Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

2TR w/33's and regear/no regear info wanted

Old 04-03-2010, 09:10 AM   #1
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
2TR w/33's and regear/no regear info wanted

So i have a chance right now to get a great deal on 255/85/16's but dont have the money to do a regear right at this time.

Those of you with a 4 banger and 33's how long before you regeared?
Do you think its necessary right away?
What was your mileage like before after regear?

Or any other comments, id really like to jump on the new tires!
Old 04-05-2010, 12:39 AM   #2
Master Jedi Member I am...
chad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Chad
chad68's Tacoma Gallery
The money you save on the 'good deal' 33" tires, you will spend more than that on the gas your truck will drink, over the life of the 33" tires. Then you could add extra money on that for the wear and tear on the clutch, driveline, brakes wheel bearings etc.

I have a reg cab 2009 4 banger and I really can't imagine running 33's on a 4 banger without regearing. I was debating between 33's and 32's and so glad I didn't get 33's.

On the other hand I have not actually ran 33's just 32's so who knows maybe the extra 1" diameter and extra weight isn't such a big deal. Pep Boys has a good looking MT in 16x33" they usually have for buy 3 get one free. Ends up being like $550 installed after the mail in rebate. That's half what I paid for my 32" kumho's installed, tax, balance blah blah. Even though my Kumhos cost twice as much, in the end I feel a little better knowing I'm not tearing my truck up as much and I can still use 5th gear on the freeway without having to ge-gear.

Now if I ever decide to do a 6" lift, some of what I just said goes out the window
Old 04-05-2010, 12:58 AM   #3
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

im doing a 255/85/16 33" not a 285/75/16 so it wont be to much resistance. after talking with chris i think ill jump on the deal
Old 04-05-2010, 10:30 AM   #4
doing my thing.
kcbmx is a splendid one to beholdkcbmx is a splendid one to beholdkcbmx is a splendid one to beholdkcbmx is a splendid one to beholdkcbmx is a splendid one to beholdkcbmx is a splendid one to behold

Firefighter: Hotshot
Name: Marco
kcbmx's Tacoma Gallery
I'm looking into the 255/85/16 tire as well(cooper discovery), lighter then the 285 so I'm hoping it's around the same as the 265/75 mt's that I run right now.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:42 AM   #5
Almost there

same weight? ^

and those are what i will be getting. i wish they made the cooper discoverer st-c, those look like sex!
Old 04-08-2010, 08:12 PM   #6
Rowdy16 is on a distinguished road
Rowdy16's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2.7L and i put 265/70/17 on it and its fine going 55 but get on the interstate and man it really works hard. Pulling a trailer to, it really works hard to get up to 45. Not to hijack your thread because its kind of the same questions, but what would be a good gear to put in it? And i thought i heard where a Ford rear end would work, is that so? I doubt the lug pattern matches up, but was just wondering.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:20 PM   #7
Go Big or Go Home!!
TacomaTSP4 has much to be proud ofTacomaTSP4 has much to be proud ofTacomaTSP4 has much to be proud ofTacomaTSP4 has much to be proud ofTacomaTSP4 has much to be proud ofTacomaTSP4 has much to be proud ofTacomaTSP4 has much to be proud ofTacomaTSP4 has much to be proud ofTacomaTSP4 has much to be proud ofTacomaTSP4 has much to be proud of
Name: Travis
TacomaTSP4's Tacoma Gallery
i run a 4banger with a 3" lift and 33" mud tires (285/75/16 KM2's). My truck struggles when going up hills and when in 4hi some times its struggles through mud pits but crawling up hills is fine in 4low. Im going to be installing a 6" lift and im debating on throwing 35's on. Im for sure adding 4.56's or 4.88 in front and rear
Old 04-27-2010, 04:26 PM   #8
NakedTacoma is a glorious beacon of lightNakedTacoma is a glorious beacon of lightNakedTacoma is a glorious beacon of lightNakedTacoma is a glorious beacon of lightNakedTacoma is a glorious beacon of lightNakedTacoma is a glorious beacon of light
NakedTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaTSP4 View Post
i run a 4banger with a 3" lift and 33" mud tires (285/75/16 KM2's). My truck struggles when going up hills and when in 4hi some times its struggles through mud pits but crawling up hills is fine in 4low. Im going to be installing a 6" lift and im debating on throwing 35's on. Im for sure adding 4.56's or 4.88 in front and rear
35 on a 4cyl .....thats asking for a broken truck

I have 33x12.50x15 on a 4cyl and i had to regear...i went to 4.56 and it was to much then i went to 4.10 and its alright but the best is 4.33 but thats factory only and expensive

ALSO i have 3inch coils in the fron and LT in the back so i know that has some affect
Old 04-27-2010, 04:29 PM   #9
Go Big or Go Home!!
TacomaTSP4 has much to be proud ofTacomaTSP4 has much to be proud ofTacomaTSP4 has much to be proud ofTacomaTSP4 has much to be proud ofTacomaTSP4 has much to be proud ofTacomaTSP4 has much to be proud ofTacomaTSP4 has much to be proud ofTacomaTSP4 has much to be proud ofTacomaTSP4 has much to be proud ofTacomaTSP4 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by NakedTacoma View Post
35 on a 4cyl .....thats asking for a broken truck

I have 33x12.50x15 on a 4cyl and i had to regear...i went to 4.56 and it was to much then i went to 4.10 and its alright but the best is 4.33 but thats factory only and expensive

ALSO i have 3inch coils in the fron and LT in the back so i know that has some affect
decided not to go 6" just staying with 3" and 33's....which brand gearing did you go?
Old 04-27-2010, 04:33 PM   #10
gtrotter is a splendid one to beholdgtrotter is a splendid one to beholdgtrotter is a splendid one to beholdgtrotter is a splendid one to beholdgtrotter is a splendid one to beholdgtrotter is a splendid one to beholdgtrotter is a splendid one to beholdgtrotter is a splendid one to behold
gtrotter's Tacoma Gallery
I've got the 255/85/16 Km2's on my truck with stock 4.10 gears. It isn't particularly hilly around where I live, so I have no problems with them. Interstate can be a pain once you get into hilly areas, though. I can still haul my boat and 4wheeler at the same time though. Gas mileage dropped by maybe 1 mpg, most likely because I tend to drive the county highways at 60 mph. At that speed, she purrs along like stock. In town, the mileage really dropped, I bet I don't get over 16 in town now.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:40 PM   #11
Almost there

^ damn son. no more than 16 in town ill definetly be going 4.56 cause the rpm's will be the exact same they are now and a few other people with 4 cylinders and 4.56 (drew02a) really likes his setup and really thinks that it helped.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:58 PM   #12
Go Big or Go Home!!
worth going 4.88's with only 33's? or should i just go 4.56's? Im not worried about the mpg
Old 04-27-2010, 06:06 PM   #13
Almost there

rpms at 65 will be around 3k thats the only down side and any quicker than that well i wouldnt drive any faster than that lol
Old 04-27-2010, 06:08 PM   #14
MikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
MikeyD's Tacoma Gallery
Im in the same boat as you guys. I think im going to get some 285/75/17s this summer 34/11.5. But not sure what gears to go with 4.56 or 4.88? any one have suggestions.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:15 PM   #15
NakedTacoma is a glorious beacon of lightNakedTacoma is a glorious beacon of lightNakedTacoma is a glorious beacon of lightNakedTacoma is a glorious beacon of lightNakedTacoma is a glorious beacon of lightNakedTacoma is a glorious beacon of light
NakedTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaTSP4 View Post
decided not to go 6" just staying with 3" and 33's....which brand gearing did you go?
nitro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08pretaco View Post
^ damn son. no more than 16 in town ill definetly be going 4.56 cause the rpm's will be the exact same they are now and a few other people with 4 cylinders and 4.56 (drew02a) really likes his setup and really thinks that it helped.
HELL NO! lol i had 4.56 in my mini and it was toooooooo much for 33s
Old 04-27-2010, 06:41 PM   #16
MikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MikeyD's Tacoma Gallery
Does anyone know what size diff and clam shell us 4x4 4cyl's have? and weather or not 4.88's or 4.56's will fit without a new carrier?
Old 04-27-2010, 06:52 PM   #17
"Obviously, You're not a Golfer..."
swervin22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswervin22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswervin22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswervin22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswervin22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswervin22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswervin22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswervin22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswervin22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswervin22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswervin22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: FCC(SW) Aegis FCS, Soon to Be LCPO on the USS BULKELY
Name: Jonas
swervin22's Tacoma Gallery
a little late to the party, but i got some 275/70/17's coming tomorrow. Not really worried about highway performance. it'll get there when it gets there. i figure when im offroading, i'll be in 4lo anyways... do i really need to re-gear? i doubt it , buy only you guys that have 4 bangers will know for sure? have i bitten off more than i could chew?
Old 04-27-2010, 06:59 PM   #18

MikeyD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoridinhigh View Post
The rear axle holds 4.88s with the existing carrier, I had to purchase a different carrier for the front 4.88s though. You could buy an ARB locker for around 8 bills, or what I did was just get the carrier for $350.
Thanks for the info. I have been doing a lot of research and couldn't find a straight answer.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:00 PM   #19

MikeyD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoridinhigh View Post
The rear axle holds 4.88s with the existing carrier, I had to purchase a different carrier for the front 4.88s though. You could buy an ARB locker for around 8 bills, or what I did was just get the carrier for $350.
and you have the same diff as us 4 bangers right?
Old 04-27-2010, 07:08 PM   #20
Almost there

Quote:
Originally Posted by NakedTacoma View Post
nitro

HELL NO! lol i had 4.56 in my mini and it was toooooooo much for 33s
mine has so much more weight then a mini that its gonna be pushing so i think im gonna go with some multiple peoples advice on this one. first of camburg spindles, sliders, arb locker and compressor. i think with that adding weight and then some heavier wheels and tires that i am running 4.56 sounds like a good idea.

oh and nakedtacoma, when you say mini what do you mean? just the base truck without being prerunner or what?