Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

bearing or grinding noise at high speed deceleration

Old 11-20-2009, 03:20 PM   #1
approach has much to be proud ofapproach has much to be proud ofapproach has much to be proud ofapproach has much to be proud ofapproach has much to be proud ofapproach has much to be proud ofapproach has much to be proud ofapproach has much to be proud of

Name: jason
approach's Tacoma Gallery
bearing or grinding noise at high speed deceleration

i have searched the forum for this and found some stuff. but i dont have the clunking noise that most say. when i decelerate in 3.4.5th gear it sounds like a bearing is grinding or loose, all most like its spinning. any ideas. a lot of the threads i found close to this problem, none had seemed to solve them. any help would be great. thx
Old 11-20-2009, 04:07 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
From where are you hearing the sound?
Old 11-20-2009, 04:09 PM   #3
approach has much to be proud ofapproach has much to be proud ofapproach has much to be proud ofapproach has much to be proud ofapproach has much to be proud ofapproach has much to be proud ofapproach has much to be proud ofapproach has much to be proud of

it sounds close to under the middle to front of the cab centered.
Old 11-20-2009, 04:11 PM   #4
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Hmm....Im guessing the tranny.....When was the last time the fluid was changed?
Old 11-20-2009, 04:12 PM   #5
Beef Slut
vtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Willie
vtragweed's Tacoma Gallery
could the u joint be gone, what speed does it happen
Old 11-20-2009, 04:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtragweed View Post
could the u joint be gone, what speed does it happen
Not sure a bad joint would make a grinding sound.....It could, but I havent heard it like that....
Old 11-20-2009, 04:34 PM   #7

it happens around 50 and above. it has the ome coil overs and leaf springs. looks to be a few inches taller than stock. thought it might be from the angle change. this a new truck to me. its a 2005 reg cab 5 speed man. it has 28000 miles on it.
Old 11-20-2009, 04:35 PM   #8

my truck

j
Attached Thumbnails
bearing or grinding noise at high speed deceleration-dsc_0003_1.jpg  
Old 11-20-2009, 04:47 PM   #9

Hmmm......Sounds like it could be the tranny. Only in gears 3, 4 and 5?
Old 11-20-2009, 04:53 PM   #10

so far thats all i have noticed. i went under and looked at the drive shaft, the u joints dont have play in them . i could turn the shaft about a .25in. just kinda weird. as soon as i give it some gas it goes away. let off and its there.
Old 11-20-2009, 06:18 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by approach View Post
so far thats all i have noticed. i went under and looked at the drive shaft, the u joints dont have play in them . i could turn the shaft about a .25in. just kinda weird. as soon as i give it some gas it goes away. let off and its there.
Change the fluid and see if that does anything.
Old 11-20-2009, 06:36 PM   #12

change the fluid in the....... transfer case???
Old 11-20-2009, 06:54 PM   #13

Quote:
change the fluid in the....... transfer case???
I would say trans, tranny, and diffs, but Im thinking this should be covered by the 60k powertrain warranty....It might be a good idea to take it in to the dealer.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:00 PM   #14
Rocking your mom's world Since 1997
drew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

drew02a's Tacoma Gallery
I have the same noise and haven't been able to figure it out yet. I removed the read drive shaft and drove it as front wheel drive and it got rid of the sound, so it's not the tranny. Maybe something is loose in the transfer case.
Old 11-21-2009, 07:52 AM   #15
Master Jedi Member I am...
chad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Chad
chad68's Tacoma Gallery
This noise has been covered. Take your foot off the gas at freeway speeds, makes noise, then it goes away when you slow down to about 50 MPH (mine goes away at 50MPH also). Give me a minute and I will find the thread. I asked the same question and there is susspoisdly a TSB for it but from what I've heard doesnt do much if any good.

EDIT:

Here is the thread I started about it. There is another one on it too. I'll see if i can find it.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ay-speeds.html
Old 11-21-2009, 06:04 PM   #16

630+ miles today

well left oklahoma city this morn at 430am to drive to lawrence ks to pick up my shell. averaged 16.5 mpg. not what i expected. best i did with a gas treatment was a little over 17mpg. would like to get better than that. so i will start looking to see what i can do. i dont think the arb bumper weighs that much. running 265/ 75/ 16 bfg ats. anyone running close to this set up and getting better mpg?

well the noise is still there. its wild how giving it gas makes it go away. it feels like something is either not fully engaging or disengaging. cant tell. its at high speeds. i would like to find out what is going on. i read the thread that was posted. is this the final answer?

"The TSB states, remove and replace Rear Differential. Toyota carriers are setup as a completly assembled ring and pinon. If the gears howl during deceleration only, itís possible that the pinion-bearing preload has loosened or the pinion / carrier bearings are damaged
Old 11-21-2009, 06:11 PM   #17

630+ miles today

cause mine doesnt sound like its in the rear at all. heres a pic of the shell for $100 is is a nice ARE shell, needs paint. but everything works great and is real nice. thx for the info on the shell.
Attached Thumbnails
bearing or grinding noise at high speed deceleration-truck.jpg  
Old 11-21-2009, 06:12 PM   #18
Rocking your mom's world Since 1997
drew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

drew02a's Tacoma Gallery
I changed my diff to ARB and it still makes the noise.
Old 11-22-2009, 06:30 AM   #19
Master Jedi Member I am...
chad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Chad
chad68's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
cause mine doesnt sound like its in the rear at all. heres a pic of the shell for $100 is is a nice ARE shell, needs paint. but everything works great and is real nice. thx for the info on the shell.

My noise sounded like it was coming from in between the bed and cab.
Old 11-22-2009, 09:58 AM   #20

so no one has figured this out yet? i thought for sure someone had a solution. i guess i will take it to my mech friends and see what they say. i bought my truck used, is the 60k powertrain warranty still good on a used truck. i only have 29k on it.