1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2.7 vvti alpine developements supercharger

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by 08pretaco, Feb 19, 2010.

1. Jul 3, 2010 at 10:24 AM
    Who Dat Popcorn

Who Dat Popcorn Dafuq

Member:
    First Name:
    Ricky
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    Sold :/
    SOLD
    Our 2.7 fishtailing????

LIESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS :rolleyes:

2. Jul 3, 2010 at 11:07 AM
    YotaMan2007

YotaMan2007 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    where my boots and ruck lay
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 2wd
    K&N Drop-in airfilter, secondary airfilter removed, Satoshi Mod, Kenwood Stereo System, Gibson catback system , Painted Steelies, Offroad Lights, Fatbob's spacer lift
    i can drift with the 2.7 on dry pavement. its not easy, but its possible.

3. Jul 3, 2010 at 4:15 PM
    Kelson

Kelson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelson
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 5-Lug Reg. Cab SR5
    SR5 Exterior/Interior (Color matched Front Bumper, Chrome Grille Surround and Chrome Rear Bumper/Silver Scoshe Dash Kit, A/C Bezel, A/C Vent Surround) LED license plate and white interior lights, Wet Okole Seat Covers, iPad in-Dash, JL CL-RLC, JL 13TW5 sub, JL 500/1 Slash V1 amp, JL XR 6.5 Components, Rockford Fosgate 6X9s in Boxes Front XRunner Coils, DJM Control Arms and Rear 4X4 Leafs, Custom 2" Angled Streetacos.com Blocks Front XR Bilstien Struts and Rear XR Bilstien Shocks, CravenSpeen Antennae, RX-8 Rims w/ Fronts:235/40-R18 Sumitomo HTR Rears:245/40-R18 Goodyear Eagle GT, 35% Tint front windows, OEM Sliding Privacy Glass w/ 5% Ceramic Tint, Flowmaster Super 44 dumped before the axle, URD Short Throw Shifter, Door Sill Protectors, Door Edge Guards, OEM Sport Pedals,The Retrofit Source Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III 35W 5K HID Headlights, OEM Fog Lights w/ piss yellow bulbs, OEM Cruise Control, Porsche 944 Bucket Seats, BeefedTaco Skid Plate, Whale
    a good way would be rig something up inside the cab, like a pvc pipe that goes between your headrest and seat using the headrest poles to lock it in. my friend uses this to get some good video and pics from his rabbit...its a pretty good ghetto camera mount. if you don't understand wtf im talking about i can try and get some pics lol

4. Jul 3, 2010 at 6:57 PM
    newengland

newengland small /= slow

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    07 Reg. Cab. 2.7L s/c
    Alpine Supercharger, DT header, Gibson exhaust, URD short-shifter, Hellwig anti-sway bar, backwards helper-leaf traction mod
    Seeing as I put 400 pounds of sand in the bed during the winter and still slide.... yeah.

Interesting idea. I'll work on it and try to get something for you guys tomorrow.

5. Jul 5, 2010 at 9:55 AM
    newengland

newengland small /= slow

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    07 Reg. Cab. 2.7L s/c
    Alpine Supercharger, DT header, Gibson exhaust, URD short-shifter, Hellwig anti-sway bar, backwards helper-leaf traction mod
    Yeah, I've been thinking about synthetic. still have a little bit before I need another oil change.

Ok, all those who have wanted a video, here you go. It's a little on the crappy side because my brother held it sideways and didn't hold it very steady, haha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22x06hniZTQ

6. Jul 5, 2010 at 10:35 AM
    newengland

newengland small /= slow

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    07 Reg. Cab. 2.7L s/c
    It's at 14.7-ish until past 3k rpms, then it goes into open loop and drops into the high twelves. So Open loop it get rich, just not in closed loop under partial throttle.

7. Jul 5, 2010 at 5:18 PM
    YotaMan2007

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 2wd
    K&N Drop-in airfilter, secondary airfilter removed, Satoshi Mod, Kenwood Stereo System, Gibson catback system , Painted Steelies, Offroad Lights, Fatbob's spacer lift
    what i'd like to see is some numbers on a dyno

8. Jul 6, 2010 at 7:38 AM
    newengland

newengland small /= slow

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    07 Reg. Cab. 2.7L s/c
    Getting to that ;). Still waiting for the performance shop in the next town to get back to me about a dyno and tune.

9. Jul 9, 2010 at 3:50 PM
    YotaMan2007

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 2wd
    until then :popcorn:

10. Jul 10, 2010 at 4:35 AM
    newengland

newengland small /= slow

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    07 Reg. Cab. 2.7L s/c
    Heh, sorry. Not trying to drag you guys along. Waiting on the URD AFR Calibrator still. I'll have to call that place again, but I don't want to until i get the AFR unit in.

Truck is still running good and fast; no issues. :cool:

11. Jul 12, 2010 at 2:50 PM
    newengland

newengland small /= slow

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    07 Reg. Cab. 2.7L s/c
    Still waiting on my order from URD. However, at idle (and occasionally when driving at low rpms) the engine will 'stumble'. It's as if for a split second the truck stops supplying fuel to the engine, but only at idle. Any ideas what this could be?

12. Jul 13, 2010 at 2:28 PM
    2.7taco

2.7taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tan Tacoma Base 5 LUG: Beaten , abused and still running strong.
    Fat Bobs 2.75 lift and level with short AAL, 16x8 Level 8 Guardian Wheels, 245/75R16 Toyo Open Country ATII, custom trans shift kit(home made), Trans temp. and Vac gauge, URD fuel pump upgrade(going back to stock soon).
    The in tank sock filter has begun stopping up with dirt and varnish. Also the factory fuel pump can not keep the supply of fuel needed for the added amount of air. So basically your problem is 2 parts one is inadequate fuel to provide the correct fuel air mix. The other is the computer is fighting the current timing settings, spark, fuel and valve train.

Try the fuel problem first. Then tackle the spark issue.

Part of your fuel fix. The other you already ordered.
    http://www.urdusa.com/product_info.php?cPath=79_12&products_id=1260518592

As for your spark the factory gap is excessive for forced induction new gap on the 2.7(2TR-FE) is supposed to be .043" and max limit is .051". Also if you are running the factory Iridium plugs were not engineered for forced induction. Your solution may be as simple as bring the gap down to the minimum or buy a Denso U gap spark plug the only catch is make sure the gap is on the low side. Also you can not gap Iridium plugs because you may damage the electrode. The last thing you could try to fix or alter spark is buy a colder plug, one step down could help.

13. Jul 17, 2010 at 8:48 PM
    newengland

newengland small /= slow

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    07 Reg. Cab. 2.7L s/c
    Hmm, I had been thinking about spark plugs off and on. The AFR calibrator is installed. Gadget wants me to call him before I start messing with it, so I'll do that monday. Side note: I looked at the timing for kicks today. Started off at about 11 degrees of advance at idle, and increased as the rpms went up, up to 35 at mid 4k's. Granted, I was sitting in my driveway, but still, interesting?

14. Jul 19, 2010 at 7:18 AM
    YotaMan2007

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 2wd
    that is very interesting. shouldnt the timing be retarded back? when my buddy and i installed a procharger system in his camaro we had the timing retarded to compensate for the supercharger. i don't know though.

:confused:

15. Jul 19, 2010 at 7:20 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Unless you were under boost, somthing you cant get reving in neutral, its going to advance the timing as if you are NA.

16. Jul 19, 2010 at 12:06 PM
    newengland

newengland small /= slow

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    07 Reg. Cab. 2.7L s/c

:eek: Thanks for the tip. :D I realized that today when I was putting in the AFR calibrator.

Anyway, it's not running stoich when in partial throttle boost anymore, which makes me feel much better. Expecting company the next couple days, so I'll keep tuning it myself the end of the week. Truck isn't stuttering anymore. I think it had to do with the ungodly heat we had when I felt that happening.

I can't tell if it's the placebo effect or not, but it seems to be running 'happier'. We shall see. :cool:

17. Jul 19, 2010 at 3:59 PM
    numbah57

numbah57 GIVE THE MALL A BREAK...WHEEL THAT SHIT

Member:
    First Name:
    kahai
    Maui, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma 2.7 Beaten not Babied
    URD ARB G2 PELFREY BAMF LCE AFE
    Damn this shit sounds way to complicated for me, makes me not wanna s/c my truck.

18. Jul 19, 2010 at 5:13 PM
    numbah57

numbah57 GIVE THE MALL A BREAK...WHEEL THAT SHIT

Member:
    First Name:
    kahai
    Maui, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma 2.7 Beaten not Babied
    URD ARB G2 PELFREY BAMF LCE AFE
    Maui doesn't even have a friggin dyno.

19. Jul 19, 2010 at 7:15 PM
    2.7taco

2.7taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tan Tacoma Base 5 LUG: Beaten , abused and still running strong.
    Fat Bobs 2.75 lift and level with short AAL, 16x8 Level 8 Guardian Wheels, 245/75R16 Toyo Open Country ATII, custom trans shift kit(home made), Trans temp. and Vac gauge, URD fuel pump upgrade(going back to stock soon).
    Basically its telling the computer the mixture is stoichiometric and adds its own air/fuel maps to correct the mixture ratio. It does this in either closed loop or open loop.

20. Jul 20, 2010 at 7:57 AM
    newengland

newengland small /= slow

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    07 Reg. Cab. 2.7L s/c
    For the most part it is working. I mean, now it's learning what it thinks is stoich, so there's a small change. It intercepts the signal between the sensor and ECU, so the ECU is getting, for example, a signal that the AFR is too lean (when it's not) and the ECU tries to add fuel. The ECU is now working for me, not against me. It is trying to hold the afr at what it perceives as stoich, but is being tricked. That's what I'm tackling at the end of the week; zeroing out the fuel trims to the new afr.

@numbah57: You don't NEED a dyno to tune it. If you have a wideband you can do it yourself, like what I will be doing this weekend. And the only reason it's this complicated is because the kit came from a different country >.<. I'm continuing with the project because I already spent the money and time installing it. See what URD's got. I'm sure it will be much easier than this.

Products Discussed in

To Top