Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Is This LEGAL?

Old 12-01-2009, 05:37 PM   #1
silverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jason
silverback's Tacoma Gallery
Is This LEGAL?

when I purchased my used 06 tacoma I found out after receiving my registration and tags that I have to pay them again in 3 months. I then noticed that the dealership had the truck on there lot with expired tags for nine months. Can a dealership sale a vehicle that has expired tags. I dont think I should be responsible for paying 9 months worth of expired tags when I didnt own the vehicle. I was charged $271 for registration on my purchase agreement. Shouldnt I have a whole years worth of tags?
Old 12-01-2009, 05:42 PM   #3
Happy Camper
SamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SamSter0077's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback View Post
when I purchased my used 06 tacoma I found out after receiving my registration and tags that I have to pay them again in 3 months. I then noticed that the dealership had the truck on there lot with expired tags for nine months. Can a dealership sale a vehicle that has expired tags. I dont think I should be responsible for paying 9 months worth of expired tags when I didnt own the vehicle. I was charged $271 for registration on my purchase agreement. Shouldnt I have a whole years worth of tags?

When did you buy it? Yeah, they are supposed to register it when you buy it. If the tags are good, and it's a used vehicle.. I think 3 months or so is the guideline on whether they replace them on not before selling. Yes, sounds like you got Hosed...

oops, Texas rules..
Old 12-01-2009, 05:43 PM   #4
dhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 20 years: Field Artillery, Communications & Range NCO
Name: Doug
dhurley's Tacoma Gallery
I guess it depends on your state, which is . . . .?
In Colorado you pay the dealer state tax, but then city & county you pay for when you get your tags. I bought my 04 in May this year & my tags were over $600.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:43 PM   #5
Griztaco is a splendid one to beholdGriztaco is a splendid one to beholdGriztaco is a splendid one to beholdGriztaco is a splendid one to beholdGriztaco is a splendid one to beholdGriztaco is a splendid one to beholdGriztaco is a splendid one to behold
Griztaco's Tacoma Gallery
That doesn't sound right to me.

When I bought mine new from the dealership, I payed for one year of registrations tags, and was not prorated for time on the lot.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:01 AM   #6
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah...you should definately get a whole years worth of registration & such.

I'd take the truck & paperwork back to the dealership and get stuff worked out.

Don't get mad about it yet - they could've made a legitimate mistake and might be glad to take care of it for you.

If they don't take care of it, then...feel free to get pissed off and push some buttons (if you know what I mean).
Old 12-02-2009, 11:10 AM   #7
silverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shed
I talked to the general manager and he said they dont have to register it when they purchase it. And that I payed to have the tags current. He said "thats just the way it is". I contacted other dealerships and asked them this question, and they said thats unheard of. I should have one years worth of tags if I payed for them during bill of sale. So I contacted the Better Business Bureau and filed a complaint. I am in the middle of trying to contact DMV but the wait time on the phone is unreal. Have to make an appointment. The manager said they paid the late fees but not to have current registration. I told him that I was hopeing he would take care of it but since he wouldnt I would take this as far as I have to in order to get this resolved.
Old 12-02-2009, 11:16 AM   #8
Who needs 4WD?
neslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Harrelsen
neslerrah's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe you can speak to the manager's manger, which will be a regional manager. I think you could get more help with a regional manager. I hope everything works out and your not charge for what should have been taken care by the dealership.
Old 12-02-2009, 11:19 AM   #9
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback View Post
I talked to the general manager and he said they dont have to register it when they purchase it. And that I payed to have the tags current. He said "thats just the way it is". I contacted other dealerships and asked them this question, and they said thats unheard of. I should have one years worth of tags if I payed for them during bill of sale. So I contacted the Better Business Bureau and filed a complaint. I am in the middle of trying to contact DMV but the wait time on the phone is unreal. Have to make an appointment. The manager said they paid the late fees but not to have current registration. I told him that I was hopeing he would take care of it but since he wouldnt I would take this as far as I have to in order to get this resolved.
Good Job!! I mean.....taking the bull by the horns making phone calls and making things happen.

I've dealt with the BBB before in a couple situations.
Have you searched the BBB ? Maybe that dealership is already listed there with similar complaints? They should be able to help.
Good Luck!
Old 12-02-2009, 12:48 PM   #10
copernicus is a jewel in the roughcopernicus is a jewel in the roughcopernicus is a jewel in the roughcopernicus is a jewel in the rough

copernicus's Tacoma Gallery
Is your birthday near?

You paid for registration/tag/title transfer I'm assuming? That only covers you up to your next registration(birthday).
Old 12-02-2009, 02:35 PM   #11
Im not understanding the birthday part but the registration says that I am good from 2/28/09 till 2/28/10. Which means I paid $271 for three and a half months worth of driving time. Like I had mentioned I bought the truck used on October 21 2009. If at all the dealership should have paid to get the tags current and on februrary 28 2010 I would pay to re-register for the following year. Not charge me twice for the truck sitting on their lot for nine months. I am beyond pissed and am prepared to make sure no one I know and everyone they know do not buy from this dealership. I might contact a local TV station that helps solve the problem for consumers. Double check the tags on any used vehicle when you purchase it thats all I can say.
Old 12-02-2009, 03:19 PM   #12
Banned
Masada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Taylor
Masada's Tacoma Gallery
You paid for the remainder of the year on the registration (prorated). If you would have paid the full amount it would have been much more expensive. Probably the way they make it look like your saving money when your not.

A new Toyota Tacoma is not going to be registered for $271 for a full year, it will be at least double that for one year if not more.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:10 PM   #13
This is not a new truck so yes $271 is about right for an 06 reg cab, for a 12 month period. My wifes car is an 07 turbocharged and those tags are $316. As I said before it cant be prorated because my registration that I just received says from 2/28/09 -2/28/10. That means I payed for nine months they had it and for 3 months I will have it that adds up to 12. I will be writing my congressman about this and what can be done. When I traded in a vehicle a while back my tags were expired for only one month, I had to pay upfront for the next years worth of tags before they would take it as a trade.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:28 PM   #14
BWro is a glorious beacon of lightBWro is a glorious beacon of lightBWro is a glorious beacon of lightBWro is a glorious beacon of lightBWro is a glorious beacon of lightBWro is a glorious beacon of light
BWro's Tacoma Gallery
You guys pay $300 + for regestration? A year?
Old 12-03-2009, 04:24 AM   #15
If you want it bad, you usually get it bad!
Mark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: LCDR Mustang (Ret) - 30 yrs - Submarine and Target Service
Name: Mark
Mark C.'s Tacoma Gallery
Be happy you don't live in CT!!!
Registration of new 2010 A/C ....purchase price $23,500 (2 years):
Sales Tax:..................$1,410
Green house:...............$10
Emissions....................$40 (no test even done!)
Registration.................$132 (combination)
Plate fee.....................$10
Total.........................$1,602 (Does not include property tax which will be billed from the town in which I live)
Old 12-03-2009, 07:34 AM   #16
actually you dont have it that bad Ca is the worst for all that stuff our sales tax alone on your car would have been $2056 plus tags and registration which is another $450 on your new vehicle so I would be glad to live in CT. we pay property tax also.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:42 AM   #17
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masada View Post
You paid for the remainder of the year on the registration (prorated). If you would have paid the full amount it would have been much more expensive. Probably the way they make it look like your saving money when your not.

A new Toyota Tacoma is not going to be registered for $271 for a full year, it will be at least double that for one year if not more.
This is completely different State to State
Old 12-03-2009, 11:36 AM   #18
mattvivsound is on a distinguished road
Name: Matt
mattvivsound's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to mattvivsound
in MD... there is two things you can do to registar a new purchase...

If you had tags from your old truck (trade in) you can use the remaining time that you paid for. OR have a new set of tags issued to you for 2 years.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:40 AM   #19
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattvivsound View Post
in MD... there is two things you can do to registar a new purchase...

If you had tags from your old truck (trade in) you can use the remaining time that you paid for. OR have a new set of tags issued to you for 2 years.
Similar in PA, except ours our done yearly.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:56 AM   #20
Acill is just really niceAcill is just really niceAcill is just really niceAcill is just really nice

Navy: Chief Gunners Mate
Name: Paul
Acill's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to Acill Send a message via AIM to Acill Send a message via Yahoo to Acill
I had a simular problem here in San Diego. I got my 05 and it was not registered fro 9 months, got the tags last month and they are due again this March. Dealer paid the late fee and got it to just current. Being non resident military its only $58 for me, but would be $350 if I was not.