1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2TRFE Engine Block Coolant Drain

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by zmountainman, Feb 13, 2011.

1. Feb 13, 2011 at 9:13 PM
    zmountainman

zmountainman [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    P.J.
    Vancouver
    Vehicle:
    '05 2.7L 4X4 Access Cab
    Bilstein 5100s
    Hi Folks,

This is my first post but I've been using this site as a great resource of info for the past year since I bought my Taco. Thanks everyone for all the guidance so far.

I've done a bunch of searching but can't seem to find a straight answer on this one. I'm at almost 100k Miles and I want to do a coolant flush.

Can some one please confirm exactly where the coolant drain plug is on the engine? Is it the large bolt right in the middle of this photo? The diagram in the OEM Repair Manual doesn't seem to make sense.

Many thanks in advance for the help!

Cheers,

Z

DSC_7862.jpg

2. Feb 13, 2011 at 9:41 PM
    afd23a

afd23a Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dynamo of Dixie
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Factory Fog Lights, Removed Secondary Air Filter, Metra Ipod Adapter, Int Wiper Stalk, Wet Okole's, URD Short Shifter, Scanguage II w/Blendmount, Fat Bob's 2.75" spacer lift, ARE topper, SP Performance Pads & Slotted Rotors, 4.10 gears
    NO that is not the coolant drain on the engine block.

To drain the coolant from the block and radiator like the fsm says, you will need to open the drain on the radiator and the one on the block. The one on the radiator is on the driver's side and is pretty easy to find. The engine block drain is on the passenger side of the engine block just below the exhaust headers. It is a different color than the engine block and is L shaped. Just loosen the bolt on the end of it to let the coolant out. See picture below. Both drains have a spout for you to attach a piece of tubing to so that you can direct the coolant into a jug or bucket.

[​IMG]

Mike6024 likes this.
  3. Feb 14, 2011 at 8:13 PM
    zmountainman

zmountainman [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    P.J.
    Vancouver
    Vehicle:
    '05 2.7L 4X4 Access Cab
    Bilstein 5100s
    Thanks a ton for that photo. Just what I was looking for. I did not notice anything like that on the motor yesterday but will check again tomorrow. Seems pretty obvious. Dunno how I missed that!
    Thanks again!

4. Feb 15, 2011 at 6:52 AM
    afd23a

afd23a Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dynamo of Dixie
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Factory Fog Lights, Removed Secondary Air Filter, Metra Ipod Adapter, Int Wiper Stalk, Wet Okole's, URD Short Shifter, Scanguage II w/Blendmount, Fat Bob's 2.75" spacer lift, ARE topper, SP Performance Pads & Slotted Rotors, 4.10 gears
    No problem. It took a little while for me to find it too. The fsm makes it look like the drain is on the driver's side. It wasn't until I read something about it's location on a first gen that I began looking on the passenger's side of the engine. BTW, in the above picture just to the left of the drain is a large bolt head. If I remember correctly that is part of the oil filter mounting assembly. In other words the oil filter is slightly below and to the rear of the truck from the coolant drain.

5. Mar 6, 2011 at 5:34 PM
    zmountainman

zmountainman [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    P.J.
    Vancouver
    Vehicle:
    '05 2.7L 4X4 Access Cab
    Bilstein 5100s
    Finally got around to doing the coolant flush. Drain, refill, no problem.

I'm a bit concerned however because when I run the truck for 10 - 15 mins, the upper rad hose gets quite hot and the lower hose is cold. I read a thread on here where someone had the same issue but I can't remember what the solution was. I remember he went after the thermostat but I'm not sure if that was it. Where is the thermostat incidentally?

Anyone have any thoughts?

Many thanks in advance for your expertise! This is an awesome resource!!

Cheers,

Z

6. Nov 2, 2011 at 12:08 PM
    MountainMike

MountainMike Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    '99 Tacoma
    X2 I have the same problem. From what I have read in my Haynes Manual this would seem to indicate that the thermostat is stuck closed and not allowing coolant to circulate. However, I would like some confirmation before I start pulling parts off the motor. Any advice you could offer would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

7. Nov 2, 2011 at 12:35 PM
    zmountainman

zmountainman [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    P.J.
    Vancouver
    Vehicle:
    '05 2.7L 4X4 Access Cab
    Bilstein 5100s
    Don't worry about it. One of the mechanics at the stealership told me that's just the way it is. A very efficient radiator I guess. My thermostat was just fine. I topped up the coolant once after the initial fill and the truck has run perfectly for the last 10,000 miles.

8. Nov 3, 2011 at 5:08 PM
    MountainMike

MountainMike Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    '99 Tacoma
    Thanks for the reply. I could smell coolant so I went ahead and changed the thermostat since it is such a cheap fix. $14 thermostat, a $4 gasket and a little coolant later my truck is just like new. Gotta love the four banger for being so damn easy to work on!

Products Discussed in

To Top