Notices

I4 power????

Old 02-25-2008, 08:21 PM   #21
Tool Geek
river rat is on a distinguished road

river rat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland View Post
Tonight I found a site that lists 0 to 60 for the Tacoma regular cab I4 at 8.7 seconds and the access cab at 9.0 seconds. They have times listed for almost anything you'd commonly find on the road but I'm betting they're just estimating times based on HP torque and weight.... Not that I'm really worried about it because on a normal day I'm in front of half the people on the road.
Cool. Could you post the site address?
Rob
Old 02-26-2008, 05:02 AM   #22
My other ride has sails
Roland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Combat Arms Instructor, HQ Detachment, RING
Roland's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by river rat View Post
Cool. Could you post the site address?
Rob
I'll post it when I get home tonight.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:29 PM   #24
Tool Geek

Hey, thanks Roland! I like comparison sites.

Rob
Old 02-27-2008, 04:21 AM   #25
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
Want to know about 4 Cylinder Power???

Check this out...

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...linder-do.html
Old 02-27-2008, 08:28 AM   #26
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007Tacoma View Post
Want to know about 4 Cylinder Power???

Check this out...

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...linder-do.html
Always pimpin that little 4cyl of yours aren't you? if your I4 is so great then why are you swaping it out for a diesel? huh? answer me that one 007. Actually you know what? dont answer me, cause ever since you backed out on the Carolina Meet you're dead to me. You hear that Mark!!! You're dead to me!!!
Old 02-27-2008, 08:34 AM   #27
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcouch View Post
Always pimpin that little 4cyl of yours aren't you? if your I4 is so great then why are you swaping it out for a diesel? huh? answer me that one 007. Actually you know what? dont answer me, cause ever since you backed out on the Carolina Meet you're dead to me. You hear that Mark!!! You're dead to me!!!
I'm just glad that you're not upset about it.

Besides, I haven't backed out yet. I still got see how the money flows first. I have a wedding to go to in June, so some of my vacation will be used up on that. We shall see. I would love to cruise up to Carolina in the 4Runner with the newly installed 3.0 TD.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:51 AM   #28
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007Tacoma View Post
I'm just glad that you're not upset about it.

Besides, I haven't backed out yet. I still got see how the money flows first. I have a wedding to go to in June, so some of my vacation will be used up on that. We shall see. I would love to cruise up to Carolina in the 4Runner with the newly installed 3.0 TD.
DEAD TO ME!!!
Old 03-01-2008, 06:56 AM   #29
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
Ah, there's nothing wrong with the I4 if that's your taste. It's a good strong engine with decent performance and that's what matters. Me, I needed a DC so that wasn't an option. I've driven an AC 4cyl and it's sufficient but for me, I wanted a V6 regardless of body style so that's what I got. I don't regret it one bit. Gas prices don't determine what I drive because in the end, they'll go down like always and then I'd be stuck with something I'm not entirely happy with.
Old 03-01-2008, 07:36 AM   #30
lawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nice

lawnrevenge's Tacoma Gallery
My last car required premium gas, like the V6 tacomas. You could tell a huge difference when using regular. I came to hate spending that little bit extra.
But I doubt anyone would be happy with a DC loaded down with 4 people and a full bed if it only had a 4-cyl. I've driven fully loaded and the truck has more power than my dad's old ranger or his gen-1 tacoma (both 4-cyl.)
Old 03-02-2008, 03:48 PM   #31
Tool Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm3bow View Post
...but I know this truck is by no means meant for racing...
That's the thing with me. I like a V-6, too, but I needed a standard cab and am happy with the four.
Besides, I can outrun any Corvette with it....off road...and most of the planet is not paved, right?
The bottom line is, if I wanted a sports car, I would have bought one, and I just don't need the extra towing power of the six. I don't even have a trailer.

Rob
Old 08-13-2008, 08:35 PM   #32
OIF/OEF/3VZ Veteran
Seafarinman is on a distinguished road

Navy: IT1(SW)-OIF/OEF Veteran
Seafarinman's Tacoma Gallery
Considering that my truck used to have a 3.0 V6 in it, I am very happy with the performance of the 2RZ under the hood. With the SAS, 37" tires, turbo R151F tranny, dual cases, and 5.29's in the differentials, I can't believe that I just went over 200 miles on a half tank of gas!
Old 08-14-2008, 08:19 AM   #33
CometKat is a jewel in the roughCometKat is a jewel in the roughCometKat is a jewel in the rough
CometKat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland View Post
The 08 ranger 3 liter is 148 HP. My coworker bought one saying he liked my truck's looks but "4 cylinders don't have enough power." Now he has the "power" of a whimpy 6 cylinder further neutered by an automatic tranny. I laughed my ass off at him because he's getting 15 mpg and I can out run him.
I test drove one of the Ford Rangers with a V6 and automatic 4 years ago. It was such a dog that initially I though I had left the emergency brake on by accident. Then I test drove a 04 extended cab Tacoma with an I4 and the power was much better. The power to weight ratio on the 04 Tacoma is almost identical to my new 08 regular cab so I never test drove the 08. I regularly drive up a 3000 foot mountain pass and I can drive 10 mph over the speed limit all the way up. So the I4 is more than adequate but if a V6 regular cab had been offered I probably would have taken it.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:28 PM   #34
Jackellis is on a distinguished road
Jackellis's Tacoma Gallery
We just (last weekend) bought an '08 4x4 Access Cab with the I4. First truck for us and it's perfect. During her test drive my wife was pleasantly surprised by how quickly it accelerated without having to lean on the gas. We bought in Reno and the truck will eventually live full time on the other side of that 3000 foot pass CometKat talked about.

We're hoping we'll get in the high 20s highway and low 20s locally.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:30 PM   #35
This is TW. One never knows what is a joke anymore
beastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
beastlytaco's Tacoma Gallery
congrats.
Old 08-31-2008, 01:07 PM   #36
Jackellis is on a distinguished road
Jackellis's Tacoma Gallery
More about the new rig.

We drove it from Lake Tahoe down to near Auburn, CA (elev 1000) and then back up the hill later yesterday afternoon (max elevation 7227) with just two of us aboard (300 pound payload). Seemed to lug a bit on some uphill sections at 65 in fifth gear, not unlike our old '84 Subaru. Much better in 4th gear on the steeper parts. We're not unhappy with the performance but we'll have to be mindful of speed and traffic if we load the truck or pull a small trailer up that hill.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:06 AM   #37
nlaflamme is on a distinguished road
nlaflamme's Tacoma Gallery
once you drive an I4 with good compression you'll ask yourself what you need a V6 for other than the sound. Thats including hauling a loaded 2 place snowmobile trailer, or a 16 ft boat... the only time you know its there (as long as you wind it right up) is when you hit the brakes.