Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

2.7 liter towing capacity

Old 03-25-2010, 10:47 PM   #21
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hedlesbrmstkbass View Post
umm no

we only put around 120 hp down to the wheels 159 is flywheel hp...look at some dyno charts. (i think this is for the auto tho, the standard should have a bit more power at the wheels)

Contact our Tech Support Line for further information at 928-855-6341.

Check out www.LCEngineering.com for New Products, Tech Articles,
Specials & Monthly Newsletters!

Note: Images are for illustration purposes only. Images MAY NOT represent the product listed. Please contact Customer Service with any questions or concerns: 928-505-2501.

PURCHASED BY OTHERS

Exhaust System - 2.7(4cyl) & 4.0(V6) Tacoma(05-08)
Exhaust Gasket - 2TR(2.7L 4cyl)(05-10) Tacoma
Pro Flow Exhaust System - 2TR Tacoma (05-10)
LCE Full Color Catalog
K&N 77 Series/FIPK - Tacoma (05-10) 2.7L

so my truck can pull just as much as a v6 rav4? thats fine with me.

and besides towing capacity has alot to do with chassis, suspension and weight of the vehicle as well. 3500 lbs is quite a bit for a 3400 lbs truck.

no to be an asshole or anything...they stole that dyno from doug thorley because iv had that dyno saved on my desktop for the past forever....thats the stock dyno for a 2.7 with nothing to do with lce engineering. i highly doubt that lce got the exact same number as lce. i know dynos stock are dynos stocks, but its not aways the case.

yes manuals will have more power than auto because the manual transmission is less "complex" with fewer lower losing parts.

yes this is the baseline for the 2.7 (2tr) motor
Old 03-26-2010, 12:24 AM   #22
My Truck is Cuter than Yours
Kelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelson
Kelson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08pretaco View Post
no to be an asshole or anything...they stole that dyno from doug thorley because iv had that dyno saved on my desktop for the past forever....thats the stock dyno for a 2.7 with nothing to do with lce engineering. i highly doubt that lce got the exact same number as lce. i know dynos stock are dynos stocks, but its not aways the case.

yes manuals will have more power than auto because the manual transmission is less "complex" with fewer lower losing parts.

yes this is the baseline for the 2.7 (2tr) motor
true sorry i was just trying to demonstrate the difference between flywheel hp and wheel hp. thats all yah dynos differ and all but idk, they could have the same dyno type. u never know. lol or your right and theyre just lazy and copied
Old 03-26-2010, 07:40 AM   #24
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hedlesbrmstkbass View Post
true sorry i was just trying to demonstrate the difference between flywheel hp and wheel hp. thats all yah dynos differ and all but idk, they could have the same dyno type. u never know. lol or your right and theyre just lazy and copied

no worries man. had a few drinks last night and felt like arguing hahah but yes that dyno is out our 2tr with an auto tranny. the manual will give you slightly larger output numbers.

and as they might have the same dyno and blah blah i highly doubt all the high and low points would match up exactly perfect
Old 03-26-2010, 02:12 PM   #25
Barnone
Barnone's Tacoma Gallery
Of course the other issue is stopping the load.
Old 03-28-2010, 02:51 PM   #26
JDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
JDCPA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by finnigan View Post
Maybe this will help too to put in perspective too. A detroit 60 series diesel is a 4 cylinder engine, you find these in a tractor trailer. And the porsche 911.
The 60 series Detroit refers to the size of the individual cykinder in cubic inches. In comes in various configuration. Most of the ones in a semi-tractor are V8s.

The Porche 911 has a six cylinder engine. The 4 cylinder counterpart was the 912 which hasn't been around for about 30 years.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:24 AM   #27
senile member
Tacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Ex Navy. subs
Tacoyota's Tacoma Gallery
Everything matters in some way to tow capacity, concerning the mechanics. It's going to be limited by the weakest aspect, and i dont think the truck is week either.
Simply , it would tow more if it had the v-6, but then the wheelbase and weight transer limit its capacity. I dont know for sure , but i'm assuming the brakes and axle are as strong as the v-6s ,x-fer case too.
I think the 4 cyl engine is some sort of marvel , i dont expect it to get up a certain hill in 5th gear ,but it does. So far I'm getting my money's worth.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:06 PM   #28
4Barrel is on a distinguished road
4Barrel's Tacoma Gallery
does the 2.4 have similar towing performance as the 2.7? i have a 2WD 2.4 and want to tow about 2,500#...
Old 03-30-2010, 06:04 AM   #29
senile member
Tacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Ex Navy. subs
Tacoyota's Tacoma Gallery
My guess is your 2.4L is around 2500 lb capacity, check the owners manual and other owners though.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:06 AM   #30
Ry1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRy1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRy1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRy1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRy1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRy1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRy1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRy1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRy1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRy1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRy1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Machinery Technician
Ry1984's Tacoma Gallery
i can expect these same towing results with my 2001 2.7 correct?
Old 03-30-2010, 12:46 PM   #31
Barnone
Barnone's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoyota View Post
My guess is your 2.4L is around 2500 lb capacity, check the owners manual and other owners though.
My 2.4l is rated at 3500lbs according to the manual.
Old 04-10-2010, 01:32 PM   #32
95TacoSX is on a distinguished road

95TacoSX's Tacoma Gallery
Is the 3,500lbs towing capacity the numbers for 4x4 or is it less?
Old 02-09-2011, 05:30 PM   #33
frog13 is on a distinguished road
frog13's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgjones View Post
Why can these small trucks tow so much? Is it because of the "straight" four cylinder engine design? I have a standard reg cab taco with the 2.7 and I pull a pretty large boat with it (3000 pounds) and it handles it pretty well, i was suprised.

People always forget about how a machine is geared...alot of it has to do with the gearing!.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:58 PM   #34
Turp has much to be proud ofTurp has much to be proud ofTurp has much to be proud ofTurp has much to be proud ofTurp has much to be proud ofTurp has much to be proud ofTurp has much to be proud ofTurp has much to be proud of
Firefighter: Operations: Fire, Technical Rescue, EMS
Turp's Tacoma Gallery
3500lbs is about 1500lbs more than I need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uood8 View Post
3500 lbs is the same as the Rav-4 w/towing pkg capacity....doesn't sound so great anymore does it.
Ouch......Greetings from the north (Danville). My Tacoma came from Rices
Old 02-09-2011, 08:23 PM   #35
If You Search...You Shall Find.
uood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Uniform / Marked Patrol
uood8's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turp View Post
Greetings from the north (Danville). My Tacoma came from Rices
Mine too...you work at station 1?
Old 02-10-2011, 04:44 AM   #36
HomeGrown is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomeGrown is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomeGrown is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomeGrown is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomeGrown is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomeGrown is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomeGrown is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomeGrown is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomeGrown is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomeGrown is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomeGrown is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bill
HomeGrown's Tacoma Gallery
OEM tow rating capacity is all about the vehicle size, weight, and spring capacity, not so much the engine size.

BTW: I can highly recommend U-haul for a hitch for the Taco. Had one on my '09, and it was very high quality. Looked like a relabeled Valley hitch. Installation was simple and clean. IIRC, it was $135.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:40 PM   #37
HomeGrown is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomeGrown is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomeGrown is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomeGrown is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomeGrown is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomeGrown is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomeGrown is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomeGrown is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomeGrown is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomeGrown is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomeGrown is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bill
HomeGrown's Tacoma Gallery
Dhk! Great post, I fully agree. I'm driving a '93 S10 while waiting for my Taco to come in next month. I pulled a fully loaded U-haul 6x12 trailer about 250 miles. My s-dime has a V6 automatic, my previous '09 Taco was a 4 cyl. Although the S10 has more power than the Taco did, pulling the same trailer (fully loaded) the Tacoma felt much more capable and safe with the trailer than the S10 did.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:07 AM   #38
Turp has much to be proud ofTurp has much to be proud ofTurp has much to be proud ofTurp has much to be proud ofTurp has much to be proud ofTurp has much to be proud ofTurp has much to be proud ofTurp has much to be proud of
Turp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Mine too...
They seem to be a decent dealer.

Quote:
you work at station 1?
No, Station 5. Though I did work at Sta 1 most of my career.

I visit Greensboro quite a bit.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:23 AM   #39
Tasthree is on a distinguished road
Tasthree's Tacoma Gallery
Also keep in mind that a longer wheel base will make towing more stable. When I was figuring out which truck to buy to tow our fifth wheel years ago the RV industry had a standard for vehicle wheel base to trailer length and weight ratio. A 4x4 will reduce the towed weight capacity a little also. I went to rent a u-haul car hauler one time. I entered our truck as 4x4 with the towed vehicle and they wouldn't rent it to me. Entered our truck as 2x4 and was good to go. Don't know why. Weight of T-case,front end and xtra friction???
Old 02-11-2011, 08:45 AM   #40
Turp's Tacoma Gallery
The connection point and vehicle weight distribution of Tractors and 5th wheels are very different than standard automobiles.

Wheel base is a factor and 5th wheels and tractors place the "tongue" load forward of the rear axle which distributes the weight on the frame and axles better. The sportscar with a rearward positioned hitch didn't click with me and I agree with your point that a longer trailer handles well even though the car has a short wheelbase. My point is that load weights, load position, and contact points (wheelbase) are significant factors in towing and have a relationship with one another in the towing package. Been there and got some stupid stories I hope I don't repeat. Thankfully little or no damage occurred.

Just my 2cents of trailer experience.