1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Best modifications

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by FD Harrison, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Apr 11, 2012 at 3:33 PM
    FD Harrison

FD Harrison [OP] "New Guy on the meat wagon"

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 Regular 4x4
    Westin Style Grille guard, Lund Interceptor bug guard, Lund tanneou cover, Ziebart service (Underbody spray, Diamond gloss, scotch guard, ETC)
    Alright here is the deal. I will admit I am not the best when it comes to the whole technical jargon. After I finally get this truck paid off this year is when the modifications begin! :D

-Modifications looking to do-

1.) Whole suspension lift- I am looking at toytec or OME. I will admit that I not going to do any serious off-roading. If I ever do, it would be something mild. This is really for looks.
    2.) Leer 100R Cap
    3.) New headlights
    4.) ARB bumper
    5.) Window tint

I am just seeking advice as I know many of you on here is much more knowledgeable and experienced then I in this department. This is kinda going to be save for a bit and modify on the way budget. I just need to figure what and get prices first.
    Thanks.

2. Apr 29, 2012 at 8:43 PM
    WVToyota3214

WVToyota3214 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Silver 08 Reg. Can 4x4
    Glass pack, Dick Cepek rims new tires, that's it for now
    My buddy has an arb bumper and the thing is a tank man. Its a
    Great bumper ready for wench and that thin could run over a cow and not hurt it we hit a deer the other day doing about 35 40 mph and it was just a little**ping** plus it looks badass he paid 850$ for his but that was about a year ago so don't really know the price range now

3. Apr 30, 2012 at 6:38 AM
    FD Harrison

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 Regular 4x4
    Westin Style Grille guard, Lund Interceptor bug guard, Lund tanneou cover, Ziebart service (Underbody spray, Diamond gloss, scotch guard, ETC)
    Thats awesome. how fimilar are you on suspensions? Its something that I have been pondering for a few weeks. I am still alittle uncertain if OME is the best way to go.

4. May 2, 2012 at 1:01 AM
    4Wheelin4Banger

4Wheelin4Banger Supercharged Toyman

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Ferntucky, NV Halfway between Reno & Falabama
    Vehicle:
    2011 4x4 Access Cab Supercharged Silver State Edition 245WHP
    3" OME lift 885s & Dakars riding on 33" KM2s
    Get the shocks and springs that were designed to go together OME. Watch the video.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Suspension systems, especially when referring to 4WDs, are extremely complex. Determining the right solution for each 4WD requires special attention to many factors, with weight being the most critical. Old Man Emu 4x4 suspension by ARB approaches this in a unique way.
    This relationship between vehicle weight and suspension is where Old Man Emu gets its name - the emu is a large Australian flightless bird, when it runs, its powerful legs absorb most of the impact, allowing it to move over all types of terrain while its body remains virtually motionless. This is what Old Man Emu strives to achieve with its range of fully integrated 4x4 shocks and suspension systems. Old Man Emu suspension systems include carefully matched spring and shock combinations engineered to improve vehicle ride, handling and control under various loads.
    A single suspension lift kit system designed to suit a multitude of users simply isn't practical, as each user's preferences will dictate how the vehicle is outfitted and used. Despite these differences, most aftermarket 4x4 suspension systems are only available in a single configuration, with suspension lift height often being your only option.
    At OME, instead of merely offering a suspension lift kit that's little more than a compilation of parts aimed at raising your truck's height, we offer a range of tuned and matched integrated systems, each offering varying degrees of comfort, load carrying capability & control characteristics. The components are designed by ARB with an unrelenting, no compromise approach.
    Shock absorbers and springs for each new vehicle start off as prototypes, and are tested and modified in a variety of terrains and with varying loads. These trials and modifications can take weeks of testing in order to ensure the best possible combination for each application.
    We test and modify, test and modify and continue to do so for as long as it takes to ensure each shock and spring combination is ideally suited to a vehicle, its varying weights, the driver's suspension lift requirements and the terrain it'll encounter.

5. May 7, 2012 at 1:52 PM
    FD Harrison

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 Regular 4x4
    Sold lol Since I have been researching suspension lifts. A few questions have come up. 1.) I haven't noticed yet thou is the topic of re-gearing. Would I have to regear with a lift? 2.) Should I wait and have the ARB bumper installed at once? 3.) For a 2-2.5 inch lift, Do you think I need UCA and a diff. drop?

6. May 7, 2012 at 4:39 PM
    2004TacomaSR5

2004TacomaSR5 Nemesis Prime

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DCSB & 1980 Toyota Pickup 4WD
    Tacoma is stock and staying that way, Pickup is TBA as of now.
    You're gonna lift it and not even use it properly? Might as well put the money toward a URD supercharger instead!

7. May 8, 2012 at 5:39 AM
    FD Harrison

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 Regular 4x4
    See thats why I am asking. Right now I am not going to be off-roading too much since there is nothing out my way. If I dont have to regear now then I will hold off. I know I wanna lift it but I only want to do it once.

8. May 8, 2012 at 7:41 AM
    4Wheelin4Banger

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Vehicle:
    Regearing is for the size of tires you might want to put on it after the lift. How big are you thinking of going?

9. May 9, 2012 at 6:24 AM
    FD Harrison

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 Regular 4x4
    BF Goodrich KM2 M/T 255/85/16 is what I was thinking of getting.

10. May 9, 2012 at 8:56 AM
    4Wheelin4Banger

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Vehicle:
    That's what I run when wheeling (works great & I love them). I still run the stock Dungflops for my 280 mile/week commute.
    Depending on what you use your Taco for you might want to regear for that size or get a new set of wheels for them and only use them when wheeling like I do. I picked up a set of 1st Gen TRDs for $100 off a local 4x4 forum.
    Mine with 3" lift from OME 885s & Dakars with 255/85/16 BFG KM2s on 1st Gen TRDs.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. May 9, 2012 at 9:03 AM
    FD Harrison

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 Regular 4x4
    Say with your lift, did you do a diff drop? Did you need to have UCA installed?

12. May 9, 2012 at 9:25 AM
    4Wheelin4Banger

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Vehicle:
    ^ No & no. Caster is not in spec but it drives fine & caster doesn't effect tire wear.

13. May 9, 2012 at 12:41 PM
    FD Harrison

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 Regular 4x4
    What do you mean by caster? Sorry I am not that technically knowledgable when it comes to trucks.

14. May 9, 2012 at 12:57 PM
    4Wheelin4Banger

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Vehicle:
    Toe looking from above Good l l Bad / \ or \ / 0 is best
    Camber looking from the front Good l l Bad / \ or \ / 0 is best
    Castoer is the angle from vertical the upper & lower ball joint on the spindle are. 2.4 to 3 is best.

15. May 9, 2012 at 1:13 PM
    gozar

gozar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off-Road 4x4
    Not being critical here... just trying to understand, so I thought I'd comment.
    You're thinking about spending a decent sum of money, which would actually decrease the performance of your vehicle for its intended use. Note that I said, "for its intended use".

Your truck will be heavier, not corner as well and get worse gas mileage.
    But it will look cool.

Really really really - not trying to be a jerk or make a value judgement or anything like that, but just curious about how people think.

16. May 10, 2012 at 5:38 AM
    FD Harrison

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 Regular 4x4
    I understand that is a side effect of going with the lift kit. I figure I only want to spend money on everything once. I plan on keeping/driving the thing till it dies. Eventually I would not mind going camping outwest eventually. Thats all.

17. May 10, 2012 at 5:49 AM
    AzogSS

AzogSS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Soda City, SC
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma / 2011 FJC
    If the OP plans on installing an ARB he will have to beef up the suspension anyways. My vote is ARB/OME.

18. May 11, 2012 at 8:40 AM
    FD Harrison

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 Regular 4x4
    OP? I cant say I ever heard of that before. Is that the set up you run?

19. May 11, 2012 at 8:53 AM
    TacoFMS

TacoFMS Bubble bubble bubble pop

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Louisa County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Just a vehicle to take trash to the dump
    One or two things modded... Check out the build thread
    you are the OP(original poster)

20. May 11, 2012 at 9:55 AM
    FD Harrison

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 Regular 4x4
    Ah I gotcha! Thank you! Duh lol

Products Discussed in

To Top