 seconds...give or take.
youll see about 24 mpg if your mindful, 26 mpg if you push the issue a bit, lower maintainance etc.
See if they can get a used reg cab and save more, but they are tough to find from what I see here.

Thanks for the reply, i tend to drive like an old man so i'm not to worried about the 0-60, though the 6 is fun to get on every so often. Figured I'd be doing more hauling w/ a trailer than i have been, as the bed as been more than up to the task (mulch n brick n such). very few used regular cabs in the area, going to test drive one at another dealer tomorrow to make sure it feels right(the trucks i've been looking at havent been the exact model i've been eyeing up, this other dealer has one). Drove the 4 banger access cab and it seemed peppy enough for me. i tend to do about 18-19 mpg city/hwy mix 20.5 all highway, so i'm hoping there will be a bit of a gain w/ the I4.

Any other thoughts and opinions are much appreciated! Thanks again all.
Old 11-02-2009, 06:27 PM   #10
You could always go for one of those used japanese imports. Isuzu makes some miniture 4wd cab over diesels. You would get 50 MPG and still be able to haul stuff and go 4x4ing.
Old 11-02-2009, 06:33 PM   #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
Personally, I would never give up the 6...frankly, I think it should be the base engine, and toyota needs to offer the 4.6L V8 as the optional trim. But then, I'm not exactly thinking with my business head there.

In any event, to advise you better OP, we need to know some financial information. What's the status of your loan on the current Taco? How much payment can you realistically make on a car(s) per month? Etc.

Making the payments on the truck hasn't been a problem, but i figure if i'm able to save money long term it might not be a bad idea. if i refi the current truck i'll save quite a bit as the interest rate will be far lower than the inital rate toyota gave me(5.25 vs 8.5), but i also figure the truck is pushing 12000 miles and i dont know that ive really used much of any of the utility that the v6 provides, and as other have suggested, the back seat turns into a bit of a junk area. So if i can get into a new truck with and save a bit more$$ i figure why not consider it.
Old 11-02-2009, 06:35 PM   #12
Hey easy.... empty Starbucks cups are not junk, they can be made into a funnel in a pinch for adding oil to your friends fFord products in a pinch.
Old 11-02-2009, 06:38 PM   #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckoma View Post
Hey easy.... empty Starbucks cups are not junk, they can be made into a funnel in a pinch for adding oil to your friends fFord products in a pinch.
haha, mine tend to be dunkin donuts or wawa cups, but yes they do work well as impromptu funnels.
Old 11-02-2009, 06:41 PM   #14
senile member

Honestly though, I want to pay the reg cab off, then get a used suburban or so for bigger trips or towing dads trailer. Based on my usage both would do about 80-90% of the same stuff.The 2nd truck would be more recreation/rv like.I'd drive the Taco 6000 of the 8000 miles i drive a year still most likely.
Old 11-03-2009, 04:53 PM   #15
The Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud of
The Shape's Tacoma Gallery
I had an '07 regular cab and now have an '09 access cab. Main reason for me getting the access was that I occasionally have to haul the kids to school and I needed the space. For just me going back and forth to work the regular cab was fine. I kinda like the look of the regular cab better as well.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:46 PM   #16
Omnipotent
Hootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Hootbro's Tacoma Gallery
I bet if you really do the math factoring in the depreciation between the trades, that money would have bought you a lot of gas over what you thought would have been saved.

If you want the other truck, then get it but do not bullshit yourself on money saved by going from a V6 to a 4 cylinder.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:14 PM   #17
silverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jason
silverback's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoyota View Post
I have to pack cautiously for hunting/hiking trips, my previous truck was a crew cab 6.5' diesel silverado, it held everything.I'm ok with that.
For a reg cab, its comfy, and has plenty of leg room, I'm only 5'11" It'll go back more than I can use.
Always a parking spot fit wise or u-turn to get it.
Can't really explain it, but I think its more fun than any other truck I had.

One last thought, test drive it, go up a hill at 55 or so mph, it'll still accelerate, but that will tell you if you like the modest power, to me its strong for a 4 cylinder.
I really agree with this. This is the first 4 cylinder that I have driven that has some really good power. I was on the interstate doing 80 and the ride was smooth. The truck didnt feel tapped out. I am 6'1 and with the seat completely back I have to reach a bit for the wheel. This is the first truck I have ever owned and I am glad that it is a Toyota Reg cab. Ill drive this thing till it gives up.
Old 11-04-2009, 03:07 AM   #18
My Truck is Cuter than Yours
Kelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelson
Kelson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckoma View Post
Way less room for McDonalds Wrappers and empty Starbucks cups. When You factor in cleaning the truck 4 times a year instead of only twice with the extended cab I don't think it will be worthwhile. Plus fat chick will expect rides if you end up with a bench seat.
you can't carry fat chicks in the reg cab. they don't fit. REG CAB FTW! lol
Old 11-04-2009, 01:21 PM   #19
Banned
Isthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Isthatahemi's Tacoma Gallery
I had a 2009 AC 4cyl 4X4. I now have a 2010 AC V6 4X4 Auto. I have owned both, so I don't have to guess. I preferred the 4 cyl over the 6. It easily got 25 IMPG, whereas my V6 has averaged 20 IMPG. I laugh when some people suggest that the 4 and 6 are close mileage-wise, they are not. The 4 has plenty of power, I found it towed my #2700 folding camper effortlessly, and very effeciently at 70 mph. My opinion is you will be very happy with the 4. The only reason I have the 6 is the wife hates shifting. If it came with an auto, I'd have bought it. I'd say you may save 20% on your fuel bill. Around town, maybe more. Of the 2 trucks, I preferred the 4 overall....Good luck
Old 11-04-2009, 03:41 PM   #20
senile member

with snow tires at 29 psi , 300 lb of gear , 230lb of me, snow and rain, winter methanol blend and 65-70 mph , my 4 cyl still got 21 mph, amazing, oh yea 3 mtn grades too. That beats my 97 Dakota I used to have that would get 10-13 on the same type of trip(noitwasntahemi) just a 5.2 .