1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Oil Filter Scam/Tips

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by jking3002, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Aug 24, 2011 at 5:55 PM
    jking3002

jking3002 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    Scion tC
    Ricer muffler, window tent, trd shift knob.
    Just changed the oil on my 4-banger and noticed that I had a hell of a time getting the old filter off. The standard cap-type filter wrench wouldn't fit the Toyota filter (the filter was too narrow), so I had to use a strap wrench, which on the 4x4 4-bangers is a PAIN to get onto the filter with room to twist.

My question is two parts- Did the dealership put the wrong filter on at my last oil change, or do Toyota filters just run skinny?

Second, does anyone have any secrets for changing the filters on the 2.7 4x4s/PreRunnners? That space is SMALL!

Obviously, I will be fine next time as my cap-type wrench worked wit my replacement filter, just curious for a lessons learned type of thing.

2. Aug 24, 2011 at 6:07 PM
    worthywads

worthywads Well-Known Member

Member:
    Peoples Republic of Boulder
    Vehicle:
    05 5-lug access I4 Stick, 70 Challenger Vert
    I picked up one of the variable size socket type and like it a lot.

Even with the 5-lug, a creeper the socket and an 8' extension on the rachet works great.

3. Aug 24, 2011 at 6:32 PM
    afd23a

afd23a Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dynamo of Dixie
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Factory Fog Lights, Removed Secondary Air Filter, Metra Ipod Adapter, Int Wiper Stalk, Wet Okole's, URD Short Shifter, Scanguage II w/Blendmount, Fat Bob's 2.75" spacer lift, ARE topper, SP Performance Pads & Slotted Rotors, 4.10 gears
    There are end cap wrenches that fit. I used to really tighten my filter down but then always had a hard time getting it off, even with the end cap wrench. This last time I hand tightened it as much as I could. Haven't had to take it off yet and haven't noticed any leaks either.

4. Aug 24, 2011 at 6:38 PM
    Tylerm5000

Tylerm5000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    1995.5 2.7l reg cab 4x4 5-speed red pearl
    Alcan stock height 4-leaf springs, greaseable main eye bolts, OME greaseable shackles, all energy suspension bushings, 2-row extra deep radiator, KYB gas-a-just shocks. ALL LED exterior and interior lighting including custom tail lights and blinkers.
    I usually have enough oil on my hands to where I can hand tighten it until my hand spins on it. Then I dry my hand off and give it a little snug. No problems yet.
    I have a really nice wrench that looks like a pair of channel locks to take the old one off.

5. Aug 27, 2011 at 4:34 PM
    Paulie

Paulie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paulie
    USA
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    I took the front skid plate off to sand and paint. It never went back on. The filter is a piece of cake.

6. Aug 28, 2011 at 7:30 AM
    jking3002

jking3002 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    Scion tC
    Ricer muffler, window tent, trd shift knob.
    Paulie, I was this |-| close to taking the plate off to do the oil change, but I figured it would be torqued down a lot. Was it difficult to get off?

Products Discussed in

To Top