1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

feels like the clutch/ transmission is slipping??

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by toyotaxo25, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Jan 21, 2012 at 1:05 PM
    toyotaxo25

toyotaxo25 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    09 I4 4x4
    no mods yet
    Hey everyone, I just purchased my first tacoma yesterday, a 2009 I4 4x4 access cab 5spd with 21k miles. While I was driving it last night when I would hammer it in 2nd and 3rd the rpms would rip up with the MPH staying roughly the same. Then the rpms would drop a little bit (like it was grabbing) then MPH would climb like it was suppose to. The tires were definately not breaking loose. Is the clutch shot?? Would this be covered under the factory warranty??
    Any help would be much appreciated.

I took it over too the DMV today to get some forms, it was a tank on the snow covered roads, love this truck.

2. Jan 21, 2012 at 1:09 PM
    jflan

jflan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    09 Access 4x4 2.7L manual SR5
    SnugTop SuperSport Sportsman keyless cap Weathertech mats - OEM skidplate - OEM hitch
    There's supposedly a TSB on this issue with the 2.7 manual.
    Search around, you'll find a couple of threads on it.

3. Jan 21, 2012 at 3:59 PM
    toyotaxo25

toyotaxo25 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    09 I4 4x4
    no mods yet
    thanks jflan, I found the tsb. I hope I can get this done with out any problems.

4. Jan 28, 2012 at 7:24 AM
    toyotaxo25

toyotaxo25 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    09 I4 4x4
    no mods yet
    I took my truck into the dealer on thursday, they ordered a new clutch dropping it off on tuesday. Dealer said everything is covered. Thanks for the help on this.

5. Jan 28, 2012 at 7:28 AM
    AndrewFalk

AndrewFalk Science!

Member:
    The North East
    Vehicle:
    2010 5 speed 5 lug
    :)
    How did you bring this up to the dealership? Did you refer to the TSB? My clutch isn't slipping, but I have a sneaking suspicion that I have one of the Luk clutches, and I don't feel that I'm going to get a lot of miles on it.

6. Jan 28, 2012 at 8:14 AM
    toyotaxo25

toyotaxo25 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    09 I4 4x4
    no mods yet
    I didnt bring up the TSB number, (I had it ready depending on how they were going to respond) I told them that I felt it slipping when I first picked the truck up, although I could not replicate the slippage in the past couple of days. I also told them there was some lateral movement in the clutch pedal when it was depressed and that I did some research on the problem and to my knowledge there was two different clutches that were installed in these trucks, one being the LUK and was much more inferior which was causing problems in a number of trucks like mine. They took the truck on two test drives, I watched them from the waiting room, they were romping on it. While the truck was there they fixed the recall on the accelarator pedal, took 30 minutes. After 50 minutes the service manager met me in the waiting room and said he ordered a new clutch that will be much better than what is in it now...... he didnt say it was slipping rather it had the sensation it was slipping

7. Jan 28, 2012 at 9:52 AM
    AndrewFalk

AndrewFalk Science!

Member:
    The North East
    Vehicle:
    2010 5 speed 5 lug
    :)
    Perfect. Thank you very much!

I'm going to the dealership today for an alignment, so I'll be sure to mention my thoughts on the clutch.

8. Jan 28, 2012 at 3:41 PM
    Tepidy

Tepidy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    11 tacoma 4x4
    Toytec Coil Overs 3.00" DSM UCA's (Desert Products) TSB 4 Leaf w/AAL by Pro Comp Bilstein 5100 rear 1"ToyTec SwayBar Drops 1" diff drop Detroit Trutrac Rear Diff Nitro 4.56 Gears Doug Thornley Header MagnaFlow Cat Back Exhaust Custom Built Rear Plate Bumper Custom Built Front Plate Bumper 4X Innovations Rock Sliders ATO Front Skid BAMF Rear Diff Skid Uniden 510XL Pro CB Raceline Renegades BF Goodrich Mud Terrains KM2's 265x75x16 WeatherTechs Rear Diff breather Relocate Intake Resonator Removed Yellow Wire Mod
    got my clutch replaced at under 10k. It has been mentioned that some of our trucks were fitted with made in japan clutches and some were fitted with made in usa clutches. Apparantly the ones fitted with usa clutches are having premature problems.

Products Discussed in

To Top