Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

09+ Backup Camera PINOUT

Old 05-26-2010, 09:06 PM   #1
TAC0MA is on a distinguished road

Name: Garrett
TAC0MA's Tacoma Gallery
09+ Backup Camera PINOUT

Dont know if this info has been dropped here at TW or not, just thought I would share my experience.

I have a 2010 regular cab that was prewired for the backup camera but did not come the camera module or the rearview mirror monitor. I recently purchased the camera module from someone here on TW and hooked it up to my Pioneer AVIC F700bt HU. Below is a pic of the camera harness location along with the pinouts to the camera.

BLACK = Camera 12v +
SHEILD = Camera 12v -
RED = Camera Video +
WHITE = Camera Video -

I don't know WHAT Toyota was thinking when they engineered the color code for this, but it is what it is.....

Now for the harness itself, the male socket goes to the camera and the female I assume goes up to where the rear view mirror monitor plugs in. I also found the the 12v power legs of the harness are not hot, I guess they get power from the rearview mirror? So I supplied power to this circuit from the HU along with my video feed up to the HU.

Hope this helps someone!!
Old 05-27-2010, 06:15 AM   #3
C17Guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedC17Guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedC17Guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedC17Guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedC17Guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedC17Guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedC17Guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedC17Guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedC17Guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedC17Guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedC17Guy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 1A2 701 AS Charleston AFB, SC
Name: Dennis
C17Guy's Tacoma Gallery
great job! i'm about to wire my pre-existing camera into my hu! thanks!
Old 05-27-2010, 06:24 AM   #4
MenaceAllen has much to be proud ofMenaceAllen has much to be proud ofMenaceAllen has much to be proud ofMenaceAllen has much to be proud ofMenaceAllen has much to be proud ofMenaceAllen has much to be proud ofMenaceAllen has much to be proud ofMenaceAllen has much to be proud ofMenaceAllen has much to be proud of

Name: Eric
MenaceAllen's Tacoma Gallery
Is it possible to have the backup camera show in my mirror and also have it show up on my HU? I have a Alpine double DIN that will allow a back up camera view. How would I go about splicing it (if I can)?
Old 05-27-2010, 06:33 AM   #5
C17Guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedC17Guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedC17Guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedC17Guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedC17Guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedC17Guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedC17Guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedC17Guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedC17Guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedC17Guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedC17Guy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 1A2 701 AS Charleston AFB, SC
Name: Dennis
C17Guy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MenaceAllen View Post
Is it possible to have the backup camera show in my mirror and also have it show up on my HU? I have a Alpine double DIN that will allow a back up camera view. How would I go about splicing it (if I can)?
yes, you can. i remember seeing a write up on it here, i'll try looking for it. but this is exactly what i plan on doing.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:07 AM   #6
MenaceAllen has much to be proud ofMenaceAllen has much to be proud ofMenaceAllen has much to be proud ofMenaceAllen has much to be proud ofMenaceAllen has much to be proud ofMenaceAllen has much to be proud ofMenaceAllen has much to be proud ofMenaceAllen has much to be proud ofMenaceAllen has much to be proud of

Name: Eric
MenaceAllen's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by C17Guy View Post
yes, you can. i remember seeing a write up on it here, i'll try looking for it. but this is exactly what i plan on doing.

I will try and find it as well. If you come across it please post the link and I will do the same. Thanks!
Old 05-30-2010, 07:22 AM   #7
TAC0MA is on a distinguished road

Name: Garrett
TAC0MA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MenaceAllen View Post
All you would need to do is tap splice into the video circuit, red and white, with an RCA cable and connect that to your HU. Leave the power circuit as it is.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:05 PM   #8
camper101 is on a distinguished road
camper101's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAC0MA View Post
All you would need to do is tap splice into the video circuit, red and white, with an RCA cable and connect that to your HU. Leave the power circuit as it is.
Does this mean that I run the RCA signal into both the red and white wires?

Obviously I have no idea what I'm doing... but I'm trying to get an RCA signal (yellow video plug) into the Tacoma's rearview mirror. I have an extra camera wiring harness that I'm going to splice into.

EDITED TO ADD: I'm basing this off the fact that I just cut a yellow RCA video cable. It seems like there's only one (copper colored) wire inside? Or is the outer silver stuff also wiring that should go to positive or negative?

Thanks
Old 10-13-2012, 06:26 AM   #9
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by camper101 View Post
Does this mean that I run the RCA signal into both the red and white wires?

Obviously I have no idea what I'm doing... but I'm trying to get an RCA signal (yellow video plug) into the Tacoma's rearview mirror. I have an extra camera wiring harness that I'm going to splice into.

EDITED TO ADD: I'm basing this off the fact that I just cut a yellow RCA video cable. It seems like there's only one (copper colored) wire inside? Or is the outer silver stuff also wiring that should go to positive or negative?

Thanks
RCA video cables have the signal or "positive" going through the core, and the ground or "negative" is the shield around the core.
Old 10-13-2012, 02:56 PM   #10
camper101 is on a distinguished road
camper101's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaToy1997 View Post
RCA video cables have the signal or "positive" going through the core, and the ground or "negative" is the shield around the core.
This worked. Thanks again!
Old 04-26-2013, 11:17 AM   #11
Faketannydeluxe
WhiteTacoma09 is a jewel in the roughWhiteTacoma09 is a jewel in the roughWhiteTacoma09 is a jewel in the rough
Name: Curt
WhiteTacoma09's Tacoma Gallery
my rear camera pinout colors are black, blue, red white. blue being (-)?
Old 04-27-2013, 04:14 AM   #12
sciencerabbit is on a distinguished road

Name: John
sciencerabbit's Tacoma Gallery
sub'd
Old 04-27-2013, 08:02 PM   #13
Faketannydeluxe
WhiteTacoma09 is a jewel in the roughWhiteTacoma09 is a jewel in the roughWhiteTacoma09 is a jewel in the rough
Name: Curt
WhiteTacoma09's Tacoma Gallery
drew up this schematic for my 2009 and was wondering if this is how it is for those who have theirs working. thanks.
Old 06-02-2014, 05:22 AM   #14
CrossBonz is on a distinguished road
CrossBonz's Tacoma Gallery

Here is the mirror pinout from my 2011. I recently replaced the stock mirror that has a 3.5" monitor with a Rydeen MV411T that has a 4.3" monitor as well as temperature display and compass (http://www.rydeenmobile.com/Backup%2...rs/MV411T.html).

For those looking to transfer the video signal from the factory mirror to another source such as this mirror or an aftermarket video screen, just adding an RCA connector to the camera wires isn't enough. The power for the factory camera loops through the mirror so when you remove the factory mirror you take away power to the camera.

In addition to adding the RCA wires, you also need to hook up 2 jumper wires to power the camera again. Simply run a jumper (i used a 3 amp fused jumper for safety sake) from the RED reverse trigger wire to the BLACK camera power + wire, and another jumper from the WHITE/BLACK ground wire to the BLACK camera power - wire. This will power up the camera when you place the truck in reverse.

If you're using a mirror like this you can get your accessory power (LIGHT GREEN) and ground (WHITE/BLACK) in the plug as well to power the mirror.