Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Optima Battery ( D35 )

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-08-2010, 06:26 PM   #1
Maintenance Man has a spectacular aura aboutMaintenance Man has a spectacular aura about
Name: Justin
Maintenance Man's Tacoma Gallery
Optima Battery ( D35 )

So, my battery was on its last leg today and I had to buy a new battery. I went ahead and bought a yellow top Optima Battery D35 for my 2.7L Pre-runner. I know this sounds crazy, but I actually believe my truck runs alot better! From a dead stop, with A/C on, starting out in first gear was pretty sluggish if I didnt give enough gas. Now, I can almost start out in first gear with hardly no gas at all.

Anyway, just thought I let all yall know that my Taco runs better with an Optima Battery. Now I am not saying I wouldnt get the same results with a regular new battery, but I didnt buy one of those...

Maintenance Man
Old 05-08-2010, 09:19 PM   #2
Omnipotent
Hootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Hootbro's Tacoma Gallery
Any fresh battery brand would have provided a better voltage for your ignition coil.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:00 AM   #3
Barnone
Barnone's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hootbro View Post
Any fresh battery brand would have provided a better voltage for your ignition coil.
Only if your charging system was malfunctioning.
I think it's like a lot of our mods resulting in the placebo effect.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:58 AM   #4
Maintenance Man has a spectacular aura aboutMaintenance Man has a spectacular aura about
I knew any battery would be better, but I do like the look of that yellow top in my engine compartment. Plus, I have a powerful DC\AC converter that im sure this will help out in.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:00 AM   #5
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
Only if your charging system was malfunctioning.
I think it's like a lot of our mods resulting in the placebo effect.
Correct. Only way the truck would seem to run better, was if too much load was put on the alt., trying to keep the battery charged.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:19 AM   #6
BORN AND RAISED MAUI BOY
numbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: kahai
numbah57's Tacoma Gallery
I was looking to buy a Red top, Anyone know the difference between the Yellow and Red...thanks
Old 05-09-2010, 11:20 AM   #7
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbah57 View Post
I was looking to buy a Red top, Anyone know the difference between the Yellow and Red...thanks
Yellow is a Deep cycle.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:26 AM   #8
MJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Michael
MJonesTrumpet's Tacoma Gallery
Optima's are ok...i'd go for the yellow before red, but I personally just went with a marine die hard platinum which is pretty excellent. I'm a fan of having 4 terminals.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...7&blockType=G7

also, a battery is really only as good as your alternator! just something to think about ^_^
Old 05-09-2010, 03:24 PM   #10
Thats true, I also have been looking at an aftermarket alternator. My 05 Taco has 80k. I figured a new yellow top and a new alternator, I want be having any problems for awhile. I work out of my truck, I rigged up a air compressor in the back and also have a flux core wire fed lincoln welder back there. I havent used any of them with the new battery, but Im guessing they will work better too.
Old 05-09-2010, 03:28 PM   #11
MJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Michael
MJonesTrumpet's Tacoma Gallery
they definately should. I want to get a new alternator...but dont want to spend like 300-400 bucks since mine still works just fine...only have 30k miles on it...
Old 05-09-2010, 04:13 PM   #12
ya, I probably would wait before buying a new alternator too if I had your miles.
Old 05-09-2010, 04:30 PM   #13
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
genxer36's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJonesTrumpet View Post
they definately should. I want to get a new alternator...but dont want to spend like 300-400 bucks since mine still works just fine...only have 30k miles on it...
Yeah no point in wasting the money on something you won't need for a long time. Still using factory alternator & 146,000 miles on my 05.

Products Discussed in this Thread