Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

4-Bangers and octane

Old 04-23-2010, 02:46 PM   #1
nagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of light

Army: 173rd Airborne, Pathfinder, MACV
Name: George
nagelg's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to nagelg
4-Bangers and octane

There is another thread in the 2nd Gen page but not too many 2.7 drivers chimed in.

Has any of you 2.7 owners noticed a mpg/performance difference using a higher octane fuel???
Old 04-23-2010, 02:53 PM   #2
Banned
kilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to behold
kilgoja's Tacoma Gallery
i tried it once and i couldn't tell much of a difference...there may be a slight one but it's really not enough to matter
Old 04-23-2010, 03:13 PM   #3
If you ain't stuck, You ain't tryin hard enough.
blackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jay
blackwatertaco's Tacoma Gallery
I run the cheap stuff...Still get 22mpg on the highway with my big tires. But I get about 15 in town. (lots of stop lights and school zones.)
Old 04-23-2010, 03:36 PM   #4
btkicker will become famous soon enough
btkicker's Tacoma Gallery
No difference. Same acceleration, same MPG.
Old 04-23-2010, 03:36 PM   #5
NAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
NAAC3TACO's Tacoma Gallery
I ran higher octane and noticed zero difference in performance or gas mileage. Needless to say, I went back to 87. I live at 4,500 ft, so maybe at sea level there might be a noticeable difference, but I doubt it.
Old 04-23-2010, 03:37 PM   #6
btkicker will become famous soon enough
btkicker's Tacoma Gallery
If you do overspend, overspend at Shell. I have stock in that company.
Old 04-23-2010, 03:59 PM   #7
Taco.Tim is on a distinguished road

Name: Tim
Taco.Tim's Tacoma Gallery
Unless you are experiencing detonation (pinging, pre-ignition, spark knocking), the higher octane fuel probably won't help. The higher the octane number, the slower the fuel burns.

I run 87 octane periodically in my 2000 Corvette Coupe, and it doesn't miss a beat. In fact, the way the computer re-maps for it actually adds some low end torque. I usually run mid-grade, and rarely premium in the Corvette.

Every four banger Toyota truck I have owned (on my fourth one now) has always run well on 87 Octane.

I've seen people drive up in stock automobiles at Atlanta Dragway, and buy several gallons of 112, 114 or 116 octane. It does make them feel better about bracket racing or test and tuning, but doesn't help their performance (or bank account) at all.

Tim Glover
Old 04-23-2010, 10:07 PM   #8
tacoman2.7 is on a distinguished road
Name: papakracker
tacoman2.7's Tacoma Gallery
Wink more is better

08 acc ,2.7,auto. I go back and forth 87/91. I get better mpg and a definite pick up in acceleration w/91. I stick to shell or chev .
Old 04-24-2010, 04:50 PM   #10
qixer01 is on a distinguished road
Army:
qixer01's Tacoma Gallery
i can tell a slight bit difference in 93 octane gas. i get about 2 mpg gain. and better throttle response.
Old 04-24-2010, 04:59 PM   #11
brow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud of

Name: Andy
brow's Tacoma Gallery
in my last car the difference was substantial (03 camry), and it actually would run harsher on 93 than 87, to the point where i was worried i broke something. Havn;t noticed a difference with the tacoma though, it may be because the truck is naturally louder/shakier than the camry and I can't feel the difference as well though.
Old 04-24-2010, 05:12 PM   #12
TacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jackson
TacomaJack09's Tacoma Gallery
I normally use 87 but every now and then I run the good stuff and I can tell a slight difference. Better acceleration, maybe a lil better mpg. I also run Lucas Oil gas treatment, and I can tell a huge difference when I use it compared to when I don't.
Old 04-24-2010, 07:06 PM   #13
def4pos8 is a splendid one to beholddef4pos8 is a splendid one to beholddef4pos8 is a splendid one to beholddef4pos8 is a splendid one to beholddef4pos8 is a splendid one to beholddef4pos8 is a splendid one to beholddef4pos8 is a splendid one to behold
Air Force: Missile Combat Crew
def4pos8's Tacoma Gallery
My 2010 didn't like 87 -- I heard too many bad noises. 91 helped but it truly likes 93. Response improved noticeably and no bad noises. MPG improved during the switch but too many other factors, weather and changeover to synthetic lubricants being most significant, changed such that I can't claim that the different fuel was the sole cause.
Old 04-24-2010, 07:10 PM   #14
Mob parking lots.
ryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: ET2(SS) veteran.
Name: Ryan J. Boutin
ryanjboutin's Tacoma Gallery
I run the cheap stuff. I ran a couple tanks of 93 but didn't notice anything.

The owner's manual says to run the 87, so I do. I throw a can of Seafoam in it every once in a while to clean her up.
Old 04-30-2010, 12:57 PM   #15
DGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Friend
DGXR's Tacoma Gallery
Yes I ran several tanksfull of 91 octane through my 2.7 -- no difference in power or fuel economy or pep or anything, no difference whatsoever (well I lost a little money finding this out.) I'm at 65' altitude... essentially sea level.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:04 PM   #16
Rocking your mom's world Since 1997
drew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

drew02a's Tacoma Gallery
I get better gas mileage with mid grade gas and if feels more responsive. The top level stuff doesn't do anything extra.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:25 PM   #17
frog13 is on a distinguished road
frog13's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagelg View Post
There is another thread in the 2nd Gen page but not too many 2.7 drivers chimed in.

Has any of you 2.7 owners noticed a mpg/performance difference using a higher octane fuel???
Use what the manual says...compression dictates octane.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:58 AM   #18
JEA86 is on a distinguished road
Name: Jeremy
JEA86's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew02a View Post
I get better gas mileage with mid grade gas and if feels more responsive. The top level stuff doesn't do anything extra.
same result for me
Old 02-10-2011, 11:58 AM   #19
JEA86 is on a distinguished road
Name: Jeremy
JEA86's Tacoma Gallery
^^ have you in fact tried this yourself or are you just speculating on what you have read JS
Old 02-10-2011, 12:00 PM   #20
Mob parking lots.
ryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: ET2(SS) veteran.
Name: Ryan J. Boutin
ryanjboutin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhk View Post
The more expensive gas with the higher number will PERFORM WORSE and get WORSE MILEAGE. This is a FACT.

The difference though, may be negligible (in other words, you may not be able to measure it using anything besides a dyno).

Anyone claiming to be experiencing better performance or lower fuel consumption with the expensive stuff is experiencing 100% placebo.
I'll agree with this.