Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

chg plugs/fuel induction

Old 05-13-2010, 06:34 AM   #1
nw_taco is on a distinguished road

nw_taco's Tacoma Gallery
chg plugs/fuel induction

question from a noob... oil chgd yesterday, shop says i'm due for new spark plugs & "fuel induction cleaning", $89 and $129 jobs, respectively. got an '04, 2.7 4-banger, 52k miles (bought it at 42k). does this sound right? is this something i can do myself? been a loooong time since high school auto shop but willing to re-learn. appreciate the advice.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:25 AM   #2
Barnone
Barnone's Tacoma Gallery
nw,
Nice looking low miles first gen you found.
Yes you can DIY assuming you know how to turn a wrench.
Do some searches her for info.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:57 AM   #3
DGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Friend
DGXR's Tacoma Gallery
I thought the 2.7 was scheduled to run 100k on the iridium plugs...? Some here on TW change the plugs sooner but 100k is what I understand from the manual. Yes you can change them yourself and as Barnone sez do some searches, there are DIYs here on TW and the 4-cyl is easy to maintain. Regarding the fuel injection cleaning, there are some products you can pour into the tank that will remove *some* deposits, and some have hooked a vacuum line to a can of seafoam with good results. But word on the street is, the only way to clean the injectors completely is to remove them from the motor and do an ultrasound or sonic-type cleaning, then reinstall. Sounds expensive to me. I don't think there is any reason to have this sonic cleaning done unless you are having problems with idling/running/drivability that are not remedied by some simple troubleshooting (check air filter, plugs, use some pour-in-tank fi cleaner, etc). Hope this helps you.