Tacoma World Forums

Tacoma World Forums (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/)
-   4 Cylinder (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/4-cylinder/)
-   -   2.7L oil capacity (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/4-cylinder/129597-2-7l-oil-capacity.html)

05RedTaco 12-21-2010 06:48 AM

2.7L oil capacity

I got to changing my oil in my little 2.7L 2TR engine. First thing I noticed when i checked the oil before draining is that the oil level was one quart ABOVE the full mark on the dipstick. So I was driving around for 4900miles with the engine over filled with oil :rolleyes: Thanks Toyota dealership!

I have put over sized filter on my 2.7L, part number; 90915-YZZD3 and filled the engine with 5 quarts of Castrol Syntec 5w20. I started the engine, made sure I have oil pressure and shut it off. I checked the dipstick and the oil was on the full mark on the dipstick after only FIVE quarts! Keep in mind that the owners manual calls for 6.1 quarts with filter change :eek: I have checked the oil again this morning after the truck has been sitting the whole night and the oil is hair above the full mark, right where it should be.

Now there are two options; Either the owners manual or the dipstick are off by a quart...

chris4x4 12-21-2010 06:58 AM

Follow the manual.

bailerc 12-21-2010 06:59 AM

i thought the 4 bangers ran on sunshine and love ?

05RedTaco 12-21-2010 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris4x4 (Post 2512853)
Follow the manual.

So you are saying that the dipstick is wrong and useless?

chris4x4 12-21-2010 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 08WhiteTaco (Post 2512856)
So you are saying that the dipstick is wrong and useless?

Seems to be the concensus....

05RedTaco 12-21-2010 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris4x4 (Post 2512860)
Seems to be the concensus....

How do you know that the dipstick is wrong, not the owners manual?

Is there any proof pointing to the dipstick to be wrong?

If the dipstick is wrong, did Toyota ever corrected the problem? I would like to have dipstick which reads correctly...

I am not trying to be a dick, just trying to get more info about the problem.

chris4x4 12-21-2010 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 08WhiteTaco (Post 2512867)
How do you know that the dipstick is wrong, not the owners manual?

Is there any proof pointing to the dipstick to be wrong?

If the dipstick is wrong, did Toyota ever corrected the problem? I would like to have dipstick which reads correctly...

I am not trying to be a dick, just trying to get more info about the problem.

All the 2.7's in teh Tacoma take more oil than the V6 brothers. They all hold about 6 quarts. I havent checked yet, But I belive Toyota uses the same dip stick for the V6, as they do the 2.7. This could lead to the disparity. NO engine in a Tacoma was designed to run only 5 quarts. If you choose to follow the dipstick, as opposed to the manual, and only put in 5 quarts, you'd be running the risk of damaging the engine due to oil starvation. Your call.

05RedTaco 12-21-2010 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris4x4 (Post 2512874)
All the 2.7's in teh Tacoma take more oil than the V6 brothers. They all hold about 6 quarts. I havent checked yet, But I belive Toyota uses the same dip stick for the V6, as they do the 2.7. This could lead to the disparity. NO engine in a Tacoma was designed to run only 5 quarts. If you choose to follow the dipstick, as opposed to the manual, and only put in 5 quarts, you'd be running the risk of damaging the engine due to oil starvation. Your call.

I know enough about cars to know about the dangers of running low on oil. However over filling the engine is not good either, because it puts more stress on all the engine seals. To starve the engine of oil, the oil level would have to be quite low, since the oil pickup is way down in the bottom of the oil pan.

Just a guess... The 6.1quarts could be for a dry engine. I know that the 2TR has double balance shafts. From what I know about balance shafts they hold quite a lot of oil and when you change the oil you can't completely drain the oil from the balance shafts.

On my 2.5L Nissan engine, it had single balance shafts, when i removed the balance shafts, I first drained the oil, then removed the oil pan, then took the balance shafts out. Even after the oil was fully drained and the oil pan was off, I still drained about 0.5quarts out of the balance shafts. Before I even took the oil pan off, I drained the oil for good 20minutes...

Ted Nugent 12-21-2010 07:38 AM

I put 6 quarts in and don't touch the dip stick i just trust the manual.

brelandt 12-21-2010 11:16 AM

:) been using 5 quarts for 6 years. No issues.

T@co_Pr3runn3r 12-21-2010 11:27 AM

I'm puttin half qt in the Toyota filter and puttin it on then dumpin 5 quarts in the motor. I figure 1/2 qt low or 1/2 qt over is not gonna matter that much either way so I just split the difference and go on with life with the dipstick saying F. It's stupid for the 2 motors having same dipstick and stupid for the manual to be 1 qt off from dipstick and stupid to waste time worrying about it. If oil is on F then it's on Toyota for having misleading info in manual and/or misleading readings from the dipstick they chose to put in the motor regardless of how many quarts it took to get it on F.

bjmoose 12-21-2010 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 08WhiteTaco (Post 2512902)
Just a guess... The 6.1quarts could be for a dry engine.

My money's on that, and the engine holds a bit of oil - in balance shafts or elsewhere - even after filter's been removed and oil's drained from the drainplug.

91r100gs 12-21-2010 01:15 PM

This subject has been beat to death on the forum. IMHO the 6.1 qt figure is for a dry filll, when there is no oil in the heads or the balance shafts. A DOHC engine will hold quite a bit of oil in the head, as this is sort of a big flat tray where the cams are mounted.

To make the dipstick on my truck show full, requires 5 1/8 qts. 5 quarts fills to just below the full mark. The one time I put in 6 quarts, it showed about a inch above full on the dipstick. Too much oil can, not always, cause foaming of the oil by the crankshaft sloshing it, and air does not lubricate. I trust the dipstick, as Toyota has been using it for at least 6 years now without changing the design, and I dont see any Taco's on the side of the road dead.

My4x4Tacoma 05-28-2012 01:58 PM

Did the first oil change today, at about 2200 miles. It still had the factory fill in it, and the dipstick read right at full before I changed it.

I drained the engine, and the oil out of the filter. About 5 quarts total.

I put 5 quarts in, ran the engine a few minutes, and the dipstick now reads just below full. So my conclusion is that 5 quarts with the filter is about right.

OldDog 05-29-2012 11:32 AM

I just changed my oil. I put 6 qts in. Dip stick tells me its over filled( you can't even get a level line of oil on the dip stick....It sucks ). Which I don't believe .manual says to use 6.1 qts.

wolftree 05-29-2012 12:17 PM

I think I would be verifying I have the correct dipstick at the dealer.

91r100gs 05-29-2012 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldDog (Post 5157292)
I just changed my oil. I put 6 qts in. Dip stick tells me its over filled( you can't even get a level line of oil on the dip stick....It sucks ). Which I don't believe .manual says to use 6.1 qts.

OldDog,

Let it sit level overnight, then when you pull the stick look on the back side for the reading. I just use 5.5 and call it a day.

Happy Motoring

allmotorrex 05-29-2012 02:41 PM

^^x2, my manual says 5.5 qts. so thats what goes in and dipstick is dead on everytime! Stop being so paranoid!

silverback 05-31-2012 05:54 PM

This is funny because I just had my oil changed and the guy tells me I had to add an extra quart it took 6! I look back at the previous oil changes all from the same place and they say 5. Now Im thinking....... wtf right? I check the dipstick and it does not read abnormal.
So I may or may not be driving around overfilled. I am more concerned with all the 5 quart changes in the past.

PSJ 06-01-2012 06:21 AM

Here is some more reading on the subject. I have found that 5.5 qts with filter change gets me just above the full line on the stick- thats were I roll...:cool:
(Check out post #75- a response from Toyota on the subject)

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/4-c...dip-stick.html