1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2.7 vvti alpine developements supercharger

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by 08pretaco, Feb 19, 2010.

1. Nov 3, 2010 at 5:13 PM
    beechmon

beechmon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 cyl 4x4
    Just bought, looking for ideas...
    S/C for 4wd 4 cyl is in the process from Apline. In contact with them 3900 about for the S/C (think this is price with shipping). Should be about 1-2 months out...

2. Feb 19, 2011 at 6:57 PM
    YotaMan2007

YotaMan2007 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    where my boots and ruck lay
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 2wd
    K&N Drop-in airfilter, secondary airfilter removed, Satoshi Mod, Kenwood Stereo System, Gibson catback system , Painted Steelies, Offroad Lights, Fatbob's spacer lift
    hows the S/C treating ya?

3. Feb 23, 2011 at 9:16 PM
    Shemicals

Shemicals Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Concord - East Bay CA
    Vehicle:
    '07 5-Lug Black Sand Pearl Access Cab 2WD
    Build Page
    So my question is does the kit include all the reinforced rods and what not? How much was install. And if it did not include reinforcements how much were they

4. Feb 28, 2011 at 8:46 PM
    bdubbz

bdubbz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Maryland
    any updates on this?

5. Mar 20, 2011 at 9:46 AM
    newengland

newengland small /= slow

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    07 Reg. Cab. 2.7L s/c
    Alpine Supercharger, DT header, Gibson exhaust, URD short-shifter, Hellwig anti-sway bar, backwards helper-leaf traction mod
    Sure. I haven't posted in a while due to grad school and moving. I'll give a summary of how the 2wd kit is treating me.

I'm not sure how many miles I've put on it. 10k, maybe? About 8 months so far, including a road trip from New Hampshire to North Carolina and back.

Cost: including shipping and import fees (comes from South Africa, remember) it was about $4000

Installation:
    I'll give it to Alpine, they did a very good job making preformed pipes, attachment brackets, and all that. However, it was designed for a driver on the right side of the truck. Alpine claimed that the fit would still work, however it took some futzing to get it to fit.

• The power steering lines get in the way of the pipe leading from the intercooler to the throttle body. The pipes can be carefully rotated, however, without removing them.
    • The A/C line is actually easier to deal with on American trucks than theirs, because the hose can be bent out of the way instead of having to extend it.
    • The supports around the radiator are different; you will have to make your own intercooler brackets and cut off one of the tow rings.
    • The software for the tuning unit is buggy, and the unit doesn't mesh with the O2 sensor very well. I'd like to replace it, but don't have the ability to tune a new unit at the moment.
    Pros:
    It's a supercharger, haha. The tires don't break loose at low rpms much, but I think this is a combination of it being a rotary-type supercharger, and come on, it's still a 4 cylinder engine in a truck. It gives the engine a very nice sound, and once you get over about 3k rpms you can feel the truck really start to pull harder. It also makes passing vehicles on the highway in 5th gear much easier.

Cons. The system does have a few quirks. The engine idles a little lower, and the bearing for the supercharger belt tentioner pulley get pretty noisy at idle. Also, either the tune is a little funky at around 2k rpm or it's a quirk of the bypass valve, but at partial load at 2k rpm the engine will sometimes stumble. I can't look into the tune because I no longer have access to a laptop.

Final comments:
    My truck is certainly unique. I get comments on it from every mechanic who looks under the hood. It was a pain to install, I'll admit, but I'm happy I did it. Sometimes when starting at a traffic light people think I want to race because the s/c with the headers and exhaust get LOUD. Would I do it again? Probably, but more likely use URD's if Gadget ever finishes simply because it will be designed for an American vehicle.

Just remember, it's still a 4-cylinder pickup truck. It's certainly faster, but it's no sports car. If you really want to do it, and have the time and tools to get it done, I guarantee there will be no vehicle in your state like it.

6. Mar 20, 2011 at 2:20 PM
    newengland

newengland small /= slow

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    07 Reg. Cab. 2.7L s/c
    Alpine Supercharger, DT header, Gibson exhaust, URD short-shifter, Hellwig anti-sway bar, backwards helper-leaf traction mod

No not really. I gained a mountain of knowledge during this project I hope to use in the future on other projects, but I do with the process was smoother. The only thing that still bothers me, really, is the noisy bearing at idle.

7. Mar 20, 2011 at 5:53 PM
    Who Dat Popcorn

Who Dat Popcorn Dafuq

Member:
    First Name:
    Ricky
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    Sold :/
    SOLD
    Any more vids? :cool:

8. Mar 20, 2011 at 5:57 PM
    schiz94

schiz94 Thread Jacker

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    Bellingham,WA
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Reg Cab
    Morimoto Projector Retrofit, alpine cda-105,Wheelskins leather wheel cover, wet okoles,5% tint on back and 24% on front two windows,Debadged tailgate,custom sockmonkey centercap decals, xr rims pced gloss black.
    dyno? haha

9. Mar 24, 2011 at 12:32 PM
    Shemicals

Shemicals Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Concord - East Bay CA
    Vehicle:
    '07 5-Lug Black Sand Pearl Access Cab 2WD
    Build Page
    How much was your install

10. Mar 24, 2011 at 12:42 PM
    newengland

newengland small /= slow

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    07 Reg. Cab. 2.7L s/c
    Heh, I can try to take another one now that I've put a little more work into it. Maybe this weekend if I figure out how to tie down my camera.

Not as of now. There are no performance shops around me where I live now, and I'd rather get the tune nailed down completely (that one weird spot I mentioned) before I consider dynoing it.

I installed it myself.

11. May 15, 2011 at 4:02 AM
    Murd3rd

Murd3rd I believe I Toyota harder than most

Member:
    Your Mom's House, USA
    Vehicle:
    00.5 Reg Cab Slammed, Turbo'd/19 TRD OR 6MT S/C
    1st gen - it's got a built engine, a turbo, and waaaaaaay too much to list. 3rd gen - basic-bitch lift, S/C, Pro Wheels
    mine does this as well every now and then, never had it completely die though, over here deployed we have a 2tr powered hiace van and it did it the other day but died completely, i just chuckled, and restarted and drove off, the van is a 5-speed manual, and my truck 4-speed auto.....now i regret getting the auto....

i just finished reading this ENTIRE thread, and glad to see the production of the alpine kit, but VERY disappointed in the install to the american version. i mean the two 90's just before the throttle body are rediculous, i would have changed that the very second i saw them...would have never installed that, talk about restriction in the charge pipe...and routing of the piping as well...wouldnt be able to drive an inch before the pipe would be dragging the ground...cant wait for the release of the URD kit, his charge pipes go no where near the ground

but i digress, NE, you have done an excellent job in the "research and development" of this "foreign" install, job well done

12. May 15, 2011 at 4:04 AM
    Murd3rd

Member:
    Your Mom's House, USA
    Vehicle:
    1st gen - it's got a built engine, a turbo, and waaaaaaay too much to list. 3rd gen - basic-bitch lift, S/C, Pro Wheels
    and i already have the URD MAF cal.....but i didnt listen to gadget when he said, "if you plan to EVER go forced induction, get the one with the MAP option" so now i have to upgrade when i order my kit from URD, or maybe it will come with it and i can just sell mine to someone who doesnt need/want the MAP option

13. May 15, 2011 at 1:18 PM
    Murd3rd

Member:
    Your Mom's House, USA
    Vehicle:
    but arent you planning on s/c'ing as well? mine does not have the MAP option

14. May 16, 2011 at 3:16 PM
    Murd3rd

Member:
    Your Mom's House, USA
    Vehicle:
    o, aight, when you see me buying the s/c (and you know you will) then just remind me....cuz ill forget, i know it

15. May 17, 2011 at 1:31 PM
    2.7bluetaco

2.7bluetaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jacob
    middlesex,nc
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 tacoma 2.7
    trd door stickers k&n cold air intake projector head lights 40 series flowmaster exhaust system nitto terra grappelers 265/70/16 billet grille
    me 2. anyone have 1 yet. want to c pics

Products Discussed in

To Top