Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Whining sound in 5th gear!

Old 02-27-2010, 11:34 AM   #1
BIGFOOT is on a distinguished road
Name: Scott
BIGFOOT's Tacoma Gallery
Whining sound in 5th gear!

My 05 tacoma 4x4 is making a whining noise in 5th gear. It doesn't do it in any other gear, and will stop when i lift my foot off the acclerator or clutch it. it isn't as noticeable at speeds above 60 as it is around 50 to 55 . it sounds like feedback in the radio almost but thats not what it is. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:51 AM   #2
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Is it coming from the transmisison or the rear end (or somewhere else entirely)? When was the last time the oil was changed in either?

Mine whined a lot when I reversed up my driveway (granted, slow speed), and sort of lunged on the steepest part (RrRrRrRr). After I changed both tranny and rear diff oil, it is much better (both sound and not lunging now). Technically, I can't tell you which made the improvement because I did them both at the same time. My gut feeling is the diff.

In your case, the higher speeds likely indicate the diff, too.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:59 AM   #3
BIGFOOT's Tacoma Gallery
The fluids have been changed not long ago. The sound seems to be coming from under the hood to me. It doesn't do it in any other gear at all. Seems strange that it will stop immediately if you just back off the accelarator just alittle, and 5th is the only gear it does it in. It will even stop the faster you go.
Old 02-27-2010, 12:36 PM   #4
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Ah, yeesh, then you need to get your best friend (or enemy) to ride along under your open hood on the freeway to figure out what it is.

That can be a tough one, especially the 5th-gear-only factor. First gut feeling would be pullies, pumps and belts, potentially.

Or, hmm, maybe, the fan clutch? But that should only be operating at lower speeds and high temps.

Man, that 5th gear thing is a curve ball.

I can't say from personal experience, but all these come to mind as first trouble-shooting points...

Oh, um, I know you are saying under the hood, but could be from the clutch...throwout bearing (?). I would search for clutch whine threads, too.

And I have a 1st gen v6, and you have a send gen with what engine? Might need other folks with a more similar truck to chime in...

Good luck, man. I hope someone can nail it for you.
Old 02-27-2010, 12:37 PM   #5
Trigger has much to be proud ofTrigger has much to be proud ofTrigger has much to be proud ofTrigger has much to be proud ofTrigger has much to be proud ofTrigger has much to be proud ofTrigger has much to be proud ofTrigger has much to be proud of
Trigger's Tacoma Gallery
It's the hidden super charger you didnt know you had.
Old 02-28-2010, 05:25 AM   #6
camshaftprelube is on a distinguished road
camshaftprelube's Tacoma Gallery
My 97 tacoma does the exact same thing. No noise whatsoever in any gear until fifth. It's getting worse. I'm convinced it's a bearing in the transmission. Anyone ever have one of these apart?
Old 02-28-2010, 11:39 AM   #7
BIGFOOT's Tacoma Gallery
Yea, it just does it in 5th gear, and it seems that if it were something like a bearing or something internal it would not stop when i simply picked my foot up off the accelerator. Mine sounds like it is coming from the engine or somewhere in the left side firewall or dash area. By the way my taco is a 05 4x4 with a 4 cyl.
Old 02-28-2010, 04:45 PM   #8
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
My 05 5 lug makes a similar sound when in 5th gear. I haven't paid attention to the speed at which it does it. I'm not sure where the sound is coming from, but it's not from the rear end. Either the engine or tranny area. BTW, I just hit 90k and it's probably been doing it since I bought it at around 72k. Figured it would be hard to track down and it might not even be a "problem"
Old 02-28-2010, 07:04 PM   #9
Well, mine is close to needing a clutch (206k on the original one), and when the trans comes out for that, I'm gonna take it apart and put fresh bearings in it. Just wondering if anyone else has put their finger on it.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:41 AM   #10
supralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dan
supralight's Tacoma Gallery
Mine did a weird sound like this, only noticeable on fifth gear before I had to change my release bearing. Go under your truck in idle, and play with the bearing fork to see if any sound could be coming from there. Chances are thin since that whem you let off the gas it stops, but it's worth checking.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:47 AM   #11
Well, I talked to a veteran Toyota mechanic. He blames either input shaft bearing, or the bearing on the end of the mainshaft.

When the truck is in fourth gear, power goes straight through the input shaft and through the mainshaft without any side-loading on the gears. When power goes through any of the other gears, it goes through the countershaft, which creates a sideways pressure on the gears and the bearings. Therefore, it's actually whining in all gears except fourth, except the mainshaft isn't turning fast enough in the lower gears to actually hear it.

In any case, when i get some extra cash together, I'm gonna drop the tranny, replace the clutch, and rebuild the transmission. No special tools needed aside from some rather long pullers.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:11 PM   #12
Cappy Cap will become famous soon enough
Cappy Cap's Tacoma Gallery
i have a 5 lug, when i switched rearends to the 3.73 the whining you say came about. if you listen closely you will hear it faintly in 4th at like 40 mph. Anyways i think it could be your rear end, there isnt anything wrong with it just makes the noise. Tacoma has a TSB where they will put a sound damping pad behind the seat. I am just going to dynomat it in the summer, anyways that could be what it is. If it is there's nothing wrong with it just an annoyance. check the tsb, dont quote me on this for i dont drive your car but i have a similar noise.... damn toyota lol
Old 03-22-2010, 01:37 PM   #13
cworley5150 is on a distinguished road
cworley5150's Tacoma Gallery
My new 2010 4x4 regular cab (600 miles so far) with the 5-speed makes the same sound in 5th gear. It seems to only do it when you are maintaining a cruising speed or slightly slowing down. Stops when you completely take your foot off the gas or when you are accelerating. Again, only does it in 5th gear as far as I can tell. I assumed it was one of those "they all do that" things and haven't been concerned about it. Should I be?
Old 08-01-2013, 10:23 AM   #14
B.S. Goodwrench
KWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zack
KWMF's Tacoma Gallery
I want to resurrect this thread as I have discovered in my 2012 MT RC that I have what I believe is this sound,

I have had to travel to TN from NC for work a few days in the past weeks and while cruising on the free way between 70-80, it's the loudest for me at @76ish and you let off the gas but not close the throttle the whine sounds like feedback or something through the speakers, when I first heard it I turned off my radio as I thought it was something from the speakers.

It is absolutely the most annoying and irritating sound also,

My truck has @21K miles on it,

I am going to try and test drive it with a technician in the coming weeks or two and see if it's something they can take care of,

It is only in 5th gear also, I have tried with and without AC on or off, let it coast down from speed and nothing. So thankfully I know it's in 5th gear only.

Has anyone heard or seen a hint of a TSB from Toyota about this?

Old 08-08-2013, 07:56 AM   #15
B.S. Goodwrench
KWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KWMF's Tacoma Gallery
FWIW

I dropped off my Tacoma this morning after riding with a technician and he heard it right away,

He informed me they don't really take apart the manual transmissions anymore, if it needs one they replace it as a whole unit,

I got a ride home as they had to put in a request through some Toyota tech-Line I think,

But either way I am very thankful he heard the noise, he was younger with better ears and swore he could hear it in 4th also, but as the rpms were up and sound is masked, he also commented it may be from the rear diff, he says they had TSBs on that, but after a while waiting and him taking the time to have a listen with a chassis ear on a lift, it's coming from the transmission.

I'll update this thread with what happens and what the solution is,

Old 08-08-2013, 08:35 AM   #16
gearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: training officer
Name: TW certified internet mechanic
gearcruncher's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by camshaftprelube View Post
Well, I talked to a veteran Toyota mechanic. He blames either input shaft bearing, or the bearing on the end of the mainshaft.

When the truck is in fourth gear, power goes straight through the input shaft and through the mainshaft without any side-loading on the gears. When power goes through any of the other gears, it goes through the countershaft, which creates a sideways pressure on the gears and the bearings. Therefore, it's actually whining in all gears except fourth, except the mainshaft isn't turning fast enough in the lower gears to actually hear it.

In any case, when i get some extra cash together, I'm gonna drop the tranny, replace the clutch, and rebuild the transmission. No special tools needed aside from some rather long pullers.
This and the fact that they still use Toyo bearings . do not put Toyo bearings back in . Go with National
Old 08-08-2013, 09:53 AM   #17
B.S. Goodwrench

KWMF's Tacoma Gallery
I am thankful I have my warranty, my 2012 only has @22K on it,

I told him when I worked for Honda/Acura we would tear apart a manual transmission mostly because we knew if we had bent shift forks we could deny the warranty claim, lol...

But he said they don't really take them apart, he said if it needs it they just order a replacement. I said that's cool.

I just want it to be right and quiet like it was before, who knows maybe a trans fluid/ gear oil change would help, lol...

Old 08-08-2013, 12:39 PM   #18
B.S. Goodwrench

KWMF's Tacoma Gallery
So Toyota Tech is telling them until they can drive a like model and say it's not normal no action is being taken,

This after a technician told me it isn't normal,

I feel like a month or two is going to go buy and I am going to be left out to dry,

What would you guys do? Recommend?

They had a 2011 on the lot and I guess they weren't allowed to test drive a used truck,

I test drove it and the noise wasn't there.

Guess I'll just chill and wait and see,
Old 08-28-2013, 08:28 AM   #19
B.S. Goodwrench

KWMF's Tacoma Gallery
Going to keep this here in the 5th gear noise thread,

My noise is exactly like the one listed by cworley5150,

Toyota has said this is completely normal for this make and model,
why am I having a problem believing this? I mean in some ways I am thankful nothing is going to get torn apart, as with my 23,000 miles the shifting has smoothed out some and I love the feeling it's getting broken in, on the other hand I am sad if the noise is that present and it over powers a conversation in the truck, you have to hear it every single day you drive to work, which is 5-6 days a week. It becomes a sore spot.

This should only be in the manual transmission models right?

The auto should not do this, right?

I am now wondering if I have my own personal reasons to trade out and get an auto trans.

I am hoping my recent purchase of TRD Tundra wheels and soon new rubber will drown it out, lol...
Old 08-28-2013, 05:56 PM   #20
iroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

iroh's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, the auto would be quieter, which is why I will probably go that route with my next vehicle.

Normal? Ha! Maybe for my truck and its 130k miles. Yours is barely out of diapers. Whenever Toyota says "normal for this vehicle" anymore I cringe because given everything they claim is "normal" why would I want to buy another vehicle from them?

If your whine is from the same cause as mine, there are speed zones where the transmission is silent. Try finding one you like, keeping in mind that the speedometer isn't right anyways. For example, I can set the cruise at 61 going to work, but since that's really 57, I won't get a ticket and can still enjoy the quiet ride.