1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2.7 vvti alpine developements supercharger

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by 08pretaco, Feb 19, 2010.

1. Jun 24, 2010 at 5:05 PM
    newengland

newengland small /= slow

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    07 Reg. Cab. 2.7L s/c
    Alpine Supercharger, DT header, Gibson exhaust, URD short-shifter, Hellwig anti-sway bar, backwards helper-leaf traction mod
    Yeah, not off-road friendly unless you custom-build a protective plate over it (which I plan on doing anyway. All it takes is one curb...).

Took her out for a spin. I took Alpine's map and lowered all the timing values by 1 because I am running 93 octane and they tuned on 95. My girlfriend's father (building/racing cars for 30+ years) has been helping me and took a look at it. He said the noise was probably the blower, noises I'm not used to. So I took it out on the road.

Following directions, I'm not to rev the engine past 3k rpms for the first 65 miles. So I drove up and down the street not reving over that. Under 2.5k-ish rpms the truck is running very lean. However, at WOT, once I got past about 2.2k rpm the a/f ratio jumped to 12-13. I could feel the truck LEAP forward when this happened. So will be adding fuel to the low-end tomorrow. I'll post a video once I'm not completely focused on what the engine is doing.

2. Jun 24, 2010 at 9:39 PM
    dually

dually Low and slow

Member:
    Interstate underpass
    Vehicle:
    '16 Inferno SR5 DCLB
    I suggest changing all the hose clamps to a t-bolt style

AFR at idle doesnt matter as long as it wont die.

There needs to be a better transfer into the throttlebody..

3. Jun 24, 2010 at 9:41 PM
    dually

dually Low and slow

Member:
    Interstate underpass
    Vehicle:
    '16 Inferno SR5 DCLB
    I dont even see how the intercooler is going to do much.. its not like it is building heat like a exhaust driven turbo.

Direct pipe to throttle body with meth would be money.

4. Jun 24, 2010 at 9:47 PM
    Labrat23

Labrat23 Member

Member:
    Thanks for the play by play newengland. It really gives me an idea of what I'm in for if I try this myself.

5. Jun 24, 2010 at 9:54 PM
    Labrat23

Labrat23 Member

Member:
    Compressing air by 1psi will raise it's temperature by about 30F. How many pounds of boost does this thing run at?

6. Jun 24, 2010 at 10:00 PM
    dually

dually Low and slow

Member:
    Interstate underpass
    Vehicle:
    '16 Inferno SR5 DCLB
    Thats why you spray meth....

7. Jun 25, 2010 at 2:30 AM
    Rumnhammer

Rumnhammer Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Baltimore MD
    Vehicle:
    2010 Silver Access cab 4wd SR5
    Backup camera switch,charcoal filter removed,front mudflaps trimmed
    Thanks for posting vids! Any aftermarket system you get for vertually any vehicle is going to require some tweeks to get it to fit correctly especially if it was originally designed for a vehicle similar but not quite the same in a different country.
    When I turbocharged my Miata, I still had to tweek it just because of the various options etc that occured on just Miata packages in this country.

Intercoolers are always a welcome addition to forced induction, regardless of the amount of boost. Methenol injection is not a good substitution for proper intercooling, best left for hi po applications and also requires additional tuning. Also if you run out of water/methenol you can destroy the engine if you are on the boost.

Given the various changes per country, I think Alpine should offer just the blower, piggy back , etc separately. After seeing the way the piping is routed, and the extra changes that need be made, I think I would/could do a better job of rerouting that piping.

I think for starters I would try mounting the intercooler higher and perhaps upside down, and route the piping up over or around the radiator, then make a bigger better pipe to go into the throttle body. The supercharger and associated mountings and the piggyback are the important bits here, the piping could all be sourced and fabricated easily. If I were to order one of these kits, I would see if Alpine would consider selling just the above pieces at a reduced price to people who have the abilty to fabricate the rest. As delivered, there is no way I'd have that piping running that low under the truck, no matter if there is a guard in place or not!

Chris Rummel

8. Jun 25, 2010 at 2:33 AM
    schiz94

schiz94 Thread Jacker

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    Bellingham,WA
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Reg Cab
    Morimoto Projector Retrofit, alpine cda-105,Wheelskins leather wheel cover, wet okoles,5% tint on back and 24% on front two windows,Debadged tailgate,custom sockmonkey centercap decals, xr rims pced gloss black.
    you need to get a vid of that thing running so 0-60s haha

9. Jun 25, 2010 at 6:06 AM
    Goatus

Goatus Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dillon
    Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off-Road TX MGM
    Floor Liners, AFe Filter, Leer Cap, Bed Mat, Roof rack, Cap Rack, Rack Rack, Burt Bacharach
    I've never wanted to drop $4000 so bad in my life. At least on something this impractical.

10. Jun 25, 2010 at 7:01 AM
    newengland

newengland small /= slow

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    07 Reg. Cab. 2.7L s/c
    Alpine Supercharger, DT header, Gibson exhaust, URD short-shifter, Hellwig anti-sway bar, backwards helper-leaf traction mod
    Fixed the noise. Supercharger belt was the tiniest bit crooked. No noise now = no knock which is good! Starting to look at the tune.

11. Jun 25, 2010 at 8:12 AM
    newengland

newengland small /= slow

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    07 Reg. Cab. 2.7L s/c
    Semi real-time updates, haha. 8/100 of a milisecond of additional time on the injectors took the a/f ratio from 17-ish to 14.5 at idle. Time to take her out for another drive!

12. Jun 25, 2010 at 8:32 AM
    numbah57

numbah57 GIVE THE MALL A BREAK...WHEEL THAT SHIT

Member:
    First Name:
    kahai
    Maui, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma 2.7 Beaten not Babied
    URD ARB G2 PELFREY BAMF LCE AFE
    Makin me wet

13. Jun 25, 2010 at 10:28 AM
    Who Dat Popcorn

Who Dat Popcorn Dafuq

Member:
    First Name:
    Ricky
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    Sold :/
    SOLD
    Were gonna need some acceleration vids when everything is running right :D

14. Jun 25, 2010 at 12:33 PM
    newengland

newengland small /= slow

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    07 Reg. Cab. 2.7L s/c
    Not perfect, but better than nothing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tune is happier, but it only runs in open loop. If I wipe the diagnostic data, it goes to closed loop and freaks out a bit before switching to open loop. Not that big a deal, except for I hope it doesn't affect the inspection it needs soon. When the afr goes too far out of wack, the computer starts throwing codes. Trying to get a hold of a dyno shop near my house to see if they can finish the tune for me.

15. Jun 25, 2010 at 2:40 PM
    newengland

newengland small /= slow

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    07 Reg. Cab. 2.7L s/c
    Eureka! I at least know where the problem with my a/frs and open/closed loop is coming from. I took out the piggyback and plugged the ecu back in without it. Started up perfectly. So the issue is either with my soldering job or the perfect power unit. This is going to take some time to figure out.

Oh, it was throwing codes p2238 and p2237 (o2 sensor out of range)

16. Jun 25, 2010 at 3:00 PM
    newengland

newengland small /= slow

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    07 Reg. Cab. 2.7L s/c
    Does anyone have a diagram with the ECU pinouts for a 2007 2TR?

17. Jun 25, 2010 at 3:08 PM
    schiz94

schiz94 Thread Jacker

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    Bellingham,WA
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Reg Cab
    Morimoto Projector Retrofit, alpine cda-105,Wheelskins leather wheel cover, wet okoles,5% tint on back and 24% on front two windows,Debadged tailgate,custom sockmonkey centercap decals, xr rims pced gloss black.
    good haha it will have no problems on a lifted truck then haha

18. Jun 25, 2010 at 5:45 PM
    newengland

newengland small /= slow

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    07 Reg. Cab. 2.7L s/c
    smt8. My gut is telling me it's either the TPS signal or the MAF signal, leaning toward the MAF signal. I need the ECU pinout for my truck to ensure that I spliced the correct wire, still trying to find that.

And yes, the engineering is a little sketchy, but such is the way of being the guinea-pig. Doesn't mean I'm going to enjoy it any less!

19. Jun 25, 2010 at 6:56 PM
    newengland

newengland small /= slow

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    07 Reg. Cab. 2.7L s/c
    Well, here's everything I know. Other than power and ground, it has the following hookups.

Tapped (not intercepted): TPS signal

Spliced (intercepted and modified): MAF signal, Crank +, Lambda

Checking the wires yet again, heh.

20. Jun 26, 2010 at 8:43 AM
    newengland

newengland small /= slow

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    07 Reg. Cab. 2.7L s/c
    The problem is the lambda signal. I reattached the lambda wires with the smt8 still installed, and it started up and ran fine. For some reason, it's not sending the lambda signal through the unit.

Products Discussed in

To Top