1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

A 2.7L Filterbox mod, with pics

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by BradleyScottETC, Jan 24, 2010.

1. Jan 27, 2010 at 5:39 AM
    ToeCutter66

ToeCutter66 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Sterling VA
    Vehicle:
    09 4x2 5-lug
    None, yet.

+1, it is called a Helmholtz chamber. Not that it matters or anything.

2. Jan 27, 2010 at 7:14 AM
    drew02a

drew02a Rocking your mom's world Since 1997

Member:
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2006 Regular Cab 2.7L 4x4
    The "resonator" has more to do with efficiency than the way the intake sounds. Though it will make it louder, the purpose of the resonator is to tune the intake to the pulsation of the valves opening and closing.

3. Apr 3, 2010 at 1:57 PM
    tooxslick

tooxslick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    South San Francisco, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 BSP Access Cab
    LED Interior, MagLite Mount, BHLM, Limo Tint, Fog Lights, HIDs, PA15-TOY, DTRL, ReadyLIFT SST 2.75", Maplight Mod, Secondary Air Filter Removal, Black Interior, Debadged, AFE Stage II Intake, "Deckplate Mod", Satoshi grill.
    I tried to to remove that intake resonator today. I was only able to remove five clips perfectly and called it quits after not being able to get anymore out because it was a PITA.

EDIT: Since I had nothing else to do today, I gave it another try. I got the same clips out and just cut the rest. I'll just zip-tie/buy replaceable ones for the ones that I've cut. I have an aFe Stage II CAI. Hopefully this will help suck in cold air through the fender. Having to worry about water, a friend of mine has that CAI bag I can use.

Did you have any issues driving in (heavy) rain?

4. Apr 3, 2010 at 5:18 PM
    SigSense

SigSense Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Sport DCLB 4X4
    I'd flex-cuff some screen over that opening, you may get some mice/rats/bugs etc trying to make it a home.

5. Apr 4, 2010 at 10:53 AM
    numbah57

numbah57 GIVE THE MALL A BREAK...WHEEL THAT SHIT

Member:
    First Name:
    kahai
    Maui, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma 2.7 Beaten not Babied
    URD ARB G2 PELFREY BAMF LCE AFE
    Did you drive it yet?? How does she sound?

6. Apr 4, 2010 at 3:00 PM
    BradleyScottETC

BradleyScottETC [OP] Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Lake County, FL
    Vehicle:
    10 4.0 AC 4x4
    She sounds about the same, with a little bit more wine around 3k. I drove her in the surf and on the beach with no problems of water intrusion or anything like that. I've been checking the box semi-regularly to make sure nothing is getting in there- so far everything is great!

7. Jun 3, 2010 at 2:50 PM
    flightcancled

flightcancled Addicted

Member:
    Syracuse NY/ Nantucket MA
    Camper top with racks, Custom fogs behind lower bumper. Interior LED lighting, Rock Lights, Hella 500s with upraged bulbs behind black billet grill, AAL, Front 5100s
    Just gave this a try. Here is what I found:

Instantly louder at low rpm. Growl was a good word to describe the sound. Can definately hear air rushing into the intake when reving.

Seemed to have an increase in power, found myself going faster than before on roads I drive everyday without doing anything different.

Also my bolts (there are only two you have to remove) were totally rusted to bits and would not budge which allowed me to discover that you don't acuatlly need a wrench to pull this out. The brackets are acutally open so if you push hard into the truck and then pull down it is actually possible to get it out withoput turning the bolts.

WTF is up with these clips? Mine are all fine, but I have no idea how to get them out of the truck or the liner back in them. They suck!

8. Jun 4, 2010 at 8:42 PM
    jonml

jonml Well-Known Member

Member:
    debadged ,grillcraft grill,blacked out headlights secondary filter removed,k&n filter,made a ram air tube to the airbox using 3 inch diameter flexible tubing ,sony reciever added ,rockford frosgate shallow mount sub added ,infinity component speakers added and powered by external amp,added cheap exhaust tip,added oem foglights,added helwig swaybar,shortened my antenna,dumped exhaust behind rear axel.
    im trying to decide weather or not to do this does it really seem worth the effort

9. Jun 5, 2010 at 3:13 AM
    flightcancled

flightcancled Addicted

Member:
    Camper top with racks, Custom fogs behind lower bumper. Interior LED lighting, Rock Lights, Hella 500s with upraged bulbs behind black billet grill, AAL, Front 5100s
    Pull the resonator out. If you don't like it just shove it back in. I'm really happy with the low end power I am now seeing.

10. Jun 5, 2010 at 6:10 AM
    Rumnhammer

Rumnhammer Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Baltimore MD
    Vehicle:
    2010 Silver Access cab 4wd SR5
    Backup camera switch,charcoal filter removed,front mudflaps trimmed
    FWIW. the first intake resonator is only there to reduce intake noise, like stated before. It has no benifical use other then that. It is a restriction, so you will see improved perfomance by removing it.
    The resonator that is in the intake track that actually tunes the the intake is the large square one over the top of the engine right before the throttle body. This is the one you do not want to remove. It takes the place of the intake plenum that is no longer on the intake manifold, as you will notice that the second gen intake manifold just sits on top of the runners that curl around to make them longer in a smaller space for better low end torque. The second resonator is now the intake plenum, so do remove the first resonator if you don't care about increased sound, but do not remove the second one unless you want your low end torque to go bye bye.
    Chris Rummel

11. Jun 9, 2010 at 1:25 PM
    jonml

jonml Well-Known Member

Member:
    debadged ,grillcraft grill,blacked out headlights secondary filter removed,k&n filter,made a ram air tube to the airbox using 3 inch diameter flexible tubing ,sony reciever added ,rockford frosgate shallow mount sub added ,infinity component speakers added and powered by external amp,added cheap exhaust tip,added oem foglights,added helwig swaybar,shortened my antenna,dumped exhaust behind rear axel.
    I just removed the resonator it was a pain to get out and so far I dont see any increase in performance does the computer have to adjust to the change

12. Jun 9, 2010 at 2:33 PM
    flightcancled

flightcancled Addicted

Member:
    I saw an instant small increase which got better and better over the next ~50 miles of driving.

Edit: I should mention that I have have torn out the secondary filter. If you haven't done that get a flat-head screw driver and tear that thing out.

13. Jun 9, 2010 at 4:15 PM
    jonml

jonml Well-Known Member

Member:
    i did that a while back and put in a k@n filter

14. Jun 9, 2010 at 4:17 PM
    jonml

jonml Well-Known Member

Member:
    I guess I will leave it off and see if it gets any better

15. Jun 9, 2010 at 5:33 PM
    jonml

jonml Well-Known Member

Member:
    when I drove my truck earlier it felt like I may have lost some torque

16. Jun 15, 2010 at 4:45 AM
    flightcancled

flightcancled Addicted

Member:
    I have definately seen an increase in power and torque. Also I have noticed over the last week that my truck has gotten a load throaty growl to it. Previously it was silent, so its a pretty huge difference I still am not used to. Really fun through ;)

17. Jun 27, 2010 at 2:26 PM
    numbah57

numbah57 GIVE THE MALL A BREAK...WHEEL THAT SHIT

Member:
    First Name:
    kahai
    Maui, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma 2.7 Beaten not Babied
    URD ARB G2 PELFREY BAMF LCE AFE
    Just did mine, now for a road test.

Products Discussed in