1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Trading 4 cyl tacoma...few questions

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by andrew, Mar 14, 2010.

1. Mar 14, 2010 at 7:25 PM
    andrew

andrew [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport, 4x4- totaled
    OEM bug deflector
    So I bought my tacoma in the fall of 08 right before I graduated college...had a job lined up in Missouri. Took the job, got laid off, now I'm back in north iowa at a job I've been at for a year...I didn't think I'd need a 4x4 in Missouri hence that was my thinking for buying the 4x2. We had a hell of a winter up here in Iowa this year and my 4x2 just does not work for this weather so I don't want to go through that next winter...I really want to trade up for a 4x4 tacoma. Few questions I have for you guys...

1. Am I going to get a good trade-in value since I live up in iowa now? I don't see anyone drive anything but a 4x4 truck. I just feel I'll get nothing for my truck.

2. What year of truck should I shoot for? does it matter? I have an 08...the only thing that matters to me is 4x4, with either sport or off road package, and extended cab. As long as it's second gen, I just didn't know if there was a certain year better than another for whatever reason(s).

3. My truck has 33,000 miles. Should I be trying to make a move now or should I wait until summer, fall, etc? Obviously I'll put on more miles and my truck will depreciate the longer I wait...I currently owe right what's it's worth, according to edmunds.

I'd appreciate anyone's input, I just feel really inexperienced with all this.

2. Mar 15, 2010 at 11:53 AM
    sweater914

sweater914 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Dakota
    Vehicle:
    '09 I4 5spd Access Cab Timberland Mica SR5
    I wouldn't rush to sell your truck. Is the snow you have issues with? If it is purchase a set of snow tires, you'll save a bunch of money. I live in Grand Forks, ND and drive 2 4x2 trucks all winter long without any issues. Snow tires are the key, I like Bridgestone Blizzaks. I put the snows on the stock wheels and purchase a nice set of all seasons, on aftermarket wheels, for the other three seasons.

3. Mar 15, 2010 at 12:21 PM
    cadman

cadman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pensacola, Florida
    Vehicle:
    TRD PreRunner
    The only way to answer your question is to go to several car lots and get them to tell you a trade in price. i found out during a recent trip to a dealer that the consumer driven car valuation services are pretty misleading. cars are sold at auction at what its value is today, and the area you live in makes a big difference.

what ever floats your boat :)

I would think the best time for a 4wd would be after hunting season and before old man winter blows snow.

cadman

4. Mar 15, 2010 at 2:23 PM
    81shark

81shark Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Base Access CP1
    is Iowa hilly? i don't remember it being bad when i drove thru.

i live in northern IL and before that northern OH. I've been thru 5 winters with my 4x2 with minimal issues. put some weight over the wheels and have decent tires and you should do ok.

now if you have lots of hills, i would think about 4x4.

5. Apr 11, 2010 at 9:03 AM
    tiger955

tiger955 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Carson City
    Vehicle:
    06 Access 4WD
    trd suspension
    +2 on the Bridgestone Blizzaks , they get amazing traction on ice and snow. I used to drive a 2wd Ford Ranger in PA, and drove up icy hills that many 4wds couldn't make. A couple hundred pounds of extra weight in the back makes a huge difference too, even in a 4wd.

6. Apr 13, 2010 at 2:49 PM
    95TacoSX

95TacoSX Member

Member:
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    1995 Tacoma SX Stock
    The west end of the state is but no the middle or the eastern portions!

7. Apr 13, 2010 at 2:52 PM
    stro908

stro908 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Sparta,NJ
    Vehicle:
    SR5 TRD 4banger man.
    HTML:

The only way to answer your question is to go to several car lots and get them to tell you a trade in price. i found out during a recent trip to a dealer that the consumer driven car valuation services are pretty misleading. cars are sold at auction at what its value is today, and the area you live in makes a big difference.

X2. Look at galves.com to give you a real value. KBB and edmunds are just guides.

Blizzacks are the best snow tire out there!!

8. Apr 13, 2010 at 6:45 PM
    trg37

trg37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma OME Full Setup
    Shop around. its a big investment that should not be taken lightly.

9. Apr 13, 2010 at 6:57 PM
    brow

brow Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2020 Dodge Ram 1500
    I just traded in my '03 camry two weeks ago for a '10 tacoma. For some reason they gave me a stupid amount of money for the car, 7,000 for a base camry with over 100,000 on it, book was about 4500. I'd try a toyota dealer, used tacomas are still going for great prices (i planned on buying used, but it was only a 2,000 difference between a truck very similar to your trade in and the brand new one i bought)

Products Discussed in

To Top