Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

basic requirements

Old 12-19-2009, 02:39 PM   #1
Franette is on a distinguished road
Franette's Tacoma Gallery
basic requirements

As an owner with little time to look this up, I need answers to the following:
(1) Does this Tacoma have a timing belt? What would happen if it goes out; how much damage would it do - ruin the engine?

(2) Is there a connection between timing belts and cylinder compression? (I'm running on 20% compression in one cylinder.)

(3) Is there a reason the engine would not turn off with the keys out of the ignition place and the brakes on? (The only way I got out of this one was the burning of my starter which the mechanic said was due to the battery; so can a battery keep a car on when the keys are out?

(4) Sorry for the ignorance, but does my transmission need flushing which I never heard from my regular (5-yr) mechanic? Could the lack of flushing a transmission cause the truck to halt (twice) when going 25 mph and, eventually proceed?

(5) What is ruined in a truck by driving with the engine light flashing?
Old 12-19-2009, 02:41 PM   #2
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
No belt...I think its a chain
Old 12-19-2009, 03:02 PM   #3
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
You have a timing chain. And you dont need to "Flush" the tranny....Just change the oil every 30k or so miles. Get the code read and we can give you more info
Old 12-19-2009, 03:07 PM   #4
Low Speed, High Drag
kevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kevhogaz's Tacoma Gallery
I answered all these in his other thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franette View Post
As an owner with little time to look this up, I need answers to the following:

(1) Does this Tacoma have a timing belt? What would happen if it goes out; how much damage would it do - ruin the engine? (I'm at 93K now; purchased the vehicle at 147K; so now have 230K)

If your truck is a 4 cyl., then it has a chain.

(2) Is there a connection between timing belts and cylinder compression? I'm running on 20% compression in one cylinder until I decide if buying an engine is worth it. Is it?

No. If you have low compression in one ylinder, you need engine repairs, that are most likely not related to the timing chain.

(3) Is there a reason the engine would not turn off with the keys out of the ignition place and the brakes on? (The only way I got out of this one was the burning of my starter which the mechanic said was due to the battery; so can a battery keep a car on when the keys are out?

You have some serious electrical problems that need to be fixed before you burn your truck to the ground. It may be as simple as an ignition switch, but definitely figure out the problem.

(4) Sorry for the ignorance, but does my transmission need flushing which I never heard from my regular (5-yr) mechanic? Could the lack of flushing a transmission cause the truck to halt (twice) when going 25 mph and, eventually proceed?

No.

(5) What is ruined in a truck by driving with the engine light flashing?

It depends on the code, and what it's related to. The light is on to tell you that you have a problem that needs to be addressed.
Old 12-19-2009, 03:09 PM   #5
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevhogaz View Post
I answered all these in his other thread.
"other" thread, you say.........fixed....
Old 12-19-2009, 03:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Did you delete one? Because I can still see both threads.
Nope. I brought kevhogazs' reply, and copied it into this thread.
Old 12-19-2009, 03:21 PM   #8
Jigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jigzor's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Nope. I brought kevhogazs' reply, and copied it into this thread.
Showing off Mod power.
Old 12-19-2009, 03:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigzor View Post
Showing off Mod power.
But in a Helpful, and friendly way.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:02 PM   #10
Low and slow
dually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 14S
dually's Tacoma Gallery
sounds like this truck needs all new electrical system, engine and transmission...