Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

dynomax super turbo muffler?

Old 12-26-2009, 12:11 PM   #1
devilsalmostfree is just really nicedevilsalmostfree is just really nicedevilsalmostfree is just really nicedevilsalmostfree is just really nice

Army: 82D Airborne Div., Infantry Mortar Man, Paratrooper!
Name: Carl
devilsalmostfree's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to devilsalmostfree
dynomax super turbo muffler?

i have a 99 tacoma 4X4, reg cab, 5 spd, 2.7 ltr. im looking to get a dynomax super turbo muffler. i was wondering if anyone else with a 1st gen was running 1, & if so, whats the part # u all had? ive found the 17741, & i im thinking that is the right 1 for my taco. i just want to be sure before i order it!
http://www.jegs.com/i/Dynomax/289/17741/10002/-1#
heres the details on it Super Turbo; Muffler; Universal; Round; 6 in.; 2.25 in. ID; 14 in. Shell Length; 19.5 Overall Length
Old 01-27-2014, 03:40 PM   #2
TacoLoco98 is on a distinguished road

TacoLoco98's Tacoma Gallery
bump looking for same answer here!
Old 02-01-2014, 06:25 PM   #3
FmrFronty is on a distinguished road
Navy: TronChaser
FmrFronty's Tacoma Gallery
I recently installed a super turbo muffler from dynomax,mellow rumble,very low drone on hiway speed,pretty quiet at 1500rpm.
Old 02-01-2014, 11:40 PM   #4
bamufflers is one of the sharper tools in the shedbamufflers is one of the sharper tools in the shedbamufflers is one of the sharper tools in the shedbamufflers is one of the sharper tools in the shedbamufflers is one of the sharper tools in the shedbamufflers is one of the sharper tools in the shedbamufflers is one of the sharper tools in the shedbamufflers is one of the sharper tools in the shedbamufflers is one of the sharper tools in the shedbamufflers is one of the sharper tools in the shedbamufflers is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Keith
bamufflers's Tacoma Gallery
is that a 'straight thru' design? From what I've seen it's not, it's just a smaller version of stock and it's just designed to make a little more noise.

A 'straight thru' design properly sized will make the best power and sound
Old 02-02-2014, 01:51 AM   #5
crawl is a jewel in the roughcrawl is a jewel in the roughcrawl is a jewel in the rough
Name: Greg
crawl's Tacoma Gallery
I had that exact muffler in the 3" flavor on my supercharged h22 Prelude... it was horrible. sound was tinny and flow sucked. it is NOT a straight through design. I cut it off after one day.

btw.. crazy how a question in '09 has resurfaced in 2014.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:53 AM   #6
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: CH47 Chinook mechanic
tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by crawl View Post

wormhole
Old 02-03-2014, 06:47 PM   #7
TacoLoco98 is on a distinguished road

TacoLoco98's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I had that exact muffler in the 3" flavor on my supercharged h22 Prelude... it was horrible. sound was tinny and flow sucked. it is NOT a straight through design. I cut it off after one day.

Because I have the same truck and want the proper part number!! no point in making a new thread..

17741 or 17748..??
Old 02-03-2014, 10:41 PM   #8
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoLoco98 View Post
Because I have the same truck and want the proper part number!! no point in making a new thread..

17741 or 17748..??
This thread is good. Sorry, I was just joking around.

#17748 is 2 1/2" so that will work fine.

You could also use 17741 which is 2 1/4" but the muffler shop will need to swedge out the ends as the stock pipe is a metric diameter that comes out to about 2 3/8". But every muffler shop has a hydraulic pipe expander that opens up the ends in just a couple of seconds so it's not really an issue.

Greg
Old 02-03-2014, 10:56 PM   #9
Weasel09 is on a distinguished road
Army:
Name: Wes
Weasel09's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Weasel09
Atleast someone knows how to use the search feature instead of being lazy and making a repetitive thread!!!!
Old 02-06-2014, 06:56 AM   #10
itzyoboipaul will become famous soon enough

Name: Paul
itzyoboipaul's Tacoma Gallery
switch from magnaflow. it was too loud and gave me a headache

now I got the dynomax 17748 for my 13 DC. love the mellow deep sound after a couple months of break in period

chris4x4 did a dyno and I think dynomax gave the most gain
Old 02-06-2014, 08:05 AM   #11
crawl is a jewel in the roughcrawl is a jewel in the roughcrawl is a jewel in the rough
crawl's Tacoma Gallery
chris4x4 knows his shit!!

That said, I have no idea about what he dyno tested, the parameters, the engine, the mods, etc........
All I'm saying is that the Dynomax Super Turbo is a compromise between sound and flow. I will promise you that any brand straight through muffler will put out more flow and more power on a dyno. This is not my opinion... it's fact.

If somebody's motor puts out more power with a super turbo or any restrictive muffler over a straight thru design, then something else is restricting the system. The old school concept of "a little back pressure is good" is a MYTH!!!! A motor is a pump...air in, air out. Add any restriction in the system and you will lose flow. VELOCITY is something completely different than back pressure and people confuse the two. For the most power possible, you want ZERO restrictions and the highest velocity.

Don't take my word on this... call a real life exhaust/header fabricator and ask them yourself. that's what i did. oh......and lots of research on the subject as I built my supercharged prelude
Old 02-06-2014, 09:38 PM   #13
play every day

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The old school concept of "a little back pressure is good" is a MYTH!!!!
oh oh
Old 02-07-2014, 07:46 AM   #14
crawl's Tacoma Gallery
^^haha!!! Greg... I know you had a bad experience with opening up your exhaust and upgrading your muffler, but there could have been other factors that made you "feel" a torque loss. Our factory header back exhaust system is very well designed. Way better than my 2000 Honda exhaust. I'd like to remove the second cat and get a better sounding (and louder) muffler
Old 02-07-2014, 07:53 AM   #15
crawl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamufflers View Post
Very well put!!!^
thank you.. i usually sound like an idiot when i write or speak. my brain and the words that come out are not always in synch.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:57 AM   #16
play every day

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
^^haha!!! Greg... I know you had a bad experience with opening up your exhaust and upgrading your muffler, but there could have been other factors that made you "feel" a torque loss. Our factory header back exhaust system is very well designed. Way better than my 2000 Honda exhaust. I'd like to remove the second cat and get a better sounding (and louder) muffler
My situation is a little different from most in that I'm not looking for top end performance because my Taco is used as a utility vehicle for work. So all I need is bottom end pull and good gas mileage. I fully agree that opening up the exhaust gets you more top end performance. Heck, I still changed out my exhaust because I wanted some sound.

Greg
Old 02-08-2014, 10:03 AM   #17
crawl's Tacoma Gallery
^^I like your theory of wanting more low-end torque.. even on my non-work DD truck