LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Doug Thorley vs. LC Engineering

View Poll Results: Which header for the 2TR-FE?
Doug Thorley 71 39.66%
LC Engineering 108 60.34%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-06-2010, 09:02 PM   #1
Wrencher86 is on a distinguished road
Wrencher86's Tacoma Gallery
Doug Thorley vs. LC Engineering

After reading what a lot of other people are saying on here, it seems like a header is the most cost effective way to add relatively cheap HP. I'm looking at either DT or LCEngineering. Wanted to know what everyone else thought.

If you have one or the other what do think about it, how's the sound, any installation problems? etc, etc.

DT seems to have a pretty large following, but LC shows higher power gains.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:06 PM   #2
Thread Jacker
schiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Caleb
schiz94's Tacoma Gallery
i think LC engineering because they have better low RPM gains, and i heard doug thorley loses HP in the low end, and idk about you but when im driving i never really get much higher than 3k
Old 04-06-2010, 09:06 PM   #3
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
It the cost effective way to gain low end torque mostly. hp is a thing of the past, as i see it, because daily driving you never see it. if you look at the dynos for both lce and dt they are almost identical for power but the lce looks as if it reaches a higher torque peak sooner which is great!

if you were looking at the dyno that lce published with theirs and the dt they "might" not have represented dt gains as "well" as they could have. everyones out to make a buck and they ( i feel) slanted the number to make you see more of a gain than there really is.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:07 PM   #4
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

i have the dt header and i dont feel as though i lost low end hp, but then again i only got a butt dyno and that doesnt mean much

btw caleb where did you hear that? doesnt seem as though their dyno shows that
Old 04-06-2010, 09:10 PM   #5
Thread Jacker
schiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

schiz94's Tacoma Gallery
umm i think it was in the DT group buy for 2.7l, i dont remember for sure. but someone said that the LCE is much better for low end. and i dont usually rev that much in DD, so thats what appeals to me in my choice
Old 04-06-2010, 09:12 PM   #6
Almost there

Quote:
Originally Posted by schiz94 View Post
umm i think it was in the DT group buy for 2.7l, i dont remember for sure. but someone said that the LCE is much better for low end. and i dont usually rev that much in DD, so thats what appeals to me in my choice
really? did that someone actually have experience with either of them?? not trying to be a dick and i know that equal length tube header have better low end im just trying to figure out how someone comes to a conclusion like that who might not have experience with either of them just being curious thats all
Old 04-06-2010, 09:13 PM   #7
Wrencher86 is on a distinguished road
Wrencher86's Tacoma Gallery
I keep the RPM's pretty low, so low end grunt is preferable.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:14 PM   #8
Thread Jacker

schiz94's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08pretaco View Post
really? did that someone actually have experience with either of them?? not trying to be a dick and i know that equal length tube header have better low end im just trying to figure out how someone comes to a conclusion like that who might not have experience with either of them just being curious thats all
im just saying thats what i heard homie. and thats the guy that had LCE.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:14 PM   #9
Almost there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrencher86 View Post
I keep the RPM's pretty low, so low end grunt is preferable.
yes. that why people prefer superchargers over turbo. turbos need time to spool whereas superchargers work off the engine giving gains from the get go
Old 04-06-2010, 09:15 PM   #11
Almost there

Quote:
im just saying thats what i heard homie. and thats the guy that had LCE.

i might pm him and ask him if he HAD the dt. again not trying to be an a hole man and it seems to me that i can off a little offensive so i apologize
Old 04-06-2010, 09:16 PM   #12
Thread Jacker

schiz94's Tacoma Gallery
its all good. im just trying to help this guy out.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:19 PM   #13
jab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud of
jab08's Tacoma Gallery
Dont know about the DT headers, but I have a Lc header on my truck and I have to say its very nice. Very good build quality. But dont expect magical power gains. I only noticed a small boost in torque but from 3k up is where it shines.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:21 PM   #14
Almost there

Quote:
i think LC engineering because they have better low RPM gains, and i heard doug thorley loses HP in the low end, and idk about you but when im driving i never really get much higher than 3k

heres what the other guy said in the group buy:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRabbitFurHead View Post
I've seen the DT charts below 2500 and you loose hp and torque over stock. That's the main reason why I haven't purchased them as I don't punch it at every stop light and try to get over up to 4000+ very often.

also if you take a look there please notice he is a v6
Old 04-06-2010, 09:32 PM   #15
Thread Jacker

schiz94's Tacoma Gallery
oooppsss my BBADDDDD
Old 04-07-2010, 10:31 AM   #16
jassco has a spectacular aura aboutjassco has a spectacular aura aboutjassco has a spectacular aura about

jassco's Tacoma Gallery
Just from looking at both anything with equal length tubes should be a touch better in design hence my interest in LCE. Has LC commented on the low end. I would think regardless this engine just doesnt push much below 2500 and thats too bad as the shift point likes to be down low once warmed up. This may be moot here.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:17 AM   #17
senile member
Tacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Ex Navy. subs
Tacoyota's Tacoma Gallery
If im not mistaken the LCe one isnt made for the 2tr-fe ( gen2 ,right?) , only gen 1 or so... not that I know why it wouldnt work on a gen2. If i recall i checked the part numbers for a 2008 fit and found none.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:57 AM   #18
jassco has a spectacular aura aboutjassco has a spectacular aura aboutjassco has a spectacular aura about

jassco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoyota View Post
If im not mistaken the LCe one isnt made for the 2tr-fe ( gen2 ,right?) , only gen 1 or so... not that I know why it wouldnt work on a gen2. If i recall i checked the part numbers for a 2008 fit and found none.
http://www.toyotacatalog.net/M1WebGe...6-246DA163E762
Old 04-08-2010, 07:42 AM   #19
Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)
BradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bradley
BradleyScottETC's Tacoma Gallery
The best header performance comes from equally- sized piping from front to back, which the LCE header has and the Doug thorley does not. However, simply based on how they wanted to do our group buy and how they see our interest in their product a prompt to inflate the retail on it, I think I'd just go ahead and get the DT.
Old 04-08-2010, 01:12 PM   #20
doing my thing.
kcbmx is a splendid one to beholdkcbmx is a splendid one to beholdkcbmx is a splendid one to beholdkcbmx is a splendid one to beholdkcbmx is a splendid one to beholdkcbmx is a splendid one to behold

Firefighter: Hotshot
Name: Marco
kcbmx's Tacoma Gallery
it really sucks that they turned us down like a fat chick on a friday