Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

turbo or supercharger?

Old 05-22-2010, 10:41 PM   #1
dezert taco is on a distinguished road

dezert taco's Tacoma Gallery
turbo or supercharger?

i have a 99 extra cab 2 wheel drive with a 2.4 5 speed. its my lil desert toy. wanting more power just not sure what to do. turbo or supercharger. im looking for some opinions. maybe keep it N/A? thanks for the help fella's!
Attached Thumbnails
turbo or supercharger?-old-engine-cage-taco.jpg   turbo or supercharger?-my-taco.jpg  
Old 05-22-2010, 10:42 PM   #2
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
Well I vote supercharger, its great for low end torque. I think it would be helpful in the desert too.
Old 05-22-2010, 10:45 PM   #3
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmrider View Post
Well I vote supercharger, its great for low end torque. I think it would be helpful in the desert too.
x2...I was thinkin the same thing dude

There a lil pricey though...God I'd love to throw one on my truck
Old 05-22-2010, 10:51 PM   #4
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtsTRD View Post
x2...I was thinkin the same thing dude

There a lil pricey though...God I'd love to throw one on my truck
if you ever have the opportunity get it, I never planned on getting one but I got the right price and it is so great.
Old 05-22-2010, 10:52 PM   #5
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
if you ever have the opportunity get it, I never planned on getting one but I got the right price and it is so great.
How much quicker is it?
Old 05-22-2010, 10:56 PM   #6

0-60 in the mid 5s, and burning out in 2nd from a roll. Im still working on my 4wd launch its going to be tight
Old 05-22-2010, 11:08 PM   #7

Quote:
0-60 in the mid 5s, and burning out in 2nd from a roll. Im still working on my 4wd launch its going to be tight
Thats bad ass man!
Old 05-22-2010, 11:15 PM   #8

so a turbo would be better for top end? im not doing much low speed crawling type stuff. im usually 5th gear wide open thru the desert.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:02 AM   #9
Low and slow
dually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 14S
dually's Tacoma Gallery
Looks like you're going to have clearance issues with either one, having your engine caged.

Stock block and head arent built to be under boost for long periods of time.. A LOT of heat is created which in turn creates knock and can destroy your engine... For your application, I would leave it stock.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:05 AM   #10
Dirttracker82a is on a distinguished road
Dirttracker82a's Tacoma Gallery
Boost it!!
Old 05-24-2010, 04:48 PM   #11
Barnone
Barnone's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone done this turbo?
2.4L 2.7L T3 CAST TURBO KIT

http://www.streetbeatcustoms.com/Cus...RBO-KIT/17602/
Old 05-24-2010, 05:03 PM   #12
Firefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Josh
Firefighter160's Tacoma Gallery
The 2.4 and 2.7 have alot of compression for a supercharger and for long periods of running in the high rpm range you will wear your engine out a whole lot quicker than a na engine.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:09 PM   #13
98_mud_bug
98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed

98_Mud_bug's Tacoma Gallery
x2 on the heat, unless you have crazy amounts of cooling mods then your gonna kill your engine alot faster..
Old 05-24-2010, 05:11 PM   #14

well i think im gonna buy a used motor and build it to handle boost. and when i grenade the motor ill have a back up. but as for clearance issues im redoing my engine cage because its set up wrong anyway. so ill work around a turbo.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:12 PM   #15
Barnone
Barnone's Tacoma Gallery
Or this one. Appears to be more of a roll your own kit. $499
Someone experienced with turbos might give it a go?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyota-Tacoma-T3T4-TurboCharger-Turbo-Kit-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3cacffb412QQitemZ26060 0476690QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries

Old 05-24-2010, 09:46 PM   #16
BORN AND RAISED MAUI BOY
numbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: kahai
numbah57's Tacoma Gallery
I would love some sort of forced induction in my truck, I like the blow off from the turbo but I would rather the s/c, My friend just supercharged his 4-banging 1st gen and its sick love driving that truck.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:15 PM   #17
Low and slow
dually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dually's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
Anyone done this turbo?
2.4L 2.7L T3 CAST TURBO KIT

http://www.streetbeatcustoms.com/Cus...RBO-KIT/17602/

Junk.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:16 PM   #18
Low and slow

dually's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter160 View Post
The 2.4 and 2.7 have alot of compression for a supercharger and for long periods of running in the high rpm range you will wear your engine out a whole lot quicker than a na engine.
High compression? 9.5:1 isnt very high.. I built a K20 rsx on 11:1.. makes 500@14lbs tuned on E85..
Old 05-24-2010, 10:51 PM   #19
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
genxer36's Tacoma Gallery
Supercharger!

Turbo would add more heat & heat isn't what you want in the desert.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:58 AM   #20
Barnone
Barnone's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dually View Post
Junk.
Have you actually used one of these turbos?