Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

2.7 liter towing capacity

Old 02-15-2011, 12:44 PM   #81
If You Search...You Shall Find.
uood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Uniform / Marked Patrol
uood8's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhk View Post
Boats are aerodynamically terrible.
Aerodynamics are irrelevant on a boat ramp.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:51 PM   #82
ontarioyota is a name known to allontarioyota is a name known to allontarioyota is a name known to allontarioyota is a name known to allontarioyota is a name known to allontarioyota is a name known to all

ontarioyota's Tacoma Gallery
I pull my goose hunting rig no problems...guessing about 2200lbs...handles well in 4th gear at 55mph.
Attached Thumbnails
2.7 liter towing capacity-032.jpg  
Old 02-16-2011, 06:12 AM   #83
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Multi-quote (to the right of the quote button) is your friend
Old 02-16-2011, 06:28 AM   #84
senile member
Tacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Ex Navy. subs
Tacoyota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgjones View Post
Why can these small trucks tow so much? Is it because of the "straight" four cylinder engine design? I have a standard reg cab taco with the 2.7 and I pull a pretty large boat with it (3000 pounds) and it handles it pretty well, i was suprised.

OP, congrats. You've done nothing wrong and youve exposed several hack, armchair, wannabe, 2+1=5.5 engineers."Im only grateful i didnt get quoted here. Some of them made ?Chris maaaaaddder than ive ever seen. Whenever i see a tacoma tow now, im gonna be scared from some of what i read.

Once again , fail-tards seem to think genious is ignoring the manufacturers safe decision for towing .... and "proving" it'll do a whole lot more. Theres so many scenarios that it would be foolish to even trust one person who towed more , because he falsely believes an add a leaf a tow hitch or a gear ratio change is all you need to tow more. Those items and more only make towing the standard limit safer , easier, more reliable,or more stable...on n on. No need to overthink it , Toyota done that for us.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:18 AM   #85
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoyota View Post
OP, congrats. You've done nothing wrong and youve exposed several hack, armchair, wannabe, 2+1=5.5 engineers."Im only grateful i didnt get quoted here. Some of them made ?Chris maaaaaddder than ive ever seen. Whenever i see a tacoma tow now, im gonna be scared from some of what i read.

Once again , fail-tards seem to think genious is ignoring the manufacturers safe decision for towing .... and "proving" it'll do a whole lot more. Theres so many scenarios that it would be foolish to even trust one person who towed more , because he falsely believes an add a leaf a tow hitch or a gear ratio change is all you need to tow more. Those items and more only make towing the standard limit safer , easier, more reliable,or more stable...on n on. No need to overthink it , Toyota done that for us.

Not mad at all.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:20 AM   #86
First Class White Trash
achirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
achirdo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhk View Post
Would you please pull your head out of your ass? I *NEVER* said that you should. I said that you THEORETICALLY COULD given certain FACTS that I am personally quite comfortable with. NOBODY SAID YOU HAVE TO PULL ANYTHING!
Can we just Ban him and be done with it?

ibtl
Old 02-16-2011, 10:08 AM   #87
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by achirdo View Post
Can we just Ban him and be done with it?

ibtl

I dont think any banning is due. Good argument is never a bad thing, just when it gets persoanl, and name calling, and attacks begin to be made.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:12 AM   #88
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
The manual states 3500 lbs max for trucks without tow package(all 4 bangers and any V6 without tow package) and 6500 lbs max for vehicles without tow package. That is all.
Quote:
I just look in the manual to find out towing capacities.
X67907658904645908654. If I need to tow more I'll buy something bigger. There is no need to "test" the truck's limits.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:53 PM   #89
If You Search...You Shall Find.
uood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Uniform / Marked Patrol
uood8's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The manual states 3500 lbs max for trucks without tow package(all 4 bangers and any V6 without tow package) and 6500 lbs max for vehicles without tow package. That is all.
Quote:
I just look in the manual to find out towing capacities.
Quote:
X67907658904645908654. If I need to tow more I'll buy something bigger. There is no need to "test" the truck's limits.
rep for replying to your own posts...LOL
Old 02-16-2011, 12:54 PM   #90
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by uood8 View Post
rep for replying to your own posts...LOL
Lol. It is easier than typing everything again.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:39 PM   #91
frog13 is on a distinguished road
frog13's Tacoma Gallery
Would of saved alot of wasted time.....folks could have PM'd each other and saved innocent readers the drama.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:40 PM   #92
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by frog13 View Post
Would of saved alot of wasted time.....folks could have PM'd each other and saved innocent readers the drama.
Welcome to the internet.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:53 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by frog13 View Post
Quote:
Welcome to the internet.
Welcome to TW!
Old 02-19-2011, 02:53 PM   #94
frog13 is on a distinguished road
frog13's Tacoma Gallery
All forums have these types....joy.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:46 AM   #95
fratermus is on a distinguished road
Army: 2/9th FA (Pershing II)
fratermus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by finnigan View Post
Maybe this will help too to put in perspective too. A detroit 60 series diesel is a 4 cylinder engine, you find these in a tractor trailer. And the porsche 911.
911 is a flat six. 912 and 356 had flat four. 944 had an I4, IIRC. I am refusing to list the 924 an 914 on principle.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:02 AM   #96
sillyboy is on a distinguished road
sillyboy's Tacoma Gallery
actually. the main thing "limiting" or determining the rating of your vehicles towing capacity usually is not the power/ torque or otherwise of your engine. Your towing capacity is rated by how much your vehicle can safely stop. those two qualities are determined by your brakes but more importantly the weight of your vehicle. i know my truck can pull much more than it is rated for...but stopping it is another issue entirely. that's my two cents on the topic
Old 02-27-2011, 02:00 PM   #97
senile member
Tacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

"Flat" or "v" or "inline" dont have much to do with towing or being high performance/sport , any of those given styles have made either sport or truck motors .
On a truck motor like a pickup , often the piston stroke is long , while a sports car stroke will be shorter. That plays into the rpm range too.
At the most opposite ends is the sport bike and the diesel engine for towing. sport bike going 14k rpm and only goes up and down a short distance , where the diesel is a very long stroke , best tourque around around 1500 rpm +/-.
The above stuff might be among the big contributers as to what an engine tows, but it alone isnt going to determine tow capacity.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:02 AM   #98
sillyboy is on a distinguished road
sillyboy's Tacoma Gallery
true

true....I was merely pointing out that you may be able to pull more than your trucks towing capacity but be prepared to stop it...that is where a real problem may lie.
Old 02-28-2011, 03:47 PM   #99
senile member

Sorry sillyboy , i was generalizing for the overall thread , wasnt directed at your post.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:24 AM   #100
trib is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrib is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrib is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrib is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrib is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrib is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrib is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrib is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrib is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrib is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrib is one of the sharper tools in the shed

trib's Tacoma Gallery
I've been on forums for 10+ years and one thing I've learned is never to argue with a stubborn Canadian. Its pointless.

JMO, I wouldn't tow 7000lbs with my 6cyl. The v6 only weighs 3850lbs dry. Anyone viewing this thread that gets convinced they should tow 7000lb with a 4cyl on the interstate deserves the blown rig they'll end up with.