Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Who does your brake job?

Old 03-16-2010, 09:06 AM   #1
bboynowee is a name known to allbboynowee is a name known to allbboynowee is a name known to allbboynowee is a name known to allbboynowee is a name known to allbboynowee is a name known to all

bboynowee's Tacoma Gallery
Talking Who does your brake job?

Just wondering... who does your brake job....My taco is due for a brake job and not sure if to take it to a mechanic or change them myself.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:07 AM   #2
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
I do my own.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:11 AM   #3
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
me
Old 03-16-2010, 09:12 AM   #4
Local Man
bigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bigburrito's Tacoma Gallery
do it yourself. it is easy, as long as you pay attention (and assuming you have the proper tools). do one side at a time, and put everything back in the reverse order you took it off.

and it will save you big $$$$$
Old 03-16-2010, 09:18 AM   #6
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Always do it myself. Nobody else is going to take the proper time and care to make sure the job is done right.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:22 AM   #7
el tráfico más lento se queda derecha
SManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SManZ's Tacoma Gallery
Do it yourself. Brake pads are easy, especially on this truck. If you're bleeding brakes to change fluid for the first time get a buddy (or forum member) thats done it before. Brake bleeds are easier with two people anyway.

The only thing I'd consider taking the truck in for is those dumbass drum brakes. I've never changed a set, but then again I'll never learn if I don't do it.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:26 AM   #8
pwrstrk02 is a splendid one to beholdpwrstrk02 is a splendid one to beholdpwrstrk02 is a splendid one to beholdpwrstrk02 is a splendid one to beholdpwrstrk02 is a splendid one to beholdpwrstrk02 is a splendid one to beholdpwrstrk02 is a splendid one to behold

Name: randy
pwrstrk02's Tacoma Gallery
i think brakes scare mid to older aged people more so than younger. when they used to be drum brakes you had all the springs, adjusters, rust and hammers, a whole can of W-D 40, not actualy knowing if you needed new hubs. with disc brakes, its just two bolts to get the calliper off, mabey a screwdriver to pry the piston back in, and a set of mic's to measure the rotors. its too easy, just do it. i look at it this way. the hardest part is starting, once you start you have to finish, just dont be stupid about it.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:39 AM   #9
81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed
81shark's Tacoma Gallery
don't pry the pistons back in with a screw driver. get yourself a big c clamp and before taking off the pads, press the pad/piston back in, then remove pad and put on new ones.

i do mine and hte gf's. dealer qouted 375 to do her fronts. with pads and new discs, i had 120 into the job.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:40 AM   #10
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 81shark View Post
don't pry the pistons back in with a screw driver. get yourself a big c clamp and before taking off the pads, press the pad/piston back in, then remove pad and put on new ones.
I use a big pair of channel locks.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:41 AM   #11
81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed
81shark's Tacoma Gallery
i believe in my method....i don't want to gouge up the piston or the cyclander. but if yours work.....
Old 03-16-2010, 09:45 AM   #12
Local Man
bigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bigburrito's Tacoma Gallery
+1 for the big c-clamp
Old 03-16-2010, 09:46 AM   #13
Taco Vending Machine
Beefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Beefed Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Me and only me!
Old 03-16-2010, 09:47 AM   #14
pwrstrk02 is a splendid one to beholdpwrstrk02 is a splendid one to beholdpwrstrk02 is a splendid one to beholdpwrstrk02 is a splendid one to beholdpwrstrk02 is a splendid one to beholdpwrstrk02 is a splendid one to beholdpwrstrk02 is a splendid one to behold

Name: randy
pwrstrk02's Tacoma Gallery
ok so its not advised to use a screwdriver, thats why i say dont be stupid about it. pry them open with the old brake pads in. if the pistons are fighting you to go back in their hole you are going to scratch things just as much, if not more, with channel locks.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:45 PM   #15
Taco.Tim is on a distinguished road

Name: Tim
Taco.Tim's Tacoma Gallery
Do my own. Pretty simple.

Tim Glover
Old 03-16-2010, 08:55 PM   #16
Wrencher86 is on a distinguished road
Wrencher86's Tacoma Gallery
Disc brakes are pretty easy. Pull the wheels, remove the calipers, use either a big c-clamp or a giant pair of channel locks WITH AN OLD PAD to push the pistons back in. Take the cap off the resevoir first, makes things a little easier. You should take the rotors somewhere to have them machined, either an auto parts store or some local shops might do it (for a fee). Drums are a little more complicated. Alway do one side at a time so you can see how it's set-up.

If you're not comfortable with any of it or you don't have the right tools, try to find a good independent shop. Dealer will charge more (typically). Whatever you do, DO NOT take it to a Meineke or Midas or any other chain repair store for that matter. You get what you pay for and $99 per axle gets you crappy parts installed by Billy the highschool greaser.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:42 PM   #20
Crankey Old Yacht Jockey
Timber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant future

Name: Tim
Timber's Tacoma Gallery
Try it yourself. The front pads are really not that big of a deal. lots of info here too if you get stuck.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ad-change.html