1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

mpg question..

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by 04prerunner, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Feb 1, 2010 at 2:26 PM
    04prerunner

04prerunner [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    kyle
    tampa, Fl
    Vehicle:
    2004 prerunner
    stock
    I have a 2004 Dcab 2.7L

Does 18.5 - 19 mpg city and about 22 mpg sound about right??

it is the dcab, so it is a little heavier im assuming than an access or reg cab. ide like tro get 21 or more city.

what about an afe filter?? no k&n. Im not to fond of the oil

thanks for your help

2. Feb 3, 2010 at 6:15 AM
    Tacoyota

Tacoyota senile member

Member:
    North of Cali, South of Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 4wd
    4.56 gears, rear trutrac,DT header, 235/85r16 Duratracs, 2nd filter pulled, inter.wipers, Cruise control, Factory alum. whls/winter tires(2nd set), Afe pro Dry-S , Dumbo eared flaps cut down.
    sounds right for stock.
    afe , opinions vary , mine i can feel an hp gain but lost mpg, i might pull it cuz i wanted an mpg gain.

3. Feb 3, 2010 at 1:15 PM
    DGXR

DGXR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Friend
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 2.7L SR5 2-wheel drive
    Yeah that sounds about right. The only benefit to a lifetime air filter is that you will never have to buy another, which is reason enough for me. You might get another horsepower or two at the expense of fuel economy -- I drive like a sissy so I haven't seen any real change. I drive 80% highway and am getting 22.5mpg combined average in my 2006 2.7L 2wd automatic access cab. Check the 'fuel economy' sticky for other simple ways to get better fuel economy (air up tires, use engine braking, synthetic fluids, etc).

4. Feb 24, 2010 at 6:24 AM
    thenrie

thenrie Well-Known Member

Member:
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma, SR5, TRD, 2.7L (LEV), 4wd, 5sp m
    Magnaflow cat and cat-back exhaust, AFE Stage 2 cold-air intake system, 2.5" lift via Skyjacker leaf packs, Bilstein 5100s.
    There are so many threads on this kind of stuff that it is ridiculous. The truth of the matter is that there is no cost-effective way you can increase your gas mileage over stock. You can do all the things DGXR said and get as close to rated mpg as possible, but you have a very unusual case if you can exceed the rated mileage. Most of those who claim they exceed rated mileage are not measuring their mileage correctly or accurately. At the same time, I have read of folks who claim disastrous mileage drops by increasing their tire size. Same thing, they forget their odometers are now reading less miles per tire rotation, so their measurements are off. Use a GPS for your speed and mileage measurements and you will be about as close as you can get outside a laboratory environment.

As for cost effectiveness of mods, say you spend $400 for a new cat-back system (you installed it yourself) you really didn't need, but just wanted to increase your gas mileage. Now let's say you are buying gas at $2.50/gal. So, you are lucky and your gas mileage increases by 2mpg. You were getting 21mpg, so that is about 12 cents per mile (250 cents/21). Now at 23mpg, you are spending 11 cents per mile. So it will make 1 cent per mile difference in your favor in your fuel cost. At $400 it will take you 40,000 miles to break even, provided your mileage hasn't dropped for another reason and provided fuel prices haven't dropped. After that you will start earning about 1 cent/mile. Will the muffler system last that long? Probably. Will you own the truck that long? Maybe.

The kicker is this: I challenge anyone on this forum to show me any single aftermarket add-on that has increased their gas mileage 2mpg over stock configuration - accurately measured mileage, then let's figure the cost savings per mile.

Products Discussed in

To Top