Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Whining sound in 5th gear!

Old 08-29-2013, 04:49 PM   #21
iroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

iroh's Tacoma Gallery
I saw you commented on my other video and said that sounds like your noise, so I did a short highway jaunt today to record mine going 70+. Unfortunately, all that's going on at those speeds is 5-year-old AT tire noise and a slightly out-of-balance front tire.

http://youtu.be/2pAaQtnFaZs
Old 12-18-2014, 04:38 PM   #22
camojared is a jewel in the roughcamojared is a jewel in the roughcamojared is a jewel in the roughcamojared is a jewel in the rough
Name: Jared
camojared's Tacoma Gallery
This is exactly what my 07 does every day from 55-65mph and only in 5th gear under throttle. Anything ever come of this? Trans and diff fluids changed 10k ago but has always done it.
Old 12-18-2014, 06:38 PM   #23
iroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

iroh's Tacoma Gallery
KWMF sold his truck and bought an automatic to get rid of his whine

I tore the tranny apart on mine and replaced all the bearings exc. the 1-2-3 needle bearings. The bearing under 5th was pretty loose compared to the new one. That was over 2000 miles ago... tranny still whines in 5th, shifter still turns into a Sybian in 5th, so I gave up on it.

Besides I have a new problem to bother myself with. Finally developed the 35 mph vibe that goes away in 4wd. Hooray... thank goodness for ECGS's ingenuity on that one. Oh, and a rear speaker blew itself apart yesterday

Can't decide which is the best way to fix this thing, between Honda and Subaru. I gotta say that new 1.8L AWD HR-V with the CVT is mighty tempting to me every time an issue crops up in this truck, considering how much I loved driving the Fit.
Old 12-20-2014, 08:21 PM   #24
lloyd is on a distinguished road
lloyd's Tacoma Gallery
I had 3 transmissions go out on my 4 Runner, and they made the same noise. On mine, it was the pocket bearing in the middle of the input shaft. In 4th, the shaft rotates as a whole and the bearing is stationary. In all other gears it is rotating. You usually only notice it in 5th.

On the 4 Runner transmission, you could get the bearings cheaper from a bearing supply house.
Old 12-21-2014, 07:45 AM   #25

iroh's Tacoma Gallery
I changed that bearing too. Given the monstrous size of some of the other bearings in there, it was surprising to see how puny that one was in comparison.

Couldn't feel any unusual slop in the old bearing though, unlike the 5th gear bearing, which was defknitely bad.