1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2.7 liter towing capacity

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by dgjones, Mar 13, 2010.

1. Feb 11, 2011 at 7:48 PM
    Turp

Turp Well-Known Member

Member:
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    02 PreRunner SR5
    K&N panel/ snorkel removed Keyless
    Previous quote and comments edited....

Admittedly I could have been clearer regarding my counter argument.

2. Feb 13, 2011 at 7:25 AM
    uood8

uood8 If You Search...You Shall Find.

Member:
    Greensboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    '16 Sr5 4x4 DCSB
    Pretty much stock
    There is alot of nonsense in this thread, like thinking a motor that makes 157lbs (@3200rpm) of torque can reasonably and reliably tow 7000lbs. You would have to slip the clutch so bad to actually get it moving that you would be without a clutch in 200 miles, IF you got it moving.

Comparing the 2.7 to a s-10 4.3 is crazy, that motor makes 240lbs of torque....making it comparable to the 4.0 motor.

As for how I know this, on occasion (when i don't want to get the tractor) move a john deere 568 round bailer, which has a dry weight of 4700 lbs. It takes EVERYTHING my truck has to get it going. There is no way in hell I would get on the road or highway for that matter with that much weight behind this truck it just simply does not have the power.

Now, could I hook up 7000lbs and tow it across my yard...maybe in 4L, but just because it can handle it for 100 ft doesn't mean it could for 4000 miles at 55mph, when towing capacities are rated it is for what the vehicle can handle safely over an extended period of time/distance for the life of the vehicle.

3. Feb 14, 2011 at 6:33 AM
    Tacoyota

Tacoyota senile member

Member:
    North of Cali, South of Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 4wd
    4.56 gears, rear trutrac,DT header, 235/85r16 Duratracs, 2nd filter pulled, inter.wipers, Cruise control, Factory alum. whls/winter tires(2nd set), Afe pro Dry-S , Dumbo eared flaps cut down.
    post #37(too lazy to quote and edit) , is good , but i take exception to your part about adding a dist. hitch and thinking you can reasonably tow 6500lb. I really have to say thats wrong. The 4.0l and the corresponding transmission allow for that. Go up a 6% grade at the posted or safe speed in the 2.7 and i doubt itll do the speed.
    As far as 4x4 being less capable than a 2wd for towing, well sorta , but notin a meaningfull way, it only comes down to being slightly lighter , but also a bit lower...which is betters

post 41 concerning the shortness of the tractor to the trailer...... has nothing to do with the shortness of our truck to a trailer what so ever . Simply , those tractors are designed all the way through to tow all day long, they axle and tire according to bridge laws to allow maximum towing.my(our) tacoma is not. Go through a crosswind with a 6500lb trailer on a reg cab and youll see how to flip a taco w/o a spatula or offroading( cross section and wind load).

4. Feb 14, 2011 at 8:04 AM
    uood8

Member:
    Greensboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    '16 Sr5 4x4 DCSB
    Pretty much stock
    Umm...Ok? Yes when you slip the clutch you would raise the rpm's, however to keep the rpm's up you cannot just engage the clutch as normal.

Thats funny, magnaflow's dyno chart of their s-10 4.3 test vehicle shows a baseline of 220lbs/3200rpm.

I find this helarious, and furthermore showing that you have no idea what you are talking about.

Since you have an s-10 and not a tacoma how about you wait until you actually have a 2.7 tacoma and do some towing with it before you give advice to people on a forum about its towing capacity. Some people actually believe what they read on this site and it is ill advice for you to state that the 2.7 is adequate for towing 7k lbs.

If toyota believed that the 2.7 could reasonably tow 7k lbs don't you believe they would market the hell out of that...think about it a 23mpg 4-cyl that has the towing capacity of a v8!!!!! And you would say it would hurt the sales of the v6, there is less than a 1500 dollar price difference between 4-cyl 4x4 and a v6 4x4 accesscab's so they would not be missing out on much, especially with the increased sales of the 4-cyl.

Sincerely - 2.7 Tacoma owner with many miles of towing experience.

5. Feb 14, 2011 at 8:53 AM
    borderbrat

borderbrat Watching Chris4x4 o.O

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Victoria BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB, STOCK..But not for long
    (old truck 2008 AC ....PIAA fogs, led "puddle" lights, bed lights, in cab 115V, Toyota Devil emblem, Randy Ellis light bar with LED light bar, OME 885 and Dakar leaf springs OME shock all round, 2.5 Gal OBA system with air horns, iPod adapter, scangauge on blend mount, magnaflow catback, bike fork mounts, tinted 2009 tails.)
    torque is not generally found using a formula it is usually a measured value. Power in the otherhand is found using a formula
    P=τ*ω
    power=tau(torque) X angular velocity (rpm)
    if you knew power and wanted to know torque its easy to rearange.

You are correct about gear ratio though. 1st has a final ratio of 3.95:1 so at 180 lbs ft not accounting for losses you have 711lbs ft at the rear axels. mind you your 159 hp has been reduce to 40HP because all HP is, is the ability to apply force over distance In simple terms you can't go fast in 1st.

6. Feb 14, 2011 at 2:56 PM
    Tacoyota

Tacoyota senile member

Member:
    North of Cali, South of Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 4wd
    4.56 gears, rear trutrac,DT header, 235/85r16 Duratracs, 2nd filter pulled, inter.wipers, Cruise control, Factory alum. whls/winter tires(2nd set), Afe pro Dry-S , Dumbo eared flaps cut down.
    50 hp will tow 10,000 lb an more, with the right gear ratio, those ooold farm tractors dont have a lot of hp, just a lot of gears. None of this has to do with the tacoma though.

Consider this about "loyal" and diehard people who love their trucks (ANY brand) . Why do they try to find a way to demonstrate their fave rig can actually do more .... and their truck did it easy.......blah blah blah....... and it towed a 1 ton blankety blank from a ditch , etc. toyota couldve said screw it 2000lb , i think they played it honest , figured it will do 3500 and they can expect reliability.
    Dont do 7k with the 2.7on the road , i will call you a family killer/ baby slaughterer for the truck-tard idiocy of it. Tow 8k flat across an acre at 5mph or so, if the fat guy can pull a 747 with his back,then dont worry and you dont need to boast to us about it.

Its not what we know that makes us smart, its what we didnt or dont know that might make us stupid.

7. Feb 14, 2011 at 4:02 PM
    achirdo

achirdo I Weld!

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    North DFW
    Vehicle:
    06 dodge ram 3500 5.9 cummins
    does this mean i can resonably tow 14k with my v6?
    double the engine power double the capacity right?

so basically with your logic my truck has the same kind of rating near diesel power cuz the f250 is rated at 11200lbs.

your full of crap, there is no way in hell you can safley get a 4 banger (in our trucks) to tow that much.

im gonna laugh at your ass when your stuck at the bottom of a hill

8. Feb 14, 2011 at 7:34 PM
    uood8

Member:
    Greensboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    '16 Sr5 4x4 DCSB
    Pretty much stock
    You should bow out gracefully at this point, with this statement i want to learn nothing from you.

You show me a dyno that measures crankshaft hp/torque and i'll show you a real live breathing dinosaur.

9. Feb 14, 2011 at 7:43 PM
    uood8

Member:
    Greensboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    '16 Sr5 4x4 DCSB
    Pretty much stock
    Its not that low, please drive/tow with one before commenting.

Consistantly towing at 6k rpms is NOT ok and drastically reducing the life of your motor. Way to go.

No one ever stated that this truck could not stop a load properly, must be your imagination running wild. I simply stated that without enough power to adequately get your load moving would be unsafe and very annoying to everyone else on the road

True, however with the extra market share they could get from v8 owners could result in easily 20k more tacomas sold per year, lets say they make a net profit of 8k per truck that would be a profit of 160 million for the company....who care about a measley 15 million dollars?

10. Feb 15, 2011 at 5:57 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    You dont seem to know much about towing. TWR is determind by the ability of the vehicle to get the load moving, control the extra weight of the trailor, frame strength, suspensions ability to dampen, Axel strength, Tranny strength, and support the extra weight, and stop it. You are not an engineer, and telling people that you can tow more than the vehicle is rated for is beyond fucking stupid.

Dirty Harry likes this.
  11. Feb 15, 2011 at 6:09 AM
    uood8

Member:
    Greensboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    '16 Sr5 4x4 DCSB
    Pretty much stock
    x2

12. Feb 15, 2011 at 6:20 AM
    uood8

Member:
    Greensboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    '16 Sr5 4x4 DCSB
    Pretty much stock
    Amazing since you do not own a tacoma.

Not for extended periods of time, it increases wear and tear therefore reducing engine life.
    None, I'm not the idiot trying to tow 7k lbs with an inadequate vehicle. Ask yourself this question, you stated that towing at 6k rpm's was ok.

Nope try again.

see above

Well i see you've been on the forum for less than a month and have under 100 posts, most which are in this thread. If you would notice by reading threads that the people that tow heavy loads on a regular basis sell their tacoma and go with a full size truck because even the 4.0 is not an ideal tow rig.

Now your quoting tacoma crankshaft numbers, which i have NEVER mentioned.

I stated a dyno chart concerning the s-10, which you proceeded to tell me was crankshaft numbers. There is NO WAY a dyno can give you crankshaft power/torque....it is IMPOSSIBLE.

This does not even make sense. Its not even worth my time to comment.

13. Feb 15, 2011 at 8:19 AM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    So....You dont think an extra load on teh tranny is going to hurt it?? And IF your an engineer, Your not a very good one. You should already know this stuff. Granted, there may be a little bit of room for error, as far as the max. TWR, as it would be stupid to design an tow vehicle to operate at its limits. However, suggesting that its perfectly fine to tow whatever one wants, going above and beyond the TWR, is ridiculous. Not only that, But if the operator is oulling a trailor that weighs more thean the vehicles TWR, and gets in an accident, the liability could be overwhelming.

14. Feb 15, 2011 at 8:28 AM
    uood8

Member:
    Greensboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    '16 Sr5 4x4 DCSB
    Pretty much stock
    The transmissions are not the same, this would be the weakest link in the 4-cyl.

15. Feb 15, 2011 at 8:30 AM
    uood8

Member:
    Greensboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    '16 Sr5 4x4 DCSB
    Pretty much stock
    Lawsuit Heaven.

BTW chris i fixed your typos :p

16. Feb 15, 2011 at 8:37 AM
    achirdo

achirdo I Weld!

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    North DFW
    Vehicle:
    06 dodge ram 3500 5.9 cummins
    If your gonna start correcting his spelling your gonna be here a while.

And let this guy think he can tow 7k with the 4 banger. He will have fun paying for his tranny

17. Feb 15, 2011 at 8:39 AM
    TacoDaTugBoat

TacoDaTugBoat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Goshen, Ct
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB TRD Sport
    Of course it can handle more than the rating, because all engineers, you and me included, operate using a factor of safety. This is used to compinsate* for assumptions made and the fact that empirical formulas derived for the design are close approximations of actual forces incurred in the material.
    You are suggesting that it is a good idea to reduce that factor of safety. This is not a great idea.
    Now I do understand that assuming that the brakes and frame and all other aspects except the motor are the same than you should be able to stop and manauver the load safely.
    Now, the 6,500# for the V6 is also based on having the stock weight distrubuting hitch reciever. Most do not install these on the 4 banger as they do not need them. Also required to tow the 6,500# is a brake controller also not commonly installed on the 4banger.
    So, if you go ahead and get the weight dist. hitch and brake controller than your frame and brakes should be able to handle the load.
    However, having towed some pretty heavy loads with my 4 banger, I would not want to even try to tow such a heavy load, and I would definatly not let the RPM's slip over the red line, and would not even consideer holding them close to the red line.
    Just my 2 cents. :crapstorm:

18. Feb 15, 2011 at 8:58 AM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    Different tow capacities because of extra coolers (Tranny and oil), alternator (Yes, a trailor creates an additional electrical load on the tow vehicle). You keep saying that the "Engine creates the load" on the tranny, and while that is partially true, load on the engine is also determind by how much weight it is pulling. A little example, when not towing, my bank 1&2 front cats are opperating at about 1440*. Under WOT, they get to about 1552*. Going up a hill (6%) they get to the same temps. When towing my boat (3000#), they NEVER get below 1500*, even under partial throttle. when getting on the freeway, at 60% throttle, the temps get to 1650*. The same 60% throttle unloaded gets them to 1480*. More work on the tranny is going to also creat more heat, so that heat needs to be removed, otherwise longevity of the tranny is compromised. SO, it needs another external cooler. I could go on, but Im growing board. You need to look more into the dynamics of towing, and the stress, loads, etc., imparted on a vehicle.

19. Feb 15, 2011 at 9:14 AM
    uood8

Member:
    Greensboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    '16 Sr5 4x4 DCSB
    Pretty much stock
    It is adequate for this engine, and the assumption that you will not be towing over the stated towing capacity. Toyota engineers did not design the 2.7 motor/transmission/rearend to get an extra 7000lbs moving.

You do know what happens when you assume?

I have personally put 4700 lbs behind my truck, and I am telling you that the power is not there. We can blame it on the motor, transmission, rearend or whatever till your little heart is content. I assure you that i am a competent driver, and have been driving and towing with manual transmission vehicles for many many many years.

20. Feb 15, 2011 at 9:36 AM
    borderbrat

borderbrat Watching Chris4x4 o.O

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Victoria BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB, STOCK..But not for long
    (old truck 2008 AC ....PIAA fogs, led "puddle" lights, bed lights, in cab 115V, Toyota Devil emblem, Randy Ellis light bar with LED light bar, OME 885 and Dakar leaf springs OME shock all round, 2.5 Gal OBA system with air horns, iPod adapter, scangauge on blend mount, magnaflow catback, bike fork mounts, tinted 2009 tails.)
    Now I have a legitimate question. WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU ALL ARGUING ABOUT????
    Toyota rated the 2.7L tacoma to tow 3500lbs so of course it will tow 3000. Regardless what your opinion is a Tacoma equiped with a tow package can legally tow 6300-6500lbs depending on cab configuration and in my experience handles just fine although I would not choose a Tacoma as a dedicated tow rig.

Products Discussed in

To Top