Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

2.7 liter towing capacity

Old 03-13-2010, 09:11 AM   #1
dgjones is on a distinguished road
dgjones's Tacoma Gallery
2.7 liter towing capacity

Why can these small trucks tow so much? Is it because of the "straight" four cylinder engine design? I have a standard reg cab taco with the 2.7 and I pull a pretty large boat with it (3000 pounds) and it handles it pretty well, i was suprised.
Old 03-13-2010, 02:34 PM   #2
supralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dan
supralight's Tacoma Gallery
I guess that the 180lbs of torque and the fact that you can hammer this engine without any concerm may help.
Old 03-13-2010, 04:55 PM   #3
Plain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Plain Jane Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I believe they are rated at 3500 lbs.
Old 03-13-2010, 05:42 PM   #4
sweater914 will become famous soon enough
sweater914's Tacoma Gallery
3500lbs is the max, 350lb tongue weight. Folks underestimate the towing compacity of these trucks all the time. You won't be speeding along the interstate at 75mph but it'll comfortably run 55-65mph all day long.

A WWII deuce and half had a straight six that produced roughly 110hp and 200-250 lb-ft of torque. It blows me away how large the towing capacities and trucks have grown. For some reason we need bigger and better with no apparent end in sight.
Old 03-13-2010, 06:05 PM   #5
If You Search...You Shall Find.
uood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Uniform / Marked Patrol
uood8's Tacoma Gallery
3500 lbs is the same as the Rav-4 w/towing pkg capacity....doesn't sound so great anymore does it.
Old 03-13-2010, 11:30 PM   #7
finnigan is on a distinguished road
finnigan's Tacoma Gallery
yes. my 2008 v6 rav4 had 3500 lb towing. 4 banger rav4 is probably 1500 or something like that.

Hp rating and tourque rating are the net rating nowadays which means power at the rear wheels. It used to be rated at the flywheel. So even though it has 159 hp and 180ft-lb tourque both numbers would be close-to or over 200 rated the old way. Also that power ratio (hp to tourque) is somewhat similar to a diesel engine which we all know is very good for towing. The tourque peaks nice and low too in the low 3000s of rpm
Old 03-13-2010, 11:34 PM   #8
john32 is on a distinguished road
Name: John
john32's Tacoma Gallery
3500 is alot for a 4 banger. I have the 2.7 but dont do any towing at all. its good to know i can if i want to
Old 03-13-2010, 11:48 PM   #9
finnigan is on a distinguished road
finnigan's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe this will help too to put in perspective too. A detroit 60 series diesel is a 4 cylinder engine, you find these in a tractor trailer. And the porsche 911. You can do a lot of messing around with an engine even if it is 4 cylinder. Especially nowadays with computers. They get better all the time.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:58 AM   #10
TroutBum is a name known to allTroutBum is a name known to allTroutBum is a name known to allTroutBum is a name known to allTroutBum is a name known to allTroutBum is a name known to all

Name: Mike
TroutBum's Tacoma Gallery
I drove fullsize V8 trucks for over ten years before buying the Tacoma. Yes, I miss the fullsize truck, but my 4 cylinder does the same job those V8's did at almost half the operating expense.

I was concerned the 4 wouldn't be up to towing my boats, but it does just fine. Little slower getting up to speed, but will still run down the highway at 70 - 75mph pulling the boat.

Mike
Old 03-14-2010, 09:19 AM   #11
If You Search...You Shall Find.
uood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Uniform / Marked Patrol
uood8's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hedlesbrmstkbass View Post
isnt that the v6 tho?
It is, but the mere fact that you can see a Rav-4 pulling the same as our trucks would be bad enough.

The 4-cyl highlander has a 3500 rating also.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:42 AM   #12
dgjones is on a distinguished road
dgjones's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutBum View Post
I drove fullsize V8 trucks for over ten years before buying the Tacoma. Yes, I miss the fullsize truck, but my 4 cylinder does the same job those V8's did at almost half the operating expense.

I was concerned the 4 wouldn't be up to towing my boats, but it does just fine. Little slower getting up to speed, but will still run down the highway at 70 - 75mph pulling the boat.

Mike
How much does your biggest rig weigh? I'm pulling a pretty hefty boat, about 3000 pounds and I was suprised at how well the truck performed for a 4 cylinder!!
Old 03-14-2010, 06:56 PM   #13
My Truck is Cuter than Yours
Kelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelson
Kelson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by finnigan View Post
yes. my 2008 v6 rav4 had 3500 lb towing. 4 banger rav4 is probably 1500 or something like that.

Hp rating and tourque rating are the net rating nowadays which means power at the rear wheels. It used to be rated at the flywheel. So even though it has 159 hp and 180ft-lb tourque both numbers would be close-to or over 200 rated the old way. Also that power ratio (hp to tourque) is somewhat similar to a diesel engine which we all know is very good for towing. The tourque peaks nice and low too in the low 3000s of rpm
umm no

we only put around 120 hp down to the wheels 159 is flywheel hp...look at some dyno charts. (i think this is for the auto tho, the standard should have a bit more power at the wheels)

Contact our Tech Support Line for further information at 928-855-6341.

Check out www.LCEngineering.com for New Products, Tech Articles,
Specials & Monthly Newsletters!

Note: Images are for illustration purposes only. Images MAY NOT represent the product listed. Please contact Customer Service with any questions or concerns: 928-505-2501.

PURCHASED BY OTHERS

Exhaust System - 2.7(4cyl) & 4.0(V6) Tacoma(05-08)
Exhaust Gasket - 2TR(2.7L 4cyl)(05-10) Tacoma
Pro Flow Exhaust System - 2TR Tacoma (05-10)
LCE Full Color Catalog
K&N 77 Series/FIPK - Tacoma (05-10) 2.7L

so my truck can pull just as much as a v6 rav4? thats fine with me.

and besides towing capacity has alot to do with chassis, suspension and weight of the vehicle as well. 3500 lbs is quite a bit for a 3400 lbs truck.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:20 PM   #14
81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed
81shark's Tacoma Gallery
interesting dyno....
Old 03-25-2010, 01:33 PM   #16
ttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
ttylerr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Maybe this will help too to put in perspective too. A detroit 60 series diesel is a 4 cylinder engine, you find these in a tractor trailer. And the porsche 911. You can do a lot of messing around with an engine even if it is 4 cylinder. Especially nowadays with computers. They get better all the time.
a detroit diesel 60 series engine is not a 4 cylinder engine... but yes, these engines do haul quite nicely
Old 03-25-2010, 02:55 PM   #17
Wolfman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWolfman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWolfman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWolfman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWolfman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWolfman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWolfman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWolfman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWolfman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWolfman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWolfman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Wolfman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
A detroit series 60 is not a four cylinder engine. It is an inline six. The four cylinder version was called the series 50, and it was the series 60 minus two cylinders.
Old 03-25-2010, 03:00 PM   #18
Wolfman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWolfman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWolfman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWolfman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWolfman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWolfman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWolfman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWolfman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWolfman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWolfman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWolfman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Wolfman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cars0n` View Post
dont flame on me for not knowing but whats tounge weight?
Tongue weight is the weight at the hitch. If it is too heavy, the added weight can cause trailer sway, poor handling, sagging at the rear, and in bad enough cases failure of components. Tongue weight should always be 10% of trailer total weight.
Old 03-25-2010, 03:08 PM   #19
Lurker
Taco Guapo has a brilliant futureTaco Guapo has a brilliant futureTaco Guapo has a brilliant futureTaco Guapo has a brilliant futureTaco Guapo has a brilliant futureTaco Guapo has a brilliant futureTaco Guapo has a brilliant futureTaco Guapo has a brilliant futureTaco Guapo has a brilliant futureTaco Guapo has a brilliant futureTaco Guapo has a brilliant future
Taco Guapo's Tacoma Gallery
Inline engines typically have relatively high torque at low RPM. This is what makes them well suited for off-road use as well as towing. Peak HP at or near redline is useless for both applications.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:42 PM   #20
My Truck is Cuter than Yours
Kelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelson
Kelson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
A detroit series 60 is not a four cylinder engine. It is an inline six. The four cylinder version was called the series 50, and it was the series 60 minus two cylinders.
i thought it was the 40 series? or was it 50 too? i stay forget already, brah lol