Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

more hp

Old 11-10-2009, 08:42 AM   #1
prerunner05 is on a distinguished road

Name: David
prerunner05's Tacoma Gallery
more hp

So have any of you guys added/modded anything to notice an an appreciated hp gain. Love my 2.7 but just want a lil more.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:04 AM   #2
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
Slap on a turbo or a supercharger, only proven ways to gain HP.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:34 AM   #3
Captain
Juggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Juggernaut's Tacoma Gallery
I believe every TRD sticker you place on your truck will add 3 horse power.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:39 AM   #4
Unsuspectingly striking from above
BirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Greg
BirdTRD's Tacoma Gallery
New air intake/filter system in combination with a free flow cat back exhaust system can boost you a little with any added stress on the engine. In fact, they can even reduce stress on the engine. I haven't researched it much, but chip/programs can do good things too w/o stressing the engine like turbos or supers would.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:42 AM   #5
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
alpine developments finally came out with a supercharger look into that. other than that the only way your gonna get more power is regearing, down side to that is freeway driving rpm's. other than that intake, exhaust and crap dot do all that much! chips dont do anything but mess your engine up, from what other people say. only "chip" that might be worth it is urd maf calibrator.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:46 AM   #6
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roland
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
I put a magnaflow high flow cat-back on my truck with not much noise gain (throatier at low RPMs no rice sound) but there is definitely a power gain. Its hard to notice upon take-off but i notice no more downshifting to fourth on long hills to maintain 70mph. I also noticed 1-2mpg increase. My 4x4 2.7 averages 23-24mpg 60% highway 40% city with some CA traffic here and there and i dont drive easy. Im very happy with my little reg cab.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:59 AM   #7
Unsuspectingly striking from above
BirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Greg
BirdTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08pretaco View Post
alpine developments finally came out with a supercharger look into that. other than that the only way your gonna get more power is regearing, down side to that is freeway driving rpm's. other than that intake, exhaust and crap dot do all that much! chips dont do anything but mess your engine up, from what other people say. only "chip" that might be worth it is urd maf calibrator.
I never claimed "exhaust and crap" will turn your truck into a top fuel funny car. It just frees up some of the potential of your engine while decreasing stress. It frequently even increases your mpg! Most hardcore supers and stuff will do little more than burn through your engine. Various engine parts (heads, cams, rods, rockers, etc.) just aren't designed to run at the levels chargers put you at.

Re-gearing does not increase power. It just changes the way the existing power is transferred to the road. Like you said, there is a penalty to that change as well.
Old 11-10-2009, 02:39 PM   #8
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08pretaco View Post
On a V6 tacoma gains from exhaust and intake are not that noticable as stock parts are well matched for cfm limits intake and exhaust of a stock engine. The 2.7l intake and exhaust seem to be really restrictive and the 2.7 does not breath good. The engine has to work harder to pull air in and push air out. The restricted air flow causes the ecu to lean out the fuel mixture to compensate for lack of air. This is done to pass emissions. When you free up the intake and exhaust the ecu will automatically richen the mixture and your engine will run better and the added fuel, less restriction, and more power will allow you to drive without having to keep your foot in it giving you better mpgs.

I had a car with an aftermarket onboard computer that would tell me my throttle position. After the addition of K&N intake and Borla exhaust my car required 7% less throttle input to maintain 80mph. the power gains were not noticable while driving other than noise, and i had a 4mpg increase.
Old 11-10-2009, 03:29 PM   #9
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

i have a afe air filter, jardine cat back, secondary filter removed, and the inner fender "intake" taken out. i dont feel any noticeable performance or have difference in gas mileage.

oh and forgot dt headers. that was the most noticable even at that im whatever about it. though i do think the best mod for our trucks is the dt header

thats why i mentioned your losses at higher rpm's. if you want power and dont do alot of freeway, i think regearing would be a great idea, if you hardly see the freeway. otherwise go other routes

"I had a car with an aftermarket onboard computer that would tell me my throttle position. After the addition of K&N intake and Borla exhaust my car required 7% less throttle input to maintain 80mph. the power gains were not noticable while driving other than noise, and i had a 4mpg increase."
Thats awesome! wish my taco got a decent amount of power from the mods i got!
Old 11-10-2009, 07:43 PM   #10

Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
"i have a afe air filter, jardine cat back, secondary filter removed, and the inner fender "intake" taken out. i dont feel any noticeable performance or have difference in gas mileage."

That blows, thats alot of money and parts that should have given you some gains. Ive wondered if the mileage will peak and no matter what else you do it wont get better. I want to get larger tires but dont want to lose the mileage. Hopefully some of these mods will allow the truck to not lose as many mpgs with 265/75-16s as a stock truck would
Old 11-10-2009, 07:45 PM   #11
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
flame stickers 5 hp each you get 5 of them and a few trd stickers and you will be hauling
Old 11-10-2009, 09:08 PM   #12
doing my thing.
kcbmx is a splendid one to beholdkcbmx is a splendid one to beholdkcbmx is a splendid one to beholdkcbmx is a splendid one to beholdkcbmx is a splendid one to beholdkcbmx is a splendid one to behold

Firefighter: Hotshot
Name: Marco
kcbmx's Tacoma Gallery
youll loose about 2mpg. i noticed this after trowing some nitto m/t tires.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoytoda View Post
"i have a afe air filter, jardine cat back, secondary filter removed, and the inner fender "intake" taken out. i dont feel any noticeable performance or have difference in gas mileage."

That blows, thats alot of money and parts that should have given you some gains. Ive wondered if the mileage will peak and no matter what else you do it wont get better. I want to get larger tires but dont want to lose the mileage. Hopefully some of these mods will allow the truck to not lose as many mpgs with 265/75-16s as a stock truck would
Old 11-10-2009, 09:22 PM   #13
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggernaut View Post
I believe every TRD sticker you place on your truck will add 3 horse power.
x2
Old 11-10-2009, 09:48 PM   #14

thanks for the feedback. i was thinking dt headers and manaflow muffler as next mod, but it kinda suxs to hear you dont really notice anything from them.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:52 PM   #15
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
On a V6 tacoma gains from exhaust and intake are not that noticable as stock parts are well matched for cfm limits intake and exhaust of a stock engine. The 2.7l intake and exhaust seem to be really restrictive and the 2.7 does not breath good.
Can I ask why exactly you think that and what your rationale is behind that statment?
Old 11-10-2009, 10:08 PM   #17

Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgerm View Post
Can I ask why exactly you think that and what your rationale is behind that statment?

Im speaking more percentages than actual numbers. The V6 may gain good horsepower but the 4 cyclinder gains the same horsepower but the percentage is higher. ( Ex. a K&N intake gives a V6 10hp which relays to a 3.5% gain. A K&N intake on the 2.7 gives about 8HP gain which is close to a 5% gain in HP over stock)

Looking under my truck the stock muffler on my 2.7 seems to be quite a bit bigger than the v6 muffler which to me translates to more baffling (maybe in an attempt to mask 4 cylinder buzz) The airbox on the 2.7l also seems larger, however the air inlet to the box is much smaller.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:12 PM   #18
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Im speaking more percentages than actual numbers. The V6 may gain good horsepower but the 4 cyclinder gains the same horsepower but the percentage is higher. ( Ex. a K&N intake gives a V6 10hp which relays to a 3.5% gain. A K&N intake on the 2.7 gives about 8HP gain which is close to a 5% gain in HP over stock)

Looking under my truck the stock muffler on my 2.7 seems to be quite a bit bigger than the v6 muffler which to me translates to more baffling (maybe in an attempt to mask 4 cylinder buzz) The airbox on the 2.7l also seems larger, however the air inlet to the box is much smaller.
That makes sense, but I personally think the stock system is about as efficient as it gets. I agree if anywhere, the muffler would be the "weak" point which is why I recommend to anyone upgrading the exhaust to skip the full catback system and just replace the muffler.

FWIW chris4x4 dynoed the K&N systems and they all lost HP on his V6. I dont think there is any intake system better than stock for the I4
Old 11-11-2009, 07:41 AM   #19
Almost there

some replaced the pipe between the box and throttle body and i dont remember exactly but didnt he mention he lost some low end power?

heres something on exhausts: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/per...explained.html

found it: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/4-c...ry-intake.html
Old 11-11-2009, 05:53 PM   #20

idk about some of you other guys, but i installed my afe pro s dry drop in air filter, and secondary filter removal, and i'll be damned it seems i may have lost some acceleration power just don't feel the same. headers and muffler definetly next for me.