1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

PCV Valve?

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by RBaptist, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Feb 25, 2012 at 10:21 PM
    RBaptist

RBaptist [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Newnan, Ga
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport - Magnetic Grey
    Hello,
    quick question - is there a PCV valve on the 2.7L (2007)? The online service manual talks about checking the ventilation valve, but I honestly cannot seem to find it (and no real details in the manual). I was told that there was not a PCV valve on the 2.7, but now I am not so sure. Any help would be appreciated!

Regards,
    Robert

2. Feb 26, 2012 at 6:34 AM
    ecoterragaia

ecoterragaia Everyone lives downstream.

Member:
    Central Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2006 RC 4X4 5 speed & 2021 4Runner SR5
    Yes there is, I changed mine out last year. It's on the very back and top of the valve cover, you'll have to be on the passenger side of the engine bay to see it. You might have to remove the intake resonator, I can't remember. It's a threaded plastic tube that screws into the plastic valve cover, so you'll have to be very careful when tightening the new one to make sure you don't strip anything. I got the new valve from the dealership for something like 7 or 8 dollars.

I don't know where to find an engine diagram to show you. If someone has a picture of the engine bay looking at it from the passenger's side I'll mark it up for you.

3. Mar 10, 2012 at 8:24 AM
    RBaptist

Member:
    Newnan, Ga
    Vehicle:
    Interesting - I just looked and I don't see it on there. Didn't think that there were multiple variants of the 2.7 for the 2005+ Tacoma. I may need to ask the dealer about that then....

4. Mar 10, 2012 at 8:49 PM
    afd23a

afd23a Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dynamo of Dixie
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Factory Fog Lights, Removed Secondary Air Filter, Metra Ipod Adapter, Int Wiper Stalk, Wet Okole's, URD Short Shifter, Scanguage II w/Blendmount, Fat Bob's 2.75" spacer lift, ARE topper, SP Performance Pads & Slotted Rotors, 4.10 gears
    Here's a diagram. The PCV valve is shown on the first page above and to to the left of the text "VENTILATION VALVE SUB ASSEMBLY". It's also shown on page EM 108 in the second diagram. The valve is hard to see on the vehicle but it's there. It's also kind of difficult to get to and remove because of it's proximity to the firewall and the wiring harness. Here are a couple of tips from my experience with mine.

1. If you decide to clean the PCV valve make sure the solvent you use is safe for plastics. I cleaned mine with some Berryman carb cleaner which may have weakened the plastic. When I put the valve back in, the threaded portion broke off in the engine. Luckily I was able to get it out without too much trouble.

2. If you decide to replace your PCV valve, get an OEM valve from the dealer. When I broke mine it was at 5pm on a Friday. My only option was to try auto parts stores. NAPA carries one for the tacoma. It's all metal and it sort of fits but not very well. I ran that one for about a week before I was able to get an OEM one from the dealer.

5. Mar 11, 2012 at 6:08 PM
    RBaptist

Member:
    Newnan, Ga
    Vehicle:
    :thumbsup:

Thanks afd23a & ecoterragaia. I'll check it out next weekend! Probably time to check it (116K on the truck).

6. Mar 12, 2012 at 5:37 PM
    afd23a

afd23a Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dynamo of Dixie
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Factory Fog Lights, Removed Secondary Air Filter, Metra Ipod Adapter, Int Wiper Stalk, Wet Okole's, URD Short Shifter, Scanguage II w/Blendmount, Fat Bob's 2.75" spacer lift, ARE topper, SP Performance Pads & Slotted Rotors, 4.10 gears
    When I checked mine I had around 120k on it. The valve rattled when I shook it so it was probably still good until I broke it.

7. Mar 13, 2012 at 10:02 AM
    ecoterragaia

ecoterragaia Everyone lives downstream.

Member:
    Central Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2006 RC 4X4 5 speed & 2021 4Runner SR5
    Yeah, for an engine part it seems to be pretty fragile. OP just be really careful tightening and loosening it and you should be fine.

I only changed mine because I thought there was something wrong with the way the engine holds at 2100 rpms on a cold start for 10 seconds or so. Nothing I've done has helped so I've just given up on trying to 'fix' this issue.

8. Mar 13, 2012 at 4:40 PM
    afd23a

afd23a Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dynamo of Dixie
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    From what I've read that's normal on the 4 bangers. I think it's so that the oil pressure gets up high enough to run the VVT.

Products Discussed in

To Top