Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Doug Thorley vs. LC Engineering

View Poll Results: Which header for the 2TR-FE?
Doug Thorley 75 39.27%
LC Engineering 116 60.73%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-29-2013, 04:20 PM   #101
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
Damn just seen . I did leave a message when ordering saying I was part of this forum and if any discounts . Hopefully they'll apply the 10%
Old 07-11-2013, 10:55 AM   #102
Taco2112 is on a distinguished road
Name: Mike
Taco2112's Tacoma Gallery
Going to be ordering the LC Engineering header this week. From what i have read there shouldn't be any fitment issues. After the install has anyone had any problems with check engine lights or any issues?
Old 07-11-2013, 11:34 AM   #103
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: CH47 Chinook mechanic
Name: Greg
tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Mine fit perfectly with absolutely no CEL issues.

Just make sure you disconnect the negative battery cable during installation
so the ECU can go completely stupid to relearn the new operating parameters.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:50 AM   #104
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
I don't disconnect the battery . Think I should
Old 07-11-2013, 11:51 AM   #105
Taco2112 is on a distinguished road
Taco2112's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
Mine fit perfectly with absolutely no CEL issues.

Just make sure you disconnect the negative battery cable during installation
so the ECU can go completely stupid to relearn the new operating parameters.

Thanks, looking forward to getting these on my truck!
Old 07-11-2013, 05:17 PM   #106
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelo760 View Post
I don't disconnect the battery . Think I should
If you haven't gotten a Check Engine Light it still wouldn't hurt anything if you did. What that does is to allow your ECU to relearn your engine's operating parameters to account for the installation of your header.

Even if I make a minor change on my engine, I always take off the negative terminal to allow the ECU to reset so that it can make the best of the new operating conditions. One thing you'll lose are the a and b trip odometer settings. If you're keeping track of trip or gas mileage, be sure to write them down because they'll reset to zero when you put the terminal back on. Your regular odometer always remembers its setting.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:58 PM   #107
Kilo Sierra is on a distinguished road
Kilo Sierra's Tacoma Gallery
LCE

Recently installed the LCE.

Very nice construction and design.

Excellent customer service, including a phone from me with installation question the night before. They answered the phone after published hours, and were more than happy to chat.

Header went in without issue...My big dollar gearhead pals were all over the tube bends, weld beads, and how it bolted to the head and stock exhaust perfectly.

Impressive improvement...

ks
Old 07-20-2013, 12:53 AM   #108
Broja OG and CEO
mipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Location: Behind the windshield, watching the world pass on the right.
mipawlus's Tacoma Gallery
I'm curious now as to which one is better for the 6-banger. I'm looking at upgrading, and DTs are the only ones I can find, so they might have to suffice...
Old 07-20-2013, 04:49 AM   #109
play every day

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
As far as I know, the only 6 cylinder headers LCE makes are for Gen 1's. If you do get DT's, make sure you get ones with O2 sensor bungs already on them so you don't need to pay more money to have them retrofitted.
Old 12-17-2013, 04:02 PM   #110
i2andom81 is a glorious beacon of lighti2andom81 is a glorious beacon of lighti2andom81 is a glorious beacon of lighti2andom81 is a glorious beacon of lighti2andom81 is a glorious beacon of light

i2andom81's Tacoma Gallery
Just updating my truck. I have the URD 2tr supercharger with Doug Thorley headers and my gasket blew and my header cracked. The DT headers are not made of the same strength steel as LCE headers. I am getting new LCE headers to replace my thorley headers. So if your truck has boost, the LCE headers are a better option. I will post my review of the difference once I get the new headers on my truck.
Old 12-17-2013, 04:16 PM   #111
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Screw the header let hear the boosted 2.7L
Old 12-17-2013, 06:42 PM   #112
play every day

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by i2andom81 View Post
Just updating my truck. I have the URD 2tr supercharger with Doug Thorley headers and my gasket blew and my header cracked. The DT headers are not made of the same strength steel as LCE headers. I am getting new LCE headers to replace my thorley headers. So if your truck has boost, the LCE headers are a better option. I will post my review of the difference once I get the new headers on my truck.

Good move. The LCE 2TR header is built like a tank and fits like a glove.

If I'm not mistaken, you're one of the first guys here (and maybe the only guy) with a force inducted 2.7. Would you mind posting some pics of it as well as perhaps a video of how it sounds?
Old 12-17-2013, 07:43 PM   #113
i2andom81 is a glorious beacon of lighti2andom81 is a glorious beacon of lighti2andom81 is a glorious beacon of lighti2andom81 is a glorious beacon of lighti2andom81 is a glorious beacon of light

i2andom81's Tacoma Gallery

I will try post a video when my truck is repaired. These are some old photos
Old 12-17-2013, 07:54 PM   #114
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Wish you were in Cali to take a ride in that thing
Old 12-21-2013, 09:01 PM   #115
play every day

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by i2andom81 View Post

I will try post a video when my truck is repaired. These are some old photos

All that black plumbing looks really badass.

And that would be great if you could post a video, as boosted 2.7's are so rare.

Greg
Old 01-16-2014, 01:11 AM   #116
Jesus follower
.MarkyMark. is a splendid one to behold.MarkyMark. is a splendid one to behold.MarkyMark. is a splendid one to behold.MarkyMark. is a splendid one to behold.MarkyMark. is a splendid one to behold.MarkyMark. is a splendid one to behold.MarkyMark. is a splendid one to behold

Name: Mark
.MarkyMark.'s Tacoma Gallery
I called both Doug Thorley and LCE today... DT is CARB legal in California. The code is imprinted right on the header. I've chosen to go with DT and here's a few reasons why...

With equal length headers, as each exhaust valve in the head of the engine is opened and exhaust gas is forced out, it passes down one of the header pipes and through to the down pipe, where the exhaust gas velocity causes a slight vacuum in another header pipe. This has an effect of scavenging (extracting) exhaust gas from the cylinder, which is beneficial for performance. In our vvti engines, which have cam overlap, the scavenging (extracting) effect will pull air through from the intake manifold as well, further increasing performance. Extractor manifolds separate the gas that flows from the individual cylinders so that inter-cylinder interference is avoided and maintaining an optimum gas velocity dictated by the diameter of the tube. They also allow the individual cylinders to assist one another by means of the negative pressure waves generated at the collector, where the individual exhausts merge. The length of exhaust headers can be tuned to perform best at specific RPM ranges. For most trucks, the 4-2-1 design produces more mid range power with the sacrifice of top end power. Mid range power is great for the street since when you drive you usually do not rev your motor close to redline. Instead, you keep the revs somewhere in the middle, usually shifting at 2.5-4K, and this is where the headers shine. This is more the exception than the rule as most headers that are 4-2-1 do produce more power in the mid range, so the "seat of the pants" and "butt dyno" make these headers feel stronger since the power band isn't as high in the RPM range. The 4-1 headers are designed so that all 4 exhaust pipes merge into one. In most dyno tests, this produces the most top end power since it usually offers the best flow characteristics for the engine at high engine speeds. 4-1 headers usually move the power band up, which makes the bottom of the RPM band feel a bit weak and the "seat of the pants" feel might not be as strong as a 4-2-1 header. However, dyno tests have show that at low RPM there is very little difference in power. The 4-1 headers usually have less back-pressure than the 4-2-1 header and people say their trucks seem louder at high RPM with the 4-1 headers.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:15 PM   #117
gray223 is a splendid one to beholdgray223 is a splendid one to beholdgray223 is a splendid one to beholdgray223 is a splendid one to beholdgray223 is a splendid one to beholdgray223 is a splendid one to beholdgray223 is a splendid one to behold

gray223's Tacoma Gallery
so how does the headers effect mpg. I have to downshift like 3-4 times on the highway when i go to my dads (which is ever weekend) so if they prevent the need for the tranny to downshift how much mpg would i gains. And sometimes it takes it forever to upshift. I have a 3rz seems like LCE is the way to go?
Old 02-17-2014, 11:08 PM   #118
play every day

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by .MarkyMark. View Post
I called both Doug Thorley and LCE today... DT is CARB legal in California. The code is imprinted right on the header. I've chosen to go with DT and here's a few reasons why...

With equal length headers, as each exhaust valve in the head of the engine is opened and exhaust gas is forced out, it passes down one of the header pipes and through to the down pipe, where the exhaust gas velocity causes a slight vacuum in another header pipe. This has an effect of scavenging (extracting) exhaust gas from the cylinder, which is beneficial for performance. In our vvti engines, which have cam overlap, the scavenging (extracting) effect will pull air through from the intake manifold as well, further increasing performance. Extractor manifolds separate the gas that flows from the individual cylinders so that inter-cylinder interference is avoided and maintaining an optimum gas velocity dictated by the diameter of the tube. They also allow the individual cylinders to assist one another by means of the negative pressure waves generated at the collector, where the individual exhausts merge. The length of exhaust headers can be tuned to perform best at specific RPM ranges. For most trucks, the 4-2-1 design produces more mid range power with the sacrifice of top end power. Mid range power is great for the street since when you drive you usually do not rev your motor close to redline. Instead, you keep the revs somewhere in the middle, usually shifting at 2.5-4K, and this is where the headers shine. This is more the exception than the rule as most headers that are 4-2-1 do produce more power in the mid range, so the "seat of the pants" and "butt dyno" make these headers feel stronger since the power band isn't as high in the RPM range. The 4-1 headers are designed so that all 4 exhaust pipes merge into one. In most dyno tests, this produces the most top end power since it usually offers the best flow characteristics for the engine at high engine speeds. 4-1 headers usually move the power band up, which makes the bottom of the RPM band feel a bit weak and the "seat of the pants" feel might not be as strong as a 4-2-1 header. However, dyno tests have show that at low RPM there is very little difference in power. The 4-1 headers usually have less back-pressure than the 4-2-1 header and people say their trucks seem louder at high RPM with the 4-1 headers.
That's a good description of the theory... however the actual dyno test results show exactly the opposite.

A bone stock 2.7 has a torque peak of 133ftlb @ 3,800 rpms.

Doug Thorley header has a torque peak of 144ftlbs @ 4,000 rpms.

LCE header has a torque peak of 158ftlbs @ 3,150 rpms. (blue run)

The DT 4-2-1 short tube header raises the torque peak over stock by 200rpm...

...while the LCE 4-1 long tube header lowers the torque peak under stock by 650 rpm.

p.s. just as a side note...

Bone Stock 2.7
Stock intake
Stock header
Stock exhaust

119hp / 132ftlb

My 2.7
tooter 2.7 spacer
LCE header
Stock exhaust

137hp / 160ftlb

Greg
Old 02-18-2014, 08:29 AM   #119
gray223 is a splendid one to beholdgray223 is a splendid one to beholdgray223 is a splendid one to beholdgray223 is a splendid one to beholdgray223 is a splendid one to beholdgray223 is a splendid one to beholdgray223 is a splendid one to behold

gray223's Tacoma Gallery
Are you selling the spacers yet?
Old 02-18-2014, 09:25 AM   #120
play every day

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gray223 View Post
Are you selling the spacers yet?
They're for the 2TR and still not done yet because the engineer is working on other bigger projects on a deadline so my small production runs have to wait.

Intake manifold spacers that fit your 1996 3RZ engine are already available from Paradiseracing.com

Greg