1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

First Brake Job Advice?

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by joshhemming, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Mar 10, 2012 at 5:11 PM
    joshhemming

joshhemming [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    El Paso
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma SR5 2.4L Extended Cab
    My 2003 2wd Extended Cab 2.4L only has 57K but I'm starting to hear a rubbing/hissing/scratching noise sometimes when I apply the brakes. I recently replaced the disk pads, rotors and bearings on an old Ford Aerostar myself so I have a general idea how SOME of the disk brake setups are. I'm planning on repacking the wheel bearings and having the rotors turned when I change the disk pads on my Tacoma. My question:

Does my Tacoma have the same, Ford-type setup for the front wheel bearings (dust/grease cap, cotter pin, castle nut, spindle nut, washer, outer bearing, inner bearing, inner grease seal) or is it one of the newer self-contained bearings that doesn't require repacking?

2. Mar 10, 2012 at 8:20 PM
    Trifenix

Trifenix Well-Known Member

Member:
    so cal
    Vehicle:
    99 LT 5 lug Taco
  3. Mar 10, 2012 at 8:30 PM
    Warhorseforever

Warhorseforever Will The Thrill

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Sand Lapper
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner SR5
    Kenwood KDC-348U HU Kicker DS65 Front Doors Only 2 Polk Audio MM840 Kenwood KAC 8105D for subs SuperCrewSound.com behind rear seat sub box
    I would consider it cheap insurance to replace the bearing while I had everything apart. However if they don't show signs of wear, scratching, pitting, gouges, or a weird sound from them like there may be sand or something in them then they should be fine to put back in repacked of course. A factory service manual is worth its weight in gold when it comes to stuff you're unsure of you can buy one for around $20-$30, I prefer Haynes manuals, but you can access on free . As far as the noises it may just be some dirt or built up brake dust that you hear rubbing around, hit it with some brake parts cleaner and a nice wipe down and that may save you the headache of going through the brakes and pulling everything apart.

4. Mar 10, 2012 at 8:35 PM
    Tylerm5000

Tylerm5000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    1995.5 2.7l reg cab 4x4 5-speed red pearl
    Alcan stock height 4-leaf springs, greaseable main eye bolts, OME greaseable shackles, all energy suspension bushings, 2-row extra deep radiator, KYB gas-a-just shocks. ALL LED exterior and interior lighting including custom tail lights and blinkers.
    I wasn't able to repack mine. The two halves don't seem to separate. You will need to replace the entire bearing. There is a special tool to take the nut off. And it needs to be torqued to spec. Under the inner wheel seal is the retaining clip that must come out for the bearing to press out of the spindle so that the hub can be pressed out of the bearing.

5. Mar 11, 2012 at 9:26 AM
    joshhemming

joshhemming [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    El Paso
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma SR5 2.4L Extended Cab
    I think your's has a different setup than mine, since yours is a Generation 2 and mine a Gen 1. Plus, don't 4x4s have different brakes than 2wd?

Anyway, I downloaded a diagram of the hub, rotor and bearings for my 2003 from the excellent source Warhorseforever provided and it looks almost identical to the ones on my AeroStar. The bearings on that one slipped right out. Only difference is the Aerostar's hub and rotor are one assembly, whereas the Tacoma's rotor is separate from the hub assembly.

Products Discussed in

To Top